Hyrdosalpinx and Salpingectomy (Fallopian Tube removal) & My Story

So, I've been lurking on these boards thanks to the recommendation of a friend for some years now. I’ll occasionally post comments but rarely actually post a discussion. Here’s my story:

I’m 33 years old. My DH and I were married in September of 2008 and were TTC (came off all birth control) for about 3 months before we got married. This is a second marriage for both of us, and to give some background, neither of us felt the need to get married again until we started talking about having children. We got married almost solely based on the idea that we would conceive and felt it was necessary for the legal rights of our children. We’ve enjoyed being married so at least that wasn’t a major mistake.

We discovered DH has azospermia in early 2010 as we figured it was time to look into why we weren’t getting pregnant. Two separate sperm samples showed absolutely NO swimmers! DH underwent a testicular biopsy in April 2010 where some samples were found. At this time we were seeing a HORRIBLE RE in Tucson AZ, Dr. Geleti with AZ Center for Reproductive Endocrinology. This office referred to themselves as the “Walmart of IVF” and convinced us that we had a fabulous shot at conceiving with the samples that came from the biopsy. We were effectively lied to and I’m VERY VERY glad we didn’t pursue our IVF with the practice.

At this point in our journey I realized there was no way we were going to be able to afford IF. I’m a career administrative assistant which makes me VERY marketable and makes it very easy for me to get a job at almost any company I want to work for. I did my research, found a listing of the best employers for Infertility benefits and landed a job that provides me incredible benefits that cover almost all of our costs at the end of 2010. (Do it if you can! http://www.conceiveonline.com/articles/conceives-50-best-fertility-and-adop tion-friendly-companies-2010 ).

We moved from Tucson to Phoenix for this job which was a direct result of our IF struggles. Both of us hate living in Phoenix, but we’ve found some benefits to living here, not the least of which is a new RE Practice to work with. We began seeing Dr. Ketan Patel out of AZ Associates for Reproductive Health in April of 2011. His prognosis was much clearer and hard to swallow. Our samples were not great and they suggested a round of some serious medication followed by a Microtese for DH. We were devastated and declined. Neither of us had any interest in pursuing further procedures for DH at this point. At this juncture we decided we both needed a mental break and we take a year off from the IF struggles.

Fast forward to October 2012 when we start back on the IF wagon with an appointment to see Dr. Mark Amols (Dr. Patel’s partner out of a satellite office closer to home and work). We discuss our options and I am scheduled for an HSG when my next cycle arrives. November 20th I have my HSG and we discover that I’m IF as well!!! (what are the odds?!!) I have very large hydrosalpinges on both fallopian tubes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrosalpinx ) I’m scheduled for laparoscopic surgery to have them removed this Friday January 18th and will begin my stims for IVF the first week in March with Dr. Amols. I’m very glad he’s my RE and will be performing the surgery. I couldn’t have asked for a better doctor and his office staff are pretty amazing as well. MENTS- He’s an IF survivor as well, both he and his wife had IF challenges. They have a set of 5 year old twin girls and she recently delivered a set of twin boys both conceived through IVF. Having a doctor that not only sympathizes, but can really empathize with what I’m going through is a godsend!

At this point DH and I have been TTC for 4.5 years and we’re both praying for an IF miracle. I have a very positive outlook and I’m actually very glad that through our IF journey we found these infected tubes and that I’ll have them removed before they could seriously harm me.

Please wish me luck for Friday and as I finally begin walking down the road into the high tech TTC world.

Edited January 15, 2013 at 3:13 pm

6 replies. Join the discussion

Good luck! You might want to make this available to members only to keep your information a little more private.

Welcome :) I also had this procedure done this year. Fortunately, I had the sick time to take and was able to use an entire week to recover and just pamper myself. Unfortunately, no IF insurance benefits here. The surgery was not as bad as I thought it would be. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Best of wishes for Friday!!

Notyetresolved- I actually left it open so that it can be searchable out on the interwebs. If my story can help anyone I'm happy to have it view-able. And I have nothing to hide. My bosses know I sought out my job for the benefits. :) I appreciate the concern though.

Miracles- What were the best and the worst parts for you?

Lets see...the best part was the week off pampering myself! The worst part was probably the nausea I had from the anaesthesia. I was sore but it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would have been. And I'm a huge sissy! In fact, I only took the Vicodin twice that 1st couple days. Everything else was managed with ibprofin.

Your story was very heart felt. I also had a bilateral salpingectony for the same reason as you back in 2006. We started IVF shortly after that. I was only 29. I wish you the best in your high tech IF journey. I'm not going to go into the details of my story as I doesn't seem appropriate here. But you're more than welcome to read my story under my profile. I'm here to answer any questions you may have and offer support.

Ahill1000- Your story is amazing. What a roller coaster to ride! I'm glad to know that even though you had a rough time of it you finally succeeded! Gives a girl hope, ya know?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders