WEATHER AFFECT OUR BODIES

ISN'T IT SO AMAZING HOW THE WEATHER AFFECTS OUR BODIES. YOU LIKE THE OLD SAYING "MY BONES HURT SO THERE MUST BE RAIN COMING". I USE TO LAUGH WHEN MY GRANDPARENTS WOULD SAY THAT WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. BUT MAN IS IT SO TRUE. IT IS COOL AND RAINY AND MY BODY HURTS LIKE I HAVE BEEN BEATEN WITH A BASEBALL BAT ALL OVER. MY PAIN MEDICINE ISN'T EVEN EASING IT. IT REALLY SUCKS THAT THIS IS SOMETHING THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE REST OF OUR LIVES. IF ANYBODY HAS SOME IDEAS THAT WOULD HELP RELIEVE THE PAIN, I AM MORE THAN HAPPY TO LISTEN AND TRY IT OUT.

14 replies. Join the discussion

I literally feel your pain. I woke up feeling like several big rigs drove over me all night long.
My neck was stiff, my shoulders hurt my spine hurt , legs my gosh!!!! I felt like I have a severe flu
I was so amazed!!! at how horrible!! I feel I'm really in shock !!! I was diagnosed in 2008 with Fibro & PSA
However , I have been pretty much in denial until the past few months. So, this pain is totally new for
Me I spent the whole day with heating pads , pain pills & muscle relaxers and I still feel horrible !!!!
I can say My pain threshold is extremely high I worked for 3 days with multiple fracture in my hand
So, this is absolutely strange that even pain pills ,muscle relaxers don't even touch this!!!! Sorry for the rambling
I'm clearly in shock and this is the first real cold day we have had. I'm pretty freaked out about the upcoming
Weather. I know I'm not alone here but Geeeeeesh!!!

The weather here keeps bouncing back and forth from freezing to warm, talk about freaking out my Fybromyalgia. My body does not know how it wants to react. I wake up hurting every morning and I have to get up earlier and earlier to walk it off so I am ready to go to work. After work I am totally exhauted which causes me to be completely stressed out, my superviser wants me to take some stress seminares classes so I can learn to control my stress.

Has anyone been to a stress seminare that can help you with your stress when you are dealing with this extreme pain on a daily basis?

I try as hard as I can not to be stressed out when I am at work, but I guess it is still showing up. It is hard to be happy and friendly when you hurt all of the time.

The weather affects me greatly also. I find that when I'm cold I tend to tense up my muscles. When walking the dog, I scrunch my shoulders up, an automatic response to a cold neck. I also have severe menopause problems. Since cancer and chemo ten years ago,I have severe and frequent hot flashes, then chills. I am often walking around in damp clothes. OK in summer, not now. I check the barometor often, we are in tune with each other. As the barometer goes down the pressure on the earth is less. With less pressure on our bodies the fluids expand and our joints do too. OUCH. Then add cold to it and wham O. I also feel all achy and flu-ish now. When the clocks go forward I know I am now in for a few to many painful months. I hate a hot house, so for me turning up the heat does not help. It just adds to my hot flashes. I turn the thermostat down and when my husband comes home from work he's like 'damn it cold in here, what's up'. I would rather sit on a nice warm heating pad or use a small electric throw blanket. At least the air isn't so dry and I can breath. Gotta get the youngest daughter to relocate to Florida, our other daughter and her family, my only grandson live there and I want to move so much. But I feel I can't leave my little one. We are so close. I think I would feel physically better in a warm climate. I do when I visit. Well, some day.............................Val

Yes, I sure can relate. Especially this morning. The weather just causes so much pain when it gets cold. I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday day was rough day and then this morning was horrid pain.
I am going to have to take a bath this morning before I go to work. I have taken my pain meds and it seems to help alot. But without them, I don't see a way to function.
I would suggest you try a hot epsom salt bath. That seems to help me for a while.
Hope you get to feeling better. It is a shame for people to have to live with this kind of pain. It really douses our qualityof life. I have read that fibromyalgia patients have a high suicide rate. I would not do that but I sure understand why.
hugs,
Debra

I can releate. I have a heating pad in my car for cold car rides...

This year I have noticed the season change has flared up my fibromyalgia. My muscles tense up on their own, then by the time I realized it's happened I am sore and in pain and it is harder to stretch. Stretching really really helps. I also have plantar faciatis in my right foot which decided to flare at the same time, it seems my brain go to the stronger pain first, then secondary pain fades a bit but is still there. Now if my TMJ flares at the same time, I may as well go back to bed. Ice works better for me than heat, unless I know for sure it's my arthitis that hurts. Sometimes there are so many types of pain I don't know what to do. I go to the chiropractor every couple of weeks which helps a lot. And of course the muscle relaxers, anti inflamitory, and narcotic pain med helps too. I'm supposed to keep a baseline of pain meds in me so I don't get the peak of pain, keep ahead of it, but I worry about consequense of so much medication every day. I've had fibro for about 15 years, it's better now because I understand what it is, and I know what to do when it flares. Let's just say my social life is on hold, my career is gone, thank heavens for social security diasability, and I must say the pain is better since I got divorced 7 years ago, and I've lost 45 pounds! So life is a mixed bag everyday. Playing with grandbabies helps a lot....lol And having good friends.

I don't know if all of you are from a northern state but I find that my Fibro is better in the cold. I live in Florida and the hot weather is worse for me and once we get some "colder" weather, I start to feel better. I first noticed it on a trip to Chicago, where it was in the 50's and I felt good all weekend, came home to 80's and started feeling bad. Now, if there is a weather change, rainy weather, then I will feel bad too, like a truck ran over me. I think it might have to do with the climate you live in when you get diagnosed. Just a thought! Hope everyone is better today!

I agree with you 100%. Weather really aggravates my Fibro. I can tell a couple of days before it's going to rain. Once the rain gets here typically I'm miserable and cuddled with my heating pad and blankets for several days. If the rain moves in at night it literally wakes me up with pain. I am in Ohio. It's already cool. We've been having freezes over night and 50's during the day. As I write this it's 10am and it's 36 outside. It won't be long before I become what my daughter calls the "winter hermit". Winter cold makes me miserable. For several years I didn't know what was wrong with me. Last year I think from November to April I was out of the house less than 10 times. I was diagnosed in June of this year. When I explained to the Rheum how I won't leave the house in the winter, she agreed that it was Fibro pain and that I did the right thing by staying in. When you know what is going to happen you just don't want to go out. I keep a heavy blanket on the seat of the van. Year round the minute I get in the seat my legs get covered up. My legs is where my pain usually starts if they get cold and it goes from there.

I do know though, that when I am hurting so bad I am nauseated, I get on the treadmill and take a nice slow walk. I don't know if the walking helps or if it's just distracting enough to get my mind off the pain. Sometimes I will listen to an audiobook. That works well. I also have a jetted tub that keeps the water heated. That works wonders but I've learned that once I get the pain down from the hot water, when I get out I have to immediately get to the heating pad and let my legs gradually cool down. Otherwise I'm in just as much pain or more if I cool down too fast.

Good luck to you with this fall weather moving in.

i live in spain the days are warm most of the year but evening its cold in the winter months december to early feb it not the heat or the cold that gives me pain its the different changes like may its gets lovely but it might rain [so pain]summer is hot but if it gets humid [pain]so i think its the damp not the cold,i went to england this summer and it was warm but the damp in a holiday cottage gave me lots of fybro flare ups ,lubyloo

naltrexone 4 & 1/2mgs daily

a waterbed with a heater the pain relief is fantastic

I too know how you are feeling. Cool weather, make my legs and back hurt so bad.
I to have a heated seat for my car, it keep me warm till the heater can get the car
heated. and I still use it, with the heat on. I use a heat pad in my house. We also
keep our furnace up high then, most people. My husband says he wants me,
not to hurt.
I will keep you in my prayers,
I pray you have , less pain.
God Bless Laura

I agree with all of you, I can tell my husband that it is going to rain before they predict it on the weather report. It is the changing of the weather that hurts me the most, when a front is coming in. I live in Alabama and that means a front is always coming in. haha. Today we have a high of 70 degrees but it is going to rain tonight and tomorrow and bring in cold weather. It just cycles in like that,we will have a couple of warm days then rain then cold and then it warms again and it starts all over. So needless to say, I don't get a whole lot of relief. We have so much humidity that I can just feel it weighing down on my body or it seems like that anyway. I have had days in the last couple of weeks that taking pain meds and muscle relaxers did not even seem to touch it. Of course there is no telling how bad it would be without the meds.

I know what your saying as well. As soon as the weather started turning cold and damp. my shoulders have started bothering me. I apparently have bursitis as well as the Arthritis in my shoulders and topped off with a dose of Sjogren's Syndrome which affects the joints as well. I'm having a grand old time.. plus the Fibro is affecting my upper arm muscles adding insult to injury.. lets face it I just need a new body damn it lol.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders