Prescription Strength Vitamin D

My vitamin D levels are low and the doctor wants to have me take 50,000 units of prescribed vitamin D for three months. I am a little nervous of possible side affects at that high dose, but from what I am reading on the web..some people claim it helps their fibromyalgia symptoms. Has anyone had any experince with this? Thanks Susan

18 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Trixie10, I have never heard of this. Did your doc. to special tests to see if you need this much D or is this something that just helps? Did your Doc. say that this is not dangerous or inform you of anything to watch out for? Keep us informed
Thank you, Deb

Dear Susan, I will ask my Neurologist too and do some investigating I am very interested. I've FM for 17-20 years I take Savella now it has been 1 mo. I am now taking 100 2xs a day. No relife yet. I also take Lyrica huge weight gain so I will be getting off Lyrica.
Just FYI , Deb

Hello, Trixie10,
My daughter who has fibro., takes 5000 iu Vitamin D3 every third day. This equates to 50,000 iu per month. It definitely helps her.

"Nutritional Supplements Which Help Switch off Inflammation
• Vitamin D
• Vitamin B12
• Essential fatty acids
• Anti-oxidant effect: vitamins A, C, E, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, glutathione" - exerpt take from following website: http://www.prohealth.com/fibromyalgia/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=15467&B 1=EM071410&slvor=10354.1010973.0.1.0.4200&eid
Vitamin D supplementation should include calcium and magnesium supplementation at the same time.

Hope and pray this helps.
Best Regards.

I had my Vitamin D level checked on some extensive bloodwork that a Chiropracter ordered and that also showed the Epstein Barr Virus as well. My vitamin D level was below normal and so my doctor wants to try the prescription dose. I have also been taking my Juice Plus Supplements and eating more protein than usual including red meat and I have to say I feel as though i am getting better with my symptoms. It is really scary how badly I felt even just a couple of weeks ago, but I feel as though "something is leaving me" and I wonder if this was all a bad virus. I have been taking Virgin Coconut Oil a couple of times a day and Sambucal ( elderberry extract ). The fibro symptoms come and go but less frequently and the exhaustion is less..I feel like I am waking up from a bad dream. I will keep everyone posted...Susan

Hi Trixie, I have been taking 50,000 i.u. of vitamin D for months. I always feel much better about 24 hours after my dose! I love the stuff! My vitamin levels were so low that I was breaking bones left and right! My doc said that I should probably take vitamin D forever, since my body doesn't seem to produce much on it's own and I wasn't absorbing it from the foods I ate. She said that this is a common problem in people with auto-immune diseases.
Your doctor is wise to start you on vitamin D if you show signs of defficiency. You will love how it helps with the aches and pains, too!

I should have said that I take one 50,000 i.u. gel capsule once a week.

Thank you so much for your info as I am scared to take that first Vit D capsule as 50,000 units seems like so much and I get side affects from anything I take. I am afraid I will get nauseous or something. I am just starting to feel better so I am afraid to add anything. But..my levels are low and my bones are thinning and I am not going to take any of the bone building medicines so I will give it a try. If it raises my levels I will be happy. You and other people on the web seem to feel it is helping them. Susan

I am a nurse. I have seen it prescribed like that to a few patients. As far as I have seen, it has been ok. It would not be prescribed like that unless your D levels are extremely low. But it seems he would want to maybe run some blood work to check the levels more often than every 3 months. I don't know, that is just my thought.
It is so common for those of us with fibro to have extremely low vit D levels. I don't know why, but it is.
I have had a theory for a while about this. I noticed that when I got sick with fibro, my teeth started getting very bad. They just got to where they break off easily and I get more cavities. I wonder if that is not due to a calcium absorption problem due to vit D levels because calcium needs D in order to absorb correctly.
Just my thoughts.
hugs,
Debra

I am wondering if the low vitamin D levels are due to the fact that a lot of us do not get a lot of time outside and some people work indoors and with all the hype about avoiding the sun, we have caused this problem. I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle but even with that, it could be better when I look back on the last six months since my symptoms started. Susan

Well, that could be. It probably has something to do with it for some people. But I believe also there is some other pysical reason also which is related to this disease that causes our levels to go so low. This illness is so complicated. They have only begun to reach the tip of the iceberg with this disease. They finally started taking people seriously after many many years.

My situation started with a virus and I showed the Epstein Barr Virus in all markers of a recent blood test and also a recent acute infection. The Fibromyalgia symptoms came out after the viral symptoms left. I have been using supplements and really taking amazing care of myself and the symptoms seem to be diminishing and I wonder if this virus which lies dormant in most people is responsible. When people get stressed or run down..it becomes active. I think we should all find out about Epstein Barr in our blood as it is not a standard test. Susan

Susan, they are now doing research on a virus called the "XMRV" virus. They now believe that it may be a cuase for fibromyalgia/Chronic fatigue syndrome. I have also heard of others having the Epstein Barr virus.
But I believe this is an interesting breakthrough and I don't think it will take long now to find out the truths of the causes.
Debra

I had to take prescription level Vitamin D for a while - about what you have prescribed. No side effects except feeling a bit better. I think it may have helped kickstart a healing process - a really SLOW healing process.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your vitamin D experience..I am going to start it this week..I was just nervous of some horrible side affect. 50, 000 units sounds like so much at first. I have been feeling better in time without it, so I am scared to take anything that might affect the way I feel. Susan

Susan - just keep your doctor in the loop. If you start feeling poorly, tell him/her.

Best of luck!

My Dr said that we cannot eat enough to get the Vit. D we need. Soil is depleted & out food doesn't have the same nutrients it did years ago. I was given D in Seattle where the sun seldom shines but the Dr where I live now in sunny CA said stay on it.

How much did you take? My doctor gave me 50,000 units a week for 12 weeks. I feel like I will radiate sunshine out of my body with that amount. I hate taking anything new as I am so sensitive ot any possible side affects. Susan

I only take 2,000 mg a day but I've been doing that for 5 or 6 years now & when I have blood work done it never shows that I have too much.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders