How is everyone able to afford IVF

Hi. I have been noticing alot of people who are having IVF's and I was wondering how. I know that my insurance doesn't cover any type of fertility issues, only to prove that one is considered infertile. I desire to attempt to have one but look at the cost and all that is associated with the cost.

28 replies. Join the discussion

We found a clinic that works with ARC (advanced reproductive care), which does Shared Risk IVF programs (you pay a flat fee and get x amount of 'fresh' IVF cycles and FETs), which is MUCH cheaper than payer for each IVF round individually. Plus, I coupled that with putting a good bit of money into my medical flex-spending account. By putting $7,500 in my FSA this year, I was able to spread that amount over all of my paychecks for the entire year, but have the ability to use the entire amount upfront, and tax-free! It's such a good deal, and really takes the sting out of losing that amount of money in one fell swoop. I would definitely check into ARC though, and find out if a RE clinic near you works with them--or if your clinic offers any sort of shared-risk program. It's definitely worth the research.
Best of luck to you!

Thank you for this information. Now I have something to begin my research with. Again, thanks and I send blessings your way. BE Blessed!!!

We thought about ARC as well but you have to come up with a lot more money up front and our RE gave discounts to people for multiple cycles. If it didn't work, we wouldn't have had anything back but if it did we would save a lot of money.

How we paid without insurance - DH worked 3 jobs and I worked 2.

Good luck!

THere are a bunch of ways to go about it.
Some pay out of pocket, some live in states that cover IVF, some move to states that cover IVF, some take out equity loans on their homes, some use savings, some get involved in shared risk programs.

Anyone else jump in here with more ideas.

But if I may....a little self indulgent vent.....I brought up the cost (we were self pay) of our multiple IVF attempts to my MIL, who has more money than many small nations, hoping she would see fit to help us in our family building adventure.
She said, "Sure, let me know when your next cycle is SO I CAN PRAY FOR YOU"

WHAT THE $#@%?????????

vent over but really?

Ann

Ann - ugh! That is so annoying.

Passionate71 - I specifically changed my insurance last December to an insurer that covered IVF treatments. My prior insurer covered IF diagnosis and drugs (under the Rx benefit) at 80%, but no IF treatment (no IUs, no IVFs). Thus, we paid for 3 IUIs out of pocket. My current insurance covers IF diagnosis and treatment at 50% and drugs under the Rx benefit (which is really really good). And my DH and I both put lots of $ into our health care savings accounts. Thus, my advice would be to look at alternative insurances available to you and your DH and see if they cover anything. Also, I know people who have bought a 2d insurance policy just for the IF coverage. We looked into that -- would cost about $1,200 for premiums for a year -- much less than 1 IVF.

Also, I am at a clinic where they have a shared risk program. You pay $20K for up to 6 IVFs. They guarantee you bring a baby home from the hospital or they refund your money.

I know other folks who became part of studies to receive treatment.

Good luck!

libgrl
May I asked where you got a secondary insurance policy that covered IVF? And if you had a phone number, sounds like a good option.

Kim

Thank you for the information. I will begin looking into some of these options. I have insurance through my employer and my husbands. One would think that out of two insurances, at least one would cover IVF. Oh well, guess we'll try another door. Thanks so much...

kisom - I looked at an Aetna and United MDIPA policies (I live in VA). I have a friend who got an Aetna policy (lives in DC). I think the policies are different depending on the state you live in.

passionate71 - are the insurers you and your husband have your only choices of insurers? At my current job and my last job I have a choice of policies -- 3 at my last job, about 10 at my current job. You may not be able to change your policy until the end of the year -- or whenever your employer offers "open season" -- but you can plan for that.

I will consider that as well. I work for the State, but the medical benefits don't include everything. When I searched all the options, it appeared that this was the better of all. I may not be looking at all things correctly, so I will attempt to have someone else view them as well. Thanks

Thankfully my husband's insurance covers all IF treatment and medications including IVF, IUI and other treatments with unlimited lifetime payout. Otherwise there is no way we could ever afford to have this done.

I am currently in Brno, in the Czech Republic undergoing IVF. I had 2 unsuccessful treatments in Dallas, Texas where I live at $50,000 out of pocket (refinanced the house). This trip - treatment, medication, accommodation, airfare turns out to be around $7000 in total. There are many couples from the US and UK here undergoing treatments. There are options outside of the US that give you the opportunity to have a family that are more affordable.

can you explain what 2 d insurance is and how to obtain it? Many thanks!

If anyone knows of a second insurance you can purchase I'd love to hear about it. I tried about 4 years ago to get some but because I was diagnosed with fertility problems I was denied coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

It seems so unfair that only some states and some insurance policies cover it. It is like state gov/insuanrce companies are deciding who can have a family and who can't!

More like I cannot afford IVF we have been years waiting trying to save the money for self pay and my husband finally got a job with insurance that covers IVF and can you believe he want to quit the D*** job with is some real BS but I guess we will be stuck paying to cobra because I will never let this insurance go at lease until we reach our sucky lifetime cap on fertility treatments I am just real picky on what I let my doctor bill to the insurance if its something like blood work I use my other insurance that does not cover IVF or infertility but we should be starting in May. So we will see how things work out for us. Only bad thing is we have so much due that month my tuition, book, of course we owe the IRS and our lease is up so we need to move.

The Dr. I go to has IVF grants, which is based on income, like a sliding scale. We had to submit our tax info from last year, and then they told us how much we would have to pay. We got a discount, the lower your income the less you pay.

Also, the first 2 times i did IVF, I went through a grant sponsored by the state of NY, where I live. It pretty much worked the same way, but it was cheaper than the grant through the Dr.

Thank you. I will see if there is a grant for the area I stay.

There are 13 states in the country that cover IVF. I switched jobs to one in NJ since I live on the border of the state. What is interresting is that you can live in a state that does not mandate fertility insurance, but the health insurance company's main office is in a state that does cover it. For example, I live in PA (a non mandated state) but there are many jobs in PA that have corporate offices in mandated states such as NJ. SO you would have to check with the insurance company itself, not just the state.

Now I am going to the Cooper Institure for IVF in NJ. They have a donor egg program. If your eggs qualify as good to donate (esecially good for unexplained infertility or male-factor infertility) somebody who is looking for a donor egg pays your cycle and you give them half of your eggs. It goes : one for you one for me, so its luck which ones you will get. The will make sure that each group has an even number of good eggs though. An option if you are ok with donating some eggs. Other offices may offer such services.

Otherwise, good old fashioned saving for years and years, or taking out low intererst loans are how most people do it.

Best of Luck,
Janet

Thank you. There is so much information present that I had not found or even thought about, although I search the net alot. Thank you

Fortunately, my husbands insurance covers four IVF's and unlimited fertility meds. That is the only way we could afford to do this. You can ask your clinic if they have any grants available. Sometimes they will offer this to woman without fertility coverage. Also, I heard of some clinics have donated medications that are given to uninsured patients as well.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders