chemical pregnancy, low progesterone

The nurse called with my bloodwork results today: hcg = pregnant, low progesterone = chemical pregnancy. Since I haven't had a chance to talk to my RE yet, I'm not sure what to think about it all. Is a chemical pregnancy at least a good sign that the treatment protocol I'm on is working??? Does a low progesterone level 15dpIUI mean that I will have to take progesterone supplements in the future??? I would very much appreciate input from others who have had similar experiences!

13 replies. Join the discussion

Hi...I've never been through this, but I wanted to say that I was sorry to read this. *hugs* to you today!

Sorry

Never heard that before. I always thought if your progesterone was low that they could give you PIO shots or crinone or something to help. Did they offer anything? If not, maybe you can ask. My RE's office said they would do anything they could to help me stay pregnant once I actually got there. It's worth a shot.

Kate

From your definition 3 of my 4 PG's were chemical, I had never had it described that way before. You should definately ask about progesterone. It does sounds like the protocal is working. I'm so sorry for your loss and what you are going through. They should test you again to see if the numbers are doubling though. It still could be viable.

I'm sorry this cycle didn't work for you. I think a C/P is generally perceived as more encouraging than a straight BFN, especially if this is your first cycle.

As far as the bloodwork results, they want to see HcG around 100. My clinic counts anything above a 5 as a technical "pregnancy". My last CP was a 17, and they told me to be cautiously optimistic, but based on research I had done, I knew that was a long shot. It turned out not to work.

I don't remember what the progesterone levels are supposed to be, but there are ways to supplement it. I have always taken progesterone-in-oil (PIO) shots after ET. Some people take it in suppositories.

Definitely ask your doctor to explain it to you. I find that its better to meet with them in person after a cycle rather than just having a phone call.

Sorry again that it didn't work, and I wish you a ton of luck for the future.

Marie

So sorry. Did they give you numbers? My clinic if the HCG is 50 or more and your Progesterone is low they will increase your progesterone intake with PIO and then retest in 2 days.

Sending you a big hug
Krissy

i'm so sorry. i don't have any info...but i send tons of hugs.

take care.
jenn

Thank you all so much for your support!! My period came yesterday, so this cycle officially ended in a chemical pregnancy. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me what my beta number was, but they said my progesterone level was too low to support the pregnancy. They suggested progesterone supplements for future cycles, but did not seem to believe it would save this pregnancy. I've only talked to the nurses so far, and I have so many questions for my RE, but I won't see her until next week.

Well, an chemical pg is usually an indication of another problem. And it can be a good thing -- before you slap me, I had about 7 chem pgs -- at least. I kept telling my OBs and they never believed me. I had them in my mid-20s and throughout my 30s. I had very low progesterone levels.

After 2 IUIs resulting in chem pgs, an RE finally sent me for recurrent pg loss testing (immunology testing). They found I had MTHFR homozygous (a potential clotting factor), 2 other borderline clotting issues and elevated Natural Killer Cell Activity.

Long story short, I was anti-coagulated for my 2nd IVF and with a micro-dose Lupron protocol, I conceived and had a baby girl.

I am very very sorry for your loss. I know it too well. But this is just an indication of something that can be fixed. You got pregnant, that is the first hurdle. Now ask your RE how you can stay pregnant. Demand testing.

I hope this is the last of the chem pg for you. Do not give up hope. Best to you,
Kim

Hi Kimi. Thanks for your support and the information. I have to admit that your post has scared me a bit. I hadn't even thought of this being a sign of recurrent miscarriage. I just thought chemical pregnancies were common. Is one chemical pregnancy enough evidence to move forward with immunology testing? I'm not sure how I should proceed.

Anna,
Per your response to Kimi above: generally they do not reccomend doing the "abortion panel" (yes, it is really called that) until you have had 3 early m/c (including a CP). I also had 3 early losses before doing the blood panel, and like Kimi, was shocked to find out I had homozygous MTHFR. It made me wonder, WHY do they make you wait for 3 losses?! I am currently undergoing treatment and am 8 weeks pregnant. You are right when you say a CP is pretty common, and it may not mean anything else. But, go ahead and ask your RE to order the blood work. . .it is expensive, but worth not going through subsequent and repeated loss. Best of luck to you,
--Hat

I recently got diagnosed with homozygous MTHRF after 3 miscarriages. I am currently on Folgard. But, my RE did not put me on Levonox. I am getting a second opinion on Tuesday. What was everyone else's treatment for homozygous MTHRF?

Very sorry for your loss. I am surprised that your clinic doesn't do progesterone supplementation as a standard on cycles. I do hope that it makes the difference for you and that this is the last failed cycle you have to deal with!

-Toni

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders