IUI and Exercise

If all goes well with my follicle study today, I'll have my third IUI tomorrow. We are so hopeful that this one will work! I am looking for advice about exercise after an IUI. I usually run about 4-5 days per week (not fast, a steady pace), with a long run (6-10 miles) on the weekends. For me, it is really for my mental health because running relaxes me. I have asked my doctor before about exercise and pregnancy rate, and she has said there's no correlation. But I don't want to take any chances if there's even a small possibility running could pose a risk to getting a BFP this month. What do you think? I can't decide if I'll be more stressed out if I don't run (because I miss having that routine) or if I do run (worrying that the exercise could hurt my pregnancy rate). Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated!

8 replies. Join the discussion

Personally, I err on the side of caution when it comes to these things. After all the money and heartache that I've put into this process, it's my belief that it's smart to give myself the best chance for implantation/pg. If that means taking it easy (not running) for a few days or even a few weeks, then so be it., IMHO.

I know it's a stressful time but maybe you could try out some other ways of relieving the stress. If it's the meditative part of the running you are chasing, maybe try guided meditation to destress and relax? If it's the physical exhaustion/muscle fatigue then maybe switch to walking? Or both? Yes, it will be different. But who knows....it could be different in a good way.

Our bodies are all unique and there's really no way to know if running for one person is doing more harm than good to their chances of BFP. Did you specifically ask your doc about the details of your running routine or just exercise in general?

Best of luck! I hope you find a solution you are comfortable with to help you de-stress. Here's hoping for a BFP!

Katie

My Dr. always says if you second guess yourself about doing anything... dont do it. She also said it might put your mind at ease knowing you are doing everything possible to have this work, so treat your body as if you are already pregnant. After IUI's I know many women, including myself that just take a day or two of partial bedrest...just laying around watching movies or reading. Just relax.
Good luck!!!

Thanks, Katie. That is good advice and I appreciate you responding. When I asked my doctor about it, I explained that I was training for a half marathon (longer, more intense runs), and I asked her if she thought it would be fine to run in the half. She said it should be fine, and I did run and felt great during the race. But right after the race, my blood pressure dropped and I almost passed out. My IUI failed a week or so later. I don't know if the two things are related, but I have wondered if I shouldn't just err on the side of caution. It just helps me to see what other people in my same situation might do, so thanks again for your help.

Good luck to you too!

My RE said for me to take it easy for 48 hours after my IUI's. The reason he gave was that when you are exercising your blood and oxygen are going to the muscles rather than to your uterus or other areas that may need it. He did say that after the 48 hours, it was fine to resume normal activity and if running was normal for you, than it was OK. Good luck with your IUI!

Mandy

I'd agree with Yellek. I would take it easy for a short spell right after the IUI. They tell pregnant women if they were active before they got pregnant they can continue as long as you listen to you body and don't push yourself to far. Does walking give you the same satisfaction as running? For those of us less inclined to enjoy exericse the idea of taking time to lay around sounds great but for people who are use to being active laying around is almost stressful. Talk to your doc and take care of you, think positive and be confident in whatever decision you make.

Just happened upon this when I was looking for another book...
Runner's World Guide to Running and Pregnancy: How to Stay Fit, Keep Safe, and Have a Healthy Baby
by Chris Lundgren

hopes this helps

Thanks so much to everyone for your responses. It really helps to get ideas from people who understand what I'm going through!

The IUI went great this morning. And the 2WW begins! Good luck to everyone!

Hi, Being an avid runner I know how hard it is not to run. My new re gave specific instructions of rest for 2 days and no high impact workouts ie: running. Walking, swimming and light weights are ok, my friend who sees a different md received the same instructions. Don't know the rationale behind this but at this point I just follow what the Dr tells me. Good Luck

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders