Fibro and leg pain

I am asking for anyone who is experiencing this to reply.I am on amitriptyline at bedtime,which is to help me sleep and it was working with a lot of the pain I was having. About 4 weeks ago, my husband started 2 weeks of working the night shift.It was temporary,and after a few days I was used to it,BUT after the first week,I started getting a lot of very heavy agonizing pain in my legs.I am now back at a normal sleeping pattern--sleeping nights, and the pain is still there! I find walking up stairs extremely painful and I feel totally exhausted again.Could this be a flare up? or from changing my sleeping pattern? I am so uncomfortable even when sitting.I cannot stop standing up and moving my legs around.I will bring this up to my dr in 2 weeks,but for now any help would be appreciated. I really would like to know how to distinguish a flare up from regular pain.Thanx!

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, Pumpkin.

I experience most of my pain in my legs so I might not be of much help here. I do find that my flares get worse at night. We joke (only slightly) that I am no good after about 5 or 6 at night because my legs stop working.

The good news is that when I am not in as much of a flare (my flare hasn't completely gone away in about 4 years) the pain in my legs is less. When I am in more of one - like last week - the pain in my legs increases.

I would talk with your dr. about it and see what they think to be sure. There may be something they can give you for the new pain or it may be something you have to grin and bear.

Good luck!

Liadona

So flares can last a long time. Thats what I guess my question is. Does your sleeping pattern have anything to worsen them?

Hey Pumpkin,
I have had fibro since before it had a name! I sleep thru
the pain with trazadone , an anti depressant. you might want to at least ask about it. In addition you might want to ask you doc about peripheral artery issues. I had a
bypass this past march and now have new issues with
arm and let heaviness and pain. No answers yet but I
can't see the doc till late next week...........he is awfully busy, you see

Hi Pumpkin! Wow.. I lived in Saugus, Cliftondale for 18 yrs! Now retired to Ohio. I too have terrible leg pain.. it began many years ago and it was restless leg syndrome where my legs would not stop moving and the pain would subside if I got up and walked about. My doc put me on clonopin at bedtime and it works like a charm still for the restless leg.. but the pain.. OY... I take 100 mg of trazedone with the 2 mg of clonopin at bedtime. I avoid using the vicodin as vicodin makes me very hyper.. and I would be washing windows at 3 AM... I was not sure if you changed your sleep pattern to to match your husbands. If you did, you very well could have aggravated your fibro. Circadian sleep patterns once disrupted can wreck havoc on you. Its best to stick to the sleep pattern that gives you the best sleep. Mine happens to be from 3AM ( god knows why this hour...) to about noon... sometimes til 1PM.. I just sleep til my body feels it has gotten the rest it needs. Hope my info was helpful to you and hope your pain diminishes soon.
Regards,
Andrew

Hi, Pumpkin.

Yes, flares can last a long time. Mine has been progressively getting better but stress - both emotional and physical - can have an effect on them.

I wish you luck and hope you find the help you need to get some rest!

Liadona

Yes, flare ups can last quite awhile. Lots of things can trigger them. The change in sleep could have done. I find that hormones, weather and stress will do it also. I use Klonopin 0.5mg at bedtime also. I also use Lyrica because I found that amitriptyline made me gain too much weight. Amitriptyline was working for me. I like the Lyrica better though. I have less cobweb feeling in the brain when I wake up.

I did have a leg pain flare once that lasted five months and I need physical therapy to over come it. The issue that I was having was that one hip was sitting slightly higher and this was keeping me in a constant flare. The physical therapist that I saw was very knowledgeable about fibromyalgia and she put insert in my shoe, told me to try and wear shoes as much as possible to keep my body supported and gave me exercises to do. I saw her three times a week and she would rub out the legs. It was not always the most comfortable thing. In the end it was the thing that did end the flare.

I am in the most pain at night and in the early morning. I make it a rule to never commit to anything in the early morning or late evening.

Since you mentioned fatigue as also an issue, I would think that it is a flare. This is how I tell the difference in regular pain and a flare.

Funny I have a sleep pattern similar to Andrew's. I leave it be. For years I tried to change it only to feel worse.

I did change my sleep pattern,which at first was hard, but after a few days I felt fine. It was after the 2 weeks of this sleeping days,then returning back to sleeping nights //my normal routine that the leg pain started.I am back on a normal pattern of sleep---maybe it will ease up.As far as weight gain--- I had lost 20 lbs,and since taking the amitripyline,I have gained back 10! I am craving sweets.Before the med I didnt really eat them anymore. Any advice-how to slow the cravings???Thanks!

Hi Pumpkin!
I can't really address extended flares. My first one lasted about six months, but since then I've only had two major flares. I've been able to tell when a flare is coming on and take action to avoid them.

I experience leg pain, but it's more due to a congenital foot deformity that wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30's, and arthritis. Like Andrew, I have restless leg syndrome and Lyrica helps tremendously with that, with my sleep issues and with neuralgia. The neuralgia, for me, is a strong pain with a burning sensation that I get only in my legs and feet.

Our sleep patterns and issues definitely affect our symptoms. Any kind of sleep disturbances can increase our levels of pain. Not getting restful sleep can leave you dealing with fatigue and fibro fog as well and for me can definitely lead to a flare up.

I hope your symptoms decrease soon....

When I am in a really bad flare, I will crave food that my body does not need that will keep me in the flare longer. I am not sure why my body does this but I am sure there are other people with FM that experience the same thing. This also without a medication that brings on cravings. I remind myself that I need to eat healthy meals and that not doing so might prolong the flare.

For me sometimes something as simple as fresh fruit will take the cravings down.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders