Savella?

I just got a perscription for savella, and wanted to see if anyone has taken it? If so, do you like it? I am worried that the side effects might be really bad and is it expensive?
Thanks!

25 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I recently started taking savella about a month ago. The side effects are awful for me. It makes me very nauseous. I haven't seen that much of an improvement as far as my pain, but I am giving it a chance to get into my system.
My rheumotologists think it's a good medication to be on for my fibromyalgia, so I'll continue to take it.
As far as how expensive it is, with my insurance, I have to pay $40.00 for a month supply of 50mgs. Yours might be different.
* Ask your doctor for samples, they have them and I'm sure they won't mind sharing, mine did!!!!

I started taking savella 3 months ago for my fibro. I was VERY nauseous for 2 weeks but I stayed on it because it did reduce my pain a lot. I am getting samples from my DR. until my ins. co. decides they will pay for it. I am also taking Lyrica, I find that it helps with the prickly feeling in my legs and keeps my fingers and toes from locking up. I also take morphine,vallium,provigal,soma and omega-3. I have deg.discs both lumbar and cervical and a few other things other than Fibro. I will continue savella even at its high cost because I find it is worth it!! Just make sure you do not run out and have to start taking it again. I thought I had the flu for a few weeks--the nausea was awful!!!!!

I took savella for exactly 3 days. The nausea was so bad I had to go off of it pretty much immediately. We increased my lyrica from 175 to 200 mg a day instead.

That being said - if you can get past the nausea it is supposed to be a good medicine for Fibro and is the ONLY medication that the FDA has approved for Fibro alone. I would take it, try it - see if it works for you and go from there.

Good luck!

I have been taking Savella 50 mg twice a day now for about 6 weeks. I did not experience the extreme nausea others talked about. It is great for me. I feel great and I am in no pain at all since being on the savella. To me it is like a wonder drug, I feel amazing!
My doctor also discovered that my Vitamin D levels were very low. I am also on Vitamin D pills, but I feel wonderful. I have not felt this good in years.

I started on Friday the 30th of October, the sweating has been rough, anyone else have this side effect? Does it go away.

Hi. I was diagnosed with Fibro over 10 years ago, and I have probably tried every medication that is recommended for this condition. I am currently taking Savella for over a month and have not had any great results, the sweating is terrible, and I too had the nausea but they gave me something for it and now I do not experience nausea. However, I am disappointed that my symptoms have not improved a great deal. I would recommend that you give it a try, you will know after a few weeks if it is helping.

Good Luck, and God Bless.
GrammaSue

Thanks for the info. I'm on my first day of full strength and haven't noticed any relief yet. I will keep trying for at least a month maybe two, but if I don't see relief soon, it's back to Ibuprophen and Vicodin for me!

I tried the Savella, but had to stop. It made me so, so sick. I was constantly nauseous and then as I went up on the dose all I could do is vomit. I've got to admit it did help with my pain. My doctor now just wants me to pray or meditate my pain away. I'm looking for another doctor.

I started with the recommendation of my dr the 2-week Titration Pack of Savella which is a dosing increase over a 14 day period. I couldn't even get that far. After have taken the Savella for the first 12 days, I called my dr and went back in with symtoms of nausea, sweating, aching lower back, dizziness. I was then told to reduce back to the 12.5mg dose for 2 weeks and go back to the dr. I still feel bad, worse than when I was first diagnosed with fibro. I feel like I have the flu with no fever. I hurt so bad and am so nausea and sweat profusively. So far, the only thing I can say good about the Sevella at this point is that I am no longer constipated like I was when I was on Cymbalta.

I did have a lot of night sweating for a couple weeks. However, it got better and is not a problem now.

I've decided to fill 1/2 the prescription, so with the starter pack I'll be on it a month. The muscle and soft tissue pain is still there, but in some spots, it is reduced. The sweating is a killer, but with the nausea, I've lost 10 lbs... bonus. The nausea is getting better, but it is still there. Funny how this effects so many people differently! If there is no significant reduction in pain after the next 2 weeks, I'll have to reduce and stop. Of course, we'll see how much the copay is and that may make the determination for me!

Blessings,
Katy

My doc switch me from Effexor to Savella about 2 weeks ago, am on 50 mg twice a day. I have only noticed a touch of nausea when I have taken it on an empty stomach, but it does seem to be helping my pain ! I have had the severe sweating forever - I thought it was just from living in Florida !! The Co-pay was a killer - $40 for a months supply - I'm just happy I HAVE insurance.
I'm not convinced yet, but so far so good..............

Thanks, Kathy.

I'm on it for 3 weeks now and haven't noticed a great reduction in the soft tissue/muscle pain. I have found I can kneel longer than I had been able to. I am not convinced either.

I have had a resting heart rate of over 100 for 4 days now, doc isn't sure if it the meds or something else, so lots of tests, but if they are clear, I have to go off the Savella. We'll see. I don't remember that on the list of side effects.

I may take another 2 weeks worth, just to make sure.

OK, my final word on Savella...
I gave it a full 2 months to work. The nausea and hot flashes were INSANE! I weaned myself off of it - from 50mg 2x/day down to 25mg 2x/day for a week then 25mg 1x/day for a week then 25mg once every 2 days for 4 days then stopped. The reaction from coming off of it was 10 days of insomnia, ugh.

Now that I am off of it, I noticed that the pain was managed to a degree, but no soft tissue pain relief, mostly deep muscle and joint pain, but not enough to warrant the side effects.

I am taking Tramadol or Ultracet - a non-narcotic Vicodin and 800mg Ibuprophen 3x per day. The pain is more "spikey" and can sometimes be intense, but I'm not nauseous and ripping my clothes off in the grocery store or at church!

If a drug has more than 3 side effects and badly interacts with a multitude of drugs and over the counter meds - it isn't worth the money or the supposed benefits. So, enough from me. I hope all on Savella have a better time than I did since everyone is different and everyone's symptoms of Fibro are different - you may have better luck!

Blessings and Peace,

Katy

I've been on Savella since June and it's been a miracle drug for me. I have more energy and sleep better, and I have some days where I'm nearly pain free! The nausea was bad at first - when I first got to the full dosage I worked with my trash can right beside me just in case :)

But I persevered and it's been great. I was surprised to find I have myofascial trigger points I didn't know about - thought all my pain was fibro. I tried Lidocaine patches for those, and between that and the Savella I've been able to stop Tramadol completely. I also take Mobic and it wasn't doing all that much for fibro pain (although Vioxx was truly my wonder drug before they took it off the market), but I found when I tried to discontinue it that at the age of 60, I have some arthritic pain that the Mobic helps, so I still take it.

It takes about two months to get the full therapeutic benefit, so if you can hang in for that long you'll have a real idea of what it's going to do for you. I definitely understand why those who have the severe nausea can't continue - I was lucky and didn't have but a bit and only bad for a couple of days when I got to the full dose.

I'm post-menopausal so not sure whether the hot flashes are "left over" from menopause or from the Savella, but they haven't been that frequent and they only last a short time so I can live with that to get the pain relief.

I've been on Savella since August and I didn't have the nauseous side effects. I only had mild hot flushes occasionally and have not had those in the last few months. It has been a life saver for me. I still have periods where I am in severe pain, but most days are manageable and I am able to live normally. Without this drug I was in severe pain every day, leaving work at least one day per week and so exhausted I slept when I got off work and didn't see my family. I was taking hot showers up to four times per day to alleviate the pain which only subsided for a minimal amount of time. Savella has given me a life that I can live instead of just exist inside a body of misery. Hang in there through the side effects. My doctor says he has fifteen women on it and all have improved greatly after their bodies adjusted. I am the only one I am aware of that has not gotten sick from it. It took about six weeks for me to feel it working and continued to improve until I reached 12 weeks when it leveled out. All have said it was worth the perseverance.

The warning of side effects is increased heart rate and elevated blood pressure. I am experienceing that now. I am going to cariologist who is running many tests to determine if there are further problems. I have neve had high blood pressure, so this is very uncomforatble. Hopefully there will be no lasting side effects. I wish I had NEVER taken the drug. I'll just hurt. Hope you do well.

YES, I AM ON SAVELLA. IT WORKS WONDERS FOR ME I STILL HAVE PAIN , BUT I AM ABLE TO MOVE AROUND AND SOME TIMES I AM ABLE TO BEND. I HAVE TO TAKE OTHER MEDS DAILY ALONG WITH SAVELLA. SIDE EFFECTS HAVE BEEN VERY MILD, THE WORST BEING IT HAS INCREASED MY BLOOD PRESSURE. WHEN I THINK OF THE PAIN I WAS IN BEFORE STARTING THIS MEDICATION AND ALL THE THINGS I HAVE MISSED OUT ON I EXCEPT HYPERTENSION AT THIS TIME. INSURANCE DOES COVER SOME OF THE COST BUT IT IS EXPENSIVE FOR ME $60.00. THIS IS MY FIRST TIME WRITING I AM NEW TO THIS TYPE OF DIAGNOSIS AND STILL IN SHOCK. ASHLAND.

I thought I responded to this post, but it isn't here. I have been on Savella for 2 weeks. It seems to be great so far. My pain has been reduced and I feel better. No nausea at all. Hopefully the Lyrica 300 mg. and the Savella will nip this pain in the bud. I am so sick of being sick and in pain! I sort of hate to get my hopes up, but they are up! I feel better. I am not gonna argue with that! So I wish the best for you and me. If nausea is a problem, perhaps you could get something to stop this. I know I used to have suppositories when I had extreme migraines and nausea. It really worked. Getting rid of pain with one of the three drugs so far for fibro would seem to nessecitate some drug to help nausea. I forget the names of them now. As a new user of Savella, already feel better. Of Course, this could change. I hope not. But I know if I were nauseous, I would get something for it, rather than give up the Savella. The pain of fibro is too debilitating. I hate nausea, but maybe some of you that have it could get something for that. Yeah, so many drugs...but it beats the alternative.

I am on day 12 of the titration pack of Savella. On the last 2 doses of 50mg I got extremely sick. I wasn't able to work, was vomiting and was barely able to stand up. That was on a Wednesday, and now, almost a week later, I am back to feeling almost normal. I figure this was probably caused by a mix of Effexor withdrawl and the Savella. I do however, still have bouts of nausea. I called the doctor about this and his options were to go back to Effexor, which I refuse to do, or go back to a lower dose. I declined both, as I am actually having some positive side effects at 100mg. I have a bit more energy, I have noticed a lessening of stiffness at the end of the day, and even if I dare say...a slight, not much, but a slight improvement of pain. I told him I didn't want to give up the good stuff and I would find a way to deal with the nausea and hope it goes away. If it doesn't, I will deal. But today is the first day in a while I have not yet had to take a Percocet or Ultram and Norflex.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders