is it just me?

Ok I gotta ask.... does everyone feel like you have the flu 24/7 ? weak, frail, dizzy,muscles ache and joints stiff.... fever like flares migraines.... ect... is it every single day...totally sick for days and a good day is not that good... or is it just me???.. when I am at my worst, migrained out I wonder if I really want to go on and why... at my best I struggle with the guilt of being so much less then what my family deserves... I know sounds like self pity... and at times it is... trying to get my head around the fact I am not who I used to be... and how much my self esteem resulted from my body and what I could do... the fact that for yrs I pushed through it ...I cant push anymore even though I try all the time ... thanks everyone for letting me share...

13 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Hun,got to say thats how I feel when I have a flare but meds tend to keep them to a minimum do feel for you with headaches though.Sometimes you do feel as if it would be easier to give up.depression follows us Fibro people everywhere!Maz x

I feel like that most of the time to varying degrees minus the migranes. Those are only every so often. THANK GOD! Meds help some but not totally. And that's exactly how I describe it to people. I tell them to remember the worst flu body aches they ever had then double or triple it. That's how I feel on a good day. We're all in the same place I think with feeling like failures or the guilt that comes with our families having to make adjustments for us. It just plain sucks. You work so hard to take care of your family & push through the pain & exhaustion then one day it beats you & it just can't be done anymore. My silver lining is that since I have been forced to slow down & there's no guarantee of what I can do each day, I enjoy what I am able to do more. Its not much but it's what I got. I recently started seeing a counselor. It was against my wishes but my dr wore me down & its actually helping. I don't know if you see anyone but when I hit the bottom because I can't pay for something or help my son with something it helps to have someone looking in from the outside. They notice things you don't.

Take care
Krista

I was like that for almost a year before I tried the savella. I had to titer up real slow, and still have real bad bad days, I do have the flu now and could'nt tell if it was a worse flare day to push thru, yeah, pushing thru the flu, when everyone else would have been in bed. WE are tough , no one knows how hard it is to struggle everyday with differing degrees of pain and new different sx. Are you on any meds like Savella, lyrica or cymbalta? before the savella I was ready to give up. Now there are are some better days and coping is easier. Though it is very hard dealing with the side effects, pain in MUCH worse. I read a really good article on coping with the bad days, and crying in private was listed, as one, anyway, sorry but it works for me...just remember, your family loves you and may get frustrated so seeing you trying to be happy when they are pulling your weight and doing little things like reading out funny jokes is all they really want, to see you slightly happy. If only I could follow my own advice. My husband has to work, do the shopping, cleaning , whatever I can't do that day, week , month, and he never complains. Yet he did tell me once that if I seemed happier he wouldn't mind so much....after me asking and crying for an hour. So, yeah, get on the forums, you won't feel so all alone, there are tons of people in this world who are worse off, and do your part to spread a little smile. If you can't, cuddle in a blanket and get on the inet for support!!! I also feed birds as a hobby and I will watch them..or listen to music on utube and shut out the world for a while...what about topomax for migraine prevention? I take 25 mg a day and have none anymore. Believe me it was hard to get on even that amount for me. suffered for years thinking it was sinus infections. Now hardly ever a migraine. Reading about others fights with this invisable disease is the only thing that keeps me going!

Oh i know how you feel. I feel like i have flu most of the time.I get a very rare day when it eases off but is it rare. Every muscle in my body ache's and would just love to go to bed an sleep but of course we cant, life has to go on. Meds dont even seem to work that much anymore. Going away for a few days to the sun so really hoping it helps. It can really get you down sometimes but the hope that tomorrow will be a better day is what get me through. And reading everyone elses post's that are feeeling just like me helps lots, because when i trying to explain to family how i feel, i feel like i'm moaning all the time, even though they have been great. Would love to get back to my old self,just so they dont have to listen to me whinge all the time lol. Hope you feel better soon!

I get flu like symptoms all the time, when I was working I remember having to leave work because I thought I was being hit with the flu; body aches, weird headache, nasuea sometimes fever. I would get home take tylenol and go to bed then wake up feeling a little better, but not completely. It's almost like "your about to get sick" and then it just lingers for days on end. Now I know it's a flare and Tylenol dosen't help much anymore. I'll have to take something stronger which takes the edge off but dosen't help with the tiredness that come with it. A hot shower or heating pad seems to help, but not too hot and not for too long or I get exhausted. FM can be very depressing for a woman I can only image that a man with a family feels just as bad. Take care and hang in there, find something you enjoy that dosen't take much energy such as crosswords puzzles..

Thanks You Guys.... So often feel like its just in my head.. that everyone at 52 has aches and pains... so I go through a time of telling myself to just ignore it....mind over matter..I am stronger then it is ...then I find myself in the start of something simple wondering if I can make it back into the house...head spinning and muscles locked up with very intense pain without even trying to move... feel like if I just can relax and find the position that allows things to chill out....feels pretty embarrassing sitting or kneeling all twisted up and unable to move...its just stupid...I do hide what I can from family and friends but then they will ask why I am grumpy when all I am really doing is doing everything I can to be there and be alive...I do check the grumpys but wow what a head trip.... wouldnt wish this on anyone... seems drs. just want to load me up with pills...take a whole handful of meds twice a day and many pain killers in between times...tempted to throw all the pills away... but fear of what I would deal with without em, keeps me following drs orders...I swore when I was younger I would never get old and haft to take a pill cocktail everyday... it appauled me... now I am what I hated....the migraines are the biggest fear as I dont think I could go though the full extent of it as I barely get through with the meds that are so toxic I am only allowed to take two pills a week and then its off to er for shots ...wow shared more then I thought I would... Thanks You guys for being here... in a way it makes me stronger to know your out there in this fight (sorry about that)... and I am not alone!!! in a crowd of people that really dont know what its like...

Hi there,

I just wanted to add my voice to let you know you aren't alone in what you're feeling. I find that it is very much like having the flu all time, OR feeling like you're coming down with something that never actually hits you fully. I typically get a headache at the base of my neck (almost like my giant awesome brain is too big for my head to carry). This happens daily, and usually the headache I can nip in the bud with some Advil, but I try not to take it if I can because I don't want to ruin my organs by taking too much. The more I think about things the less I want to take other FM drugs, because I think a lot of issues stem from taking one drug and then having to take another to stop the effects of the first, etc etc. That being said, you should work with your doctor to see what works for you and do NOT go on or off drugs without informing them.

I think we all feel guilty to some degree about how much we can and can't do for our families. Try to remember while you struggle, no matter what YOU, you are presenting to your family, you are still there and that's what counts. A sick you is better than no you at all.

You are not alone. I feel like I have the flu most of the time...fibro flu. Some days it is not too bad and some days it's really bad. I don't get migranes but I do get headaches...not much helps, have tried cymbalta and that did not go well. I just do what I can. Saturday, i had a pretty good day...when I do I always feel like I do too much and then the next day isn't good but you do what you do and live the best you can. I am 56 so I know some of my pain is arthritis as I have it but I also know a lot of the strange flu like symptoms and pain are fibro. My wish is it go away, for all of us.

Yes to all that except I don't get migraines. It is the hallmark symptom of fibromyalgia to feel like you have the flu. That is why I would not know if I had it to some extent. It is a horrilbe way to try to exist. But I just must push on and work and support my kids the best I can. But tell someone you feel like that all the time and they want to roll their eyes. They think we are full of it. They cannot imagine what this is like each and every day of our lives. Little do the people know that have the flu right now that fibromyalgia patients deal with it every day. And we have no choice. We either live with it or lay down and give up. They would say "there is no way you could function if you feel that bad".... but we do. And they would not believe us either if we laid down and gave up they would think we were just crazy.

I feel the same way you do. I understand.

Debra

Thanks Again Everyone.... Your replys have helped me to keep going forward...... its sad we all get strength from what we share... doesnt make much sense but its true...

U are so not alone. i go through what u experience on a daily basis. it really sucks taking all the meds i do everyday. i feel like i have pharmacy in my cabinet... i cant speak for anyone else but i do have my own pity party. I am not who i was prior to this all happening. i feel as if i have lost myself and it really sucks. I am determined to get back to some sort of normalcy, if that makes any sense. i know i will never be who i was and do the all the things i used to be able to do. but it would be nice to actually feel better and get back to work even part time. I know its not happening now... but hoping in the future. As much as i hate taking all my meds.. they have been working and it is showing slight improvement in my blood work.. which is a postive thing. im just glad i finally found a doctor who is helping me, who believes what im going through is real, who tells me its normal to feel anxiety and stress... for all that im going through.. he told me i owuldnt be normal if i didnt feel those feelings.
Know u have support here and u are not alone!!!! ur feelings are real, ur emotions are real and there is nothing wrong in how u feel. u are entitled to feel the way u.

big hugs, chris

Yes, I feel like I have the flu every min of every day. Some days are worse than others and some days I have migraines. You are not alone. I am going through a rough time now.

I feel like I have the flu almost every day.. Every once in a while I get a decent day but then I suffer for a few days cause I actually try to get things done.. I am more stressed right now so this seems to have a big affect on me as well. I was up in the middle of the night with incredible leg pain.. Anyone have this ... It feels like someone is twisting all the muscles inside my knees ( both of them ) and I cannot get to sleep. I finally got up at 3 and put some voltarin on them and sat up and read.. Only to find myself sleeping in the chair at 6 am.. What a night.
I am so sorry that you all on here must feel this flu feeling . It is a crappy deal.. Big Hugs to all. Patti

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders