Husbands sperm count 0

My husband just found out yesterday is sperm count was 0. He was married before and they tried for 2 years and nothings. she later went on and got pg so we decided he needed to get tested. I am wondering what this all means what could be the problem? He has a thyroid problem not anything major and he said that puberty came late for him dont know if these are factors are not . any help would be great.

6 replies. Join the discussion

I'd go to a urologist that specializes in infertility. There aren't a whole lot of them, but they'd be the experts. Good luck!

We got the same result from my husband's SA, but were able to quickly trace it to surgery when he was an infant. Sounds like it's not so obvious in your husband's case. It is a devastating test result to get - not that there aren't solutions, but zero is a hard number to hear. Angelsmama is right, the only thing to do right now is get to a urologist who specializes in male infertility. Then you can get an answer and a way to proceed. Best wishes!

usually if it is zero sperm count then it is azoospermia. my husband had it and then after taking ayurveda medicine now has a few sperms. so he has low sperm count now. Please visit my blog is you like. i have shared my experience there.

http://azoospermia-cure.blogspot.com/

best is visit a Dr who specializes in male infertility. Also sperm counts generally fluctuate i think. so dont get too panicky. maybe the next test will be better . Good Luck.

THanks everyone, Yeah his doc is now having him do blood test , I think one is the pituitary glad and then I guess we go from there. Thanks for the responses and support.

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you are going through a very similar thing I am going through. My husband doesn't technically have zero sperm (he has about 200 in a pellet test), but IVF with ICSI is our only option. It's not technically an option for us because we simply aren't going there for our own reasons. Anyway, my husband also had no history of health issues except for a thyroid problem. So strange yours has the same thing. This is going to be really hard to deal with and the shock is terrible. Just remember no matter what the world tries to tell you that there are others just like you. Everyone has their own way of dealing with this, and sadly we have to find a way to deal with it. No matter what you decide to do, you are still a whole healthy person.

This is a loss of a dream, but there are other dreams. There are ways to cope, but it's hard. I suggest getting some therapy because that has helped me a lot. I have a sister in law who is pregnant, and now I'm actually thinking positive about it because I get to be an aunt. She says I can be involved with her daughter, so I am excited. I am reading this book called "never to be a mother" and it's helpful, but it's hard to read. It's hard going from a state of mind where you are so excited about possibly having kids, then realizing the loss that not being able to have them entails.

Anyway, there are some ways to improve sperm count, but the diagnosis is usually quite severe. They don't know what the cause was for my husband, so it's not something they can easily fix. We did find out his testosterone was very low for his age, and his FSH was high. Basically he has testicular failure and it will probably get worse before it gets better.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I remember when we got the call (yes, dr told us over the phone) and all my dreams of our future family came crashing down around us. We were devastated to say the least. I just want to tell you that it does get better with time. You look into your options, get all the facts, and then it just becomes a part of your life. I was mad that we couldn't just make a baby like everyone else seemed to be able to do, but we gathered the facts, weighed our options, and decided donor sperm was the best thing for us. Now I feel like I have a little control back in the baby making department.

Being on the other side of this, I can honestly say that I'm thankful for the journey and where it's taken my family. Good luck to you!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders