IUI to IVF back to IUI? (MENTS/MC)

Hi Everyone,

Going into my fifth year now of TTC. With about 5 IUI's and 5 IVF's, 2013 seems like this could be my last year at this (I'm also 39 and tired). I'm currently with Cornell and Dr. Braverman (had two other RE's prior). But chances are likely that I am going to leave Cornell and just stay with Dr. B. who I am very happy with right now. I had a hysteroscopy done at Cornell back in November and they removed a Polyp. I also had to push them to do the hysterscopy because I said I will not do another IVF without doing that first. Also had a laporoscopy in early 2012 and was diagnosed with stage 2 Endometriosis. Pretty much still unexplained infertility.

After the Hysteroscopy in November I felt like my acting RE blew me off when I mentioned going back to IUI. My last two IVF's were at Cornell and one of them was a chemical pregnancy. The chemical pregnancy was the closest I've gotten so I really thought that my July 2012 attempt would work but it didn't. They pretty much said that I should try IVF again. Sure, maybe if I win the lottery. I'm out of pocket for everything.

Sorry for the rant so I'll try to make this short. I decided to go to Dr. Braverman and test for immune issues. My husband and I tested normal. I did am IUI cycle on Letrozole with Dr. Braverman in December. I got a positive but didn't get my hopes up. I just mc on Friday, January 4th (was about 3 weeks). But I was shocked that I even got pregnant. Could it have been the polyp removal that helped? But the polyp was pretty small. I'm considering doing another IUI or two rather than IVF.

Any successes of anyone doing IVF and going back to IUI and having success?

Thanks for listening. This board has been my life line. Wishing everyone all the best.

Kadem

5 replies. Join the discussion

I do not have a personal story but one of the ladies that I talk to did just that. She did 3 IVFs but only made it to transfer once. She went back to iui and MENTS is currently 13 weeks. She is 40 so it does work. I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I've had 3 unsuccessful iuis and 4 failed IVFs with 2 chemical m/cs end MENTS so I'm right behind you. I love this board to. I've been on boards now for 2 years and I love when people I talk to get their happy endings but I'm beginning to feel that I'm one of the only ones left on the other boards I chat on. This one makes me feel like I'm never alone. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Thank you so much Hoping4thebest11! I'm still recovering from last week but feeling better day by day. I'm back on all of my vitamins again and plan on hitting the gym this weekend to get back into the groove. I'll be working on my finances as well this weekend to figure out how much I currently owe and see what I can afford next. Realistically I can only afford IUI anyway.
I feel like the clock is just ticking on me and my options are really dwindling. The financial aspect is also a killer. I'm still sifting through my bills from Cornell and the billing department is not very helpful. I'll keep you posted.

Kadem1973, you are an inspiration. This is why i like coming to this board. I do not have a personal history like yours but I am aspiring to do IUI after 2 failed IVFs. I lost one as a m/c and another at 21 weeks this last december. After 2 weeks I have started going to the gym and have noted a difference personally and even people did. One of my teacher colleagues had two kids at 40 and 41. I totally get your exhaustion. Been trying for 5 yrs myself and getting to a point. I want to try IUI next because we are literally broke paying for IVF without any insurance coverage for IVF.
And Hopingforthebest11, I think you are very strong too. We have to encourage each other and I do believe our time will come. I know it is very painful to see others succeed and having nothing work out for us but at the same time there are people like us and we need to push each other.
I would really like to know if IUI works out for you ladies. Please keep me posted.

kadem1973, don't give up hope! After two IVF's and 3 back to back IUI's (6 IUIs), I finally had a myomectomy done (to remove fibroids that my RE said were not a problem). Guess what? After 3 more medicated IUI's (with a totally different provider) MENTS...................................................................... ........................................................................... ...............
........................................................................... ........................................................................... ........................................................................... ........................................................................... .
I am currently 10 weeks with a singleton and hoping for it to continue. Prior to the myomectomy, I had 4 miscarriages in one year. END MENTS

I think the myomectomy and a change in provider were wish decisions. Wishing you the best!

Thanks everyone, feeling good and taking a small break. Just treated myself to a new gym membership and can't wait to take a zumba class this week. Will enjoy myself this week until I make a decision on my next move. Almost finished with my appeal letters to my insurance carrier...arghh.

Good **Ments****
VikingPrincess, that's such great news. Take good care of yourself. That was a good move to change your RE. Best wishes to you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders