Agent Orange

Just wondered if there are any Vietnam Veterans on this site?

13 replies. Join the discussion

I am not a Viet Nam vet. But my brother is. After months or years of nagging he finally had a colonoscopy done. He said that he had polyps which wre removed during the procedure, and that after testing--they were noncanerous. In terms of agent orange, he believes he was exposed to it--but wasn't almost anyone who spent anytime in Viet Nam. He says that he has some problems consistent with exposure such as cardiac (but so did my father and also our brother) and aslo diabetes type II (but so do my other brother, myself and our maternal grandmother).

So probably not what you were looking for, huh?
I wouldn't be surprised if you do find some vets with this. But there are also a whole lot of others who also have this. It is a very common illness, unfortunately. BTW, it may be a good idea to have all siblings scoped after a new diagnosis is made, especially if that person's cancer was typed as "family-related" or whatever they call it.

Best of luck in the future,
linda

Does NOT matter if the entire family has the same thing..diabetes, etc; your brother would still be service related. He needs to file for compensation for any of the above especially the diabetes type II. as it is now presumptive. He can do this on-line at www.va.gov. Have him file for the diabetes type II and the digestive polyps. His accrued benefit date would start the day he files so when he is approved he will be paid back to day of filing. Needs to do this a.s.a.p. then have him go get a Veteran Service Rep. free of charge at any American Legion, Veterans of Foreigh Wars, and the like to help him submit evidence to the VA.

As for the polyps, a new bill H.R. 6798 has just been sponsored by Congressman Steve Kagen (WI) to include digestive tracts disorders and cancers as related to agent orange.

E-mail, (and ask everyone that you know to do so,too) your congressmen and senators and ask them to PLEASE co-sponsor bill H.R. 6798 for our vietnam veterans.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I've been through this and have lost my husband because of agent orange.

Susan

Susan,
So sorry for your loss. One so seldom hears of Agent Orange anymore. Or to think of, it had been a long time since I had heard about until my brother brought it up--decades.
He has been talking with another VietNam vet out in Arizona where he lives who has been helping him along in getting compensation for his polyps and the diabetes also. I will let him know about the HR bill, as well as passing the news along to others that I know.

It is great that you are so active and looking out for others. But are you also taking care of yourself.?Having had a husband in Viet Nam, you may well be 50+ -- so, have you had a colonoscopy yourself? (I never had children myself, and sometimes I find myself trying to take care of (near)strangers. So, please excuse my intrusivenes.)

I just don't want you to neglect yourself, while caring for the rest of the world. Okay?

Bye now & thanks,
Linda

Hi,
I'm new to this site. My dad was a Vietnam Vet., and I lost him July 22, 2007 to colon cancer. He was only 59 years old. They found it December 14, 2005, and he had surgery December 29, 2006 for re-section. He started chemotherapy in January 2006.
Midway through chemotherapy, he started having terrible, crushing headaches. I told him that he needed to tell his Dr. asap. My dad was not one to take anything, aspirin included, unless absolutely necessary. So, when his Dr. asked if he had taken anything for it, and my dad said that he hadn't, the Dr.'s reply was, and I quote, "Well, we don't give medals for not taking aspirin." (My dad was a Purple Heart recipient, along with other medals!) So, two weeks after that incident, as I am sitting in chemotherapy with my dad, he gets sick, vomits, then goes into a coma right in front of my mom and me.
Long story short, he was life-flighted to a hospital in Atlanta, Ga., with a bleed on his brain, where he stayed for a month due to the bilateral subdural hematomas caused by chemo. (Major traumatic experience for me!)
Anyway, they were afraid to do any more chemo at the time, so they wanted to check his bloodwork every three months, and do a PET scan in six months. Bloodwork in June was fine, in September his liver enzymes were "slightly" elevated, to which the nurse assured me was completely normal and nothing to worry about. His PET scan on December 4, 2006 showed... take a wild guess!? It had spread to his liver and there was nothing they could do. They gave him two years and he made it seven months. I was there with him when he went into a coma on Friday night, July 19, and stayed with him until he passed away Sunday July 22, 2007.
(By the way, my mother who is now 54 years has Alzheimer's, and was unable to take care of him. She just stood there staring.)
My dad also had diabetes and a few other things that enabled him to receive at least 70% disability, but I will go to my grave believing that his cancer was related to Agent Orange, I don't care what any one else has to say about it.
Too many of our Vietnam Vets are dying at this age, or close to it. As I walk through the Ga. Memorial Veterans Cemetery, I am shocked every time at how many are dying at such a young age. It just doesn't amke sense.
I am so sorry for the loss of your husband. Please let me know if you come across any new info. related to this.

My husband, also a Vietnam Vet, is battling a second round of Colon Cancer. He is terminally ill. I have no doubt that his cancer is Agent Orange related as he has no cancer in his family, nor has he ever smoked, he has always maintained a good weight. "likely as not" his cancer is from the exposure to Agent Orange. This is the term VA looks for and my husband's oncologist has said those exact words.

We have been denied compensation from VA and starting the appeal process. I have established a special email account specifically to hear from others who have Colon Cancer and are Vietnam Vets (or if you know of someone with this condition or who has passed away from colon cancer and was a Vietnam Vet). My email address is LaurieA1225@yahoo.com and I would like to hear from any of you, personally. I plan to pursue this claim even though it may be too late for my husband....I know that there are many, many vets (or suvivors) who deserve this compensation from VA.

Good luck to all of you!! God Bless you and thank you for serving your country!!!

Laurie

I am sorry that your husband is suffering from a 2nd round of colon cancer.

I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer and had the prostrate removed in 1994; then in 2004 was diagnosed with colorectal cancer and 8" of my colon was removed.
I was so fortunate the cancer had not spread yet.

I am a Vietnam veteran and was exposed to Agent Orange..we walked and fought in places where it had
been sprayed and even saw the airplanes spraying
not far from where we were.

The VA granted compensation for the prostrate cancer, but denied the colorectal cancer, which even
my dr. thought was related to being in Vietnam and exposed to Agent Orange. The close proximately
to the rectum would certainly indicate that as well.

I feel very blessed both cancers wee caught "in time", but feel the VA should compensate veterans who suffer from colorectal cancer or their survivors.

I am not a Vietnam Vet, but my husband is. He was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, ( with no familial hx) & is scheduled for a colonoscopy this Wed. I am greatly concerned due to the symptoms he has been experiencing. I pray for good news, however. I am wanting ideas on how to actively participate in avocating for Vietnam Vets & other Vets as well. I am going to apply for benefits for my husband, & I know about resistance. I am an RN, & will pursue on behalf of my husband, & my brother who also is a Vietnam Vet.

I am not a Vietnam Vet, but I have been researching Dioxin poisoning which is Agent Orange, & it's effects on Vets... Also what compensation is available for vets. I am a Registered Nurse who is determined to get educated, & then be able to inform others concerning this. My husband is a vet & fought in Vietnam;he has been diagnosed with diabetes. There isn't any diabetes in his family. My brother has been diagnosed with colon-rectal CA & there isn't any hx of that in our family, & he too, a Vietnam vet. The diabetes has been recognized as a disease caused by Agent Orange, but the colon-rectal CA hasn't been fully compensated for, in this regard. Our VA administration isn't the greatest, let me tell you. Good people work in this gov agency, but others have been horrible to deal with. I have learned to not give up. If I run into a rude person I just ask to speak with someone else. I will continue to pursue monies for compensation, for husbands health care. It is only right he get compensated.

Thank you so much for the info. I will keep pursuing.....

I am a Vietnam vet and last year I was treated with Colorectal cancer and there is no history in my family. I only hope my two children are spared.

I was in Vietnam in 1966 at Bienhoa. I had surgery for colon cancer 5 years ago and so far doing ok. I have wondered if it could possibly be associated with agent orange but apparently the VA doesn't think so. No history of colon cancer in my family until I got it.

I am a viet nam vet, I too had colon cancer, 12" of colon was removed june 25, 2007. So far cancer is still gone, it didn't break through the liner and I had a 5 bypass on March 10 2008 and was told I have conjestive heart failure, 40% use of my heart. Yes I was exposed to agent orange. !966-67 Long bien. I have a claim on the heart and trying for colon cancer at the same time. The VA wants more info. if It was caused from my in service. Looking for more info on agent orange and colon cancer.

Jim

Yes. I served 1968-1969 in Phu Loi, due west of Ben Hoa.

I am 4.5 years post diagnosis of colon cancer but still have a tinge of fright every once in awhile.

Currently trying to get the VA to approve a service connection for my ischemic heart disease which was added to the list of presumed diseases associated with agent orange exposure in October 2009.

It seems that as we Viet Nam vets get older andn begin to show a higher incidence of a disease they may finally give in and approve colon cancer.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Fight Colorectal Cancer

Help Fight Colorectal Cancer reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Fight Colorectal Cancer

Discussion topics

Help Fight Colorectal Cancer

One Million Strong - Take the Pledge

Donate to Fight Colorectal Cancer

Visit the Support for People Living with Advanced Colon Cancer Sharing Hub to see this video

Links and resources

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information and services provided by Fight Colorectal Cancer are for general informational purposes only. The information and services are not intended to be substitutes for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. Fight Colorectal Cancer never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.