Leg Pain

I have so much leg pain sometimes it keeps me up at night, there are times I can barely walk but once I get going it is better. If I exercise, I suffer for days and often have to alternate ice on my hips, legs, back neck. I take lyrica at night and mobic and cymbalta once a day. I have pain medication to use as needed and even when I take that the leg pain is unbearable. I cannot lay on either side because my hip pain is unbearable too. I have arthritis in both legs and feet. Is arthritis that painful that you can't even lay on your side?

7 replies. Join the discussion

Dear Patti, I too experience horrific leg and hip pain, especially in the middle of the night..... it's weird, at times it is so bad it seems as if my bone marrow actually hurts, the pain feels so deep. And yes my hips are the same way it is excruciating to lie on them. Like you, after I lay in bed sobbing every morning, I am able to finally drag myself out of bed after being awake for about an hour, and once I start to move, the stiffness lessens through the morning after I have taken my meds. I had tried all the standard medications for Fibro, but only got the bad side effects, no relief, so the only thing that will take the edge off for me is Vicodin, which I only take if I feel like I am going to die. Unfortunately, the pain makes my B/P skyrocket, so even though I am on B/P medication, if my pain is bad enough, I have fainted, and several times, twice this week as a matter of fact, had to be taken to the ER by ambulance, as my B/P gets dangerously high, as does my pulse, just from the level of pain I get. Its called intractractable pain, when it gets so bad it effects your heart and blood pressure. My Doctor has said the pain medication is the only way to keep my B/P from being dangerously high.... I was in the hospital from Malignant Hypertension in the Cardiac Unit 2 months ago. This disease does not kill you, but the effects of the disease can when it is bad enough to effect your heart from the intensity of pain. I have other Autoimmune diseases too, which only complicates it all, Graves Disease, Lupus, Sojgrens, and Cervical Spinal Disease. I am 49 going on 99 it seems sometimes! I am so sorry about your leg and hip pain, I know how awful it is.... there is no way to get comfortable when it is at it's worst! My hips really hurt when I try to walk for more than a block or two as well, it's terrible! Do the palms of your hands and soles of your feet ever hurt? Sometimes mine feel as though They have literally been beaten with a baseball bat, I can barely stand to put the weight of my body on my feet to walk or stand, and my hands, oh my gosh, it is such intense pain, even my nailbeds feel as though they have been smashed with a hammer. I hope with all of my heart the Doctors you work with will find a way to give you more relief, like I said, as much as I fear and hate medication, I know I cannot find relief for myself on those very worst days without the Vicodin..... and when I don't take it, I end up in an ambulance nearing a heart attack from the intensity of my pain. I pray it never becomes like that for you sweetie! Wishing you a low pain night, and gentle gentle hugs, Wendy.

Thank you so much for answering my post. My legs were so bad today I could barely walk up the stairs. It comes and goes and I have gotten to the breaking point with the pain. My b/p is fine, never had a problem, but my low back problem and SI joint pain also has something to do with it. I hope you are feeling better too. Thanks again.

I totally understand the leg pain. I can only sleep on my back. In the morning, I take a cymbalta and pain med (yes - with my morning coffee). This seems to take the edge off, and I can get myself to work.
There are times when the pain is unbearable no matter what you take or do. The pressure points when laying on your side on the hips, legs and even ankles makes it impossible to sleep anyplace but on your back. I recently started using pain patches (Flextor), and those added to everything else help some. I hope you feel better and have a good day. People don't realize that when you have fibro - it hurts to be awake and it hurts when you try to sleep. A good sense of humor and an occasional breakdown keep you sane.

If I exercise it is so much worse. I am in bed for days. Ice everywhere. I appreciate your response. It is comforting that other people know what I am talking about and I am not alone. I hope you have more good days than bad days.

Has anyone tried "memory foam?" I use to wake up and not able to move because of the pain in my hips, knees and shoulders. I purchased a 3 inch memory foam from QVC and I have gotten some relief. Just a though...maybe worth a try. I've had mine now for maybe 5 years and it is starting to feel like I might be ready for a new one!!

For all of you dealing with the pain of Fibro, I suggest googling CYMBALTA, reading about its use for Fibromyalgia (adds Serotonin to the brain) and talk to your doctors about increasing the dosage.

To help deal with hip and leg pain I use gentle yoga stretches. This does not replace any medications.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders