Hot Flashes..Feels Like a Fever

I am ten years out of menopause, but since my Epstein Barr/Fibro/chronic fatigue diagnosis..I get random hot flashes that feels like I have a fever. I used to take my temperature when I got one but never have a fever. I wonder if it is a weakness that overcomes me and my body is telling me something. All the things that used to bring them on during menopause ..sugar, caffeine, alcohol are again bringing them on so I avoid all of that, but i still will get a random one once in awhile..Sue

10 replies. Join the discussion

I sure understand the hot flashes. I am somewhere around menopause. I still have periods but I get horrible hotflashes. I hate it. It is embarrasing also. And strage enough, sometimes when I am not even feeling hot I just break out sweating.
I don't know what would be causing yours. Have you considered hormone replacement therapy? Estrogen? Just a thought.
Debra

Thanks Debra,
I am reading a few books on bio-identical hormones by Suzanne Summers..may consider it. I never realized just how important those levels are to your overall health...Susan

With my Fibro sometimes my skin gets so hot it turns red and is hot to the touch but a thermometer reveals no temperature. I am only 36 so I am not in menopause so I think this is just one more thing that flares up with being a Fibro sufferer. I've found that taking hot showers then relaxing in a cool room will settle down the heated skin. Good luck to you.

--Wenz

I have the same thing. My skin feels hot and even looks red. But, I do sometimes run a low grade temperature. I also have Scleroderma so that could be the reason I have the temperature. I think the heat and redness if caused by the inflammation brought on by the Fibro. I'm no doctor, just a thought.

Kathy

The feeling of a fever comes over me on days where the fibro and chronic fatigue symptoms are worse. I wonder if I am just feeling weak and that is responsible for the feeling of a fever or hot flashes. I have been drinking more water during the day and that seems to be helping a lot. Someone mentioned the water cure and i have been reading up on it and since I increased my daily water and a pinch of sea salt, I feel much better!..Susan

i get severe hot flashes and i too get embarrassed my makeup comes running right off of me my hubby is alwats saying why are u swaeting so bad. all wimter i was in paIN BUT hAD the windown open because i was so hot from the heat i also was sucking on popsicles like crazy to cool off
janmak but am going for OBGYN and will question premenopausal

I absolutely get these types of hot flashes, as do both of my teenagers! But I have a Periodic Fever Syndrome (TNF Receptor Associated Periodic Syndrome, or TRAPS). While I also have fibro, I've always attributed the hot flashes to TRAPS. I just received the diagnosis after genetic testing last autumn. We're waiting for my two teenagers' genetic testing results right now. Anyway, I also frequently go get the thermometer to see if I've got a fever. Sometimes I'll have a lo-grade fever, but often-times not. However, I'm nearly always certain that these hot flashes signal an oncoming period of flare, either fibro or TRAPS related.

Have you looked into the possibility of having a Periodic Fever Syndrome? I would ask that same question of the people who replied and wrote about the red skin... I understand one of them has sclero, but it's something worth questioning...

Wishing you a day of ease,
Rowan

I do get this alot during at he start of a bad flare upl I also get VERY restless during this time, with sweats and chills, I had a hysterectomy @ 26 so I went thru the hot flashes and do not seem to get those as much anymore, but sometimes I get what feels like one with this feeling over overall body aches and flu-like feelings with warm skin; I am CERTAIN that I have a fever, when in fact I dont, occasionally it is a lo grade temp tho. I think it does go hand in hand with the condition of FM.
stay-cool :)
and PAIN FREE!

k

i know just what you mean i do my hair then wham my head burns and its all wet i have to sit outside in resterant good job it mostly warm in spain its not like a hot sweat its like your head burns if you stand near me you can feel thee heat,i would say this is one of fybro other little games it plays

Drinking a lot of water would definitely help. You should add a dash of lemon to turn it into a tastier drink. Along with lemon water, you can have a lot of fruit juice. In addition, eating less spicy food and wearing layered clothing helps to reduce hot flashes and night sweats. However, first you should meet your doctor and understand what is causing you this discomfort. It this because of improper functioning of adrenal gland or are your estrogen levels low. In both the cases, numerous natural remedies can help in restoring hormonal balance. http://www.femestra.com/

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders