Bromelain

I didn't use this last time, but I know a lot of you do. Where do you get it, and how much should I take and when?

A

7 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Amy,

I definitely ate pineapple everyday starting with the day before ET because I saw lots of articles about bromelain (supposed to be like baby aspirin and heparin- promotes blood flow). I was hesitant to take it in pill form as some articles said too much can lead to spontaneous abortion- I'll have to post that link when I find it again. I figured getting in natural ways (albeit through consumption of pineapples that has to be unnaturally high unless you live in Hawaii) was as safe bet as it was likely not present in dangerous levels.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has spoken to their RE about this. I know herbalists swear by it, but is pill form safe?

-Toni

Bromelain is an enzyme found (mostly) in the core of pineapples. I took mine in pill form (got it from Whole Foods/health food stores)...just one in the morning. The timing is kind of important to its function. If you take it on an empty stomach, it has anti-inflammatory properties (kind of like aspirin but without the side effects of aspirin like bleeding & whatnot) & so, supposedly, helps with implantation (or for someone who has clotting disorders). If, however, you take it on a full stomach or with food, it helps break down proteins.

So, I took 1 tab in the morning on an empty stomach (I didn't follow the directions on the bottle...partly because I wanted some of the benefit but didn't want to overdo it). I've taken it in the luteal phase of natural cycles but during the IVF, I took it the whole time. (I should say I also took a baby aspirin, prenatal vitamins, folic acid & B-complex; the baby aspirin I stopped a few days before ER).

Good luck!
Lisa J in MD

I ate pineapple throughout the day starting ET for 6 days. I. Also heard something about walnuts. And ate those daily as well. I don't know if that or the accuputncture 2 x week did it jut it made me feel like I was having more control. Good luck!
Ann

I ate pineapple throughout the day starting ET for 6 days. I. Also heard something about walnuts. And ate those daily as well. I don't know if that or the accuputncture 2 x week did it jut it made me feel like I was having more control. Good luck!
Ann

Ann

Thanks for the information, girls. Lisa J, you are always so knowledgeable! I have been taking the extra B and Folic Acid, just like you said... :)

Marie

A follow up on this topic. From INCIID, an herbalist said this:

Anca Sira, LAcAncaSiraLAc : I know that bromelain has been used by women thinking it helps with implantation as it is an anti inflammatory. It wouldn't hurt but in my opinion, there are no real foods that help with implantation.
However, you might try to get on some supplements to help support your endocrine system Like wheatgrass juice, Vitamin B6, Indole 3 carbinol, Selenium, Omega 3 with DHA, and flaxseed oil to start.

From IVF Plus 40 (http://www.ivfplus40.com/2008/09/pineapple-and-grape-juice.html)

Pineapple Juice Usage: There is an old wives' tale floating around that pineapple juice will help a fertilized egg implant. However, pineapple juice is not recommended for use in TTC and/or pregnancy. In large doses, it can cause uterine contractions and bring on spontaneous abortions (miscarriage).

Lastly: http://www.drugs.com/npp/pineapple.html
Pregnancy/Lactation
Avoid use because research reveals little or no information on the use of moderate quantities of pineapple in pregnancy or lactation. Historically, pineapple has been used as an emmenagogue and abortifacient, and large quantities of pineapple juice have been reported to cause uterine contractions.

Again, with all that said. I ate/eat pineapple (including core) starting at ET until a few days before my beta. I've been takign selenium and omega-3 (fish oil) and started taking a b-complex a few weeks ago like Lisa J suggested.
-Toni

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders