Acupuncture

Hi Ladies,
I have been seeing a lot of posts about acupuncture. My doc has not even mentioned acupuncture, is this something that truly helps? We are so strapped for $$ right now, I cannot imagine spending more. . . but if it helps, please let me know and where to find someone that does this in the Twin Cities area.

Thank you!!

7 replies. Join the discussion

The research supporting acupuncture is pretty convincing. You might check and see if there is a Community Acupuncture clinic in your area (they are pretty common here in CA). You receive acupuncture treatment in a group setting (it sounds odd, but I actually found it quite pleasant), and the prices tend to be a lot cheaper. My clinic, for example, has a "pay what you can afford" policy. (They suggest $15 - $35 per visit but allow the patient to decide the exact rate.) I personally don't know of options in the Twin Cities, but I would suggest giving it a try if you can afford it.

Nikegirl - Is it a specific type of acupuncture that I should look for?

Thanks for the info :)

No specific type, but ideally you want someone who specializes in infertility. I lucked out in that one of the acupuncturists at my Community Clinic had done her training in fertility clinics, so it worked out perfectly for me. (And although I was skeptical at first, I found that I really enjoy acupuncture in general. It's relaxing and helps me better deal with all of the stress.)

If you have insurance you may want to see if accupuncture is covered. I just mention that as I found out it is covered for me and I was surprised.

I am a big fan, just had a session today. It's a great way to get your uterus in Great shape. I actually go to a clinic that is just infertility and pregnancy acupuncture.

Enjoy it!

Fertility training is key

Called insurance today - no coverage :(

ANY resources you can provide on fertility training or acupuncture statistics?

I feel lost as to where to look. We are going to start IVF in August or September.

Thanks!!

Hello,

I have been doing weekly acupuncture with a Traditional Chinese Medical doctor for over a year. He doesn't specialize in infertility per say (as I see western medicine acupuncturists advertise) but rather he does "body balance" for me - which includes increasing bloodflow to my uterus.

I had a very bad experience early on with a western medicine acupunturist here in FL that "specialized in fertility" who inappropriately diagnosed me as "infertile" after simply looking at my tongue and pulse. I was appauled and demanded a refund (which I got after she bawled and thanked me for the "wake up call"). I then went to a Traditional Chinese Medical doctor and started having a wonderful experience. So I think if you find the right person or clinic, you will benefit all around.

My insurance doesn't cover it and I pay $60 per session. (The western medicine acupuncturist charged $90 per session - go figure). However, it is a qualified expense on my Flexible Spending Account (pre-tax medical expenses) so that helps a little.

I haven't tried to have an embryo transfer yet, but I have found it incredibly beneficial in terms of stress reduction, overall relaxtion, my ability to sleep, etc etc etc.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support RESOLVE

Help RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  RESOLVE: The National Infertility Association

Discussion topics

More From RESOLVE

Advocacy Day 2014

Center for Infertility Justice Blog

RESOLVE's newsletter

Unplug yourself. A quarterly newsletter written just for you sent directly to your home. Subscribe today.

Infertility Information

RESOLVE's Resources

Community leaders