Does weather affect Fibromyalgia pain?

Hi all ~ this is the 2nd time I've poked my head out here on this forum to ask a question. I haven't had my fibromyalgia diagnosis for very long and really don't know a lot about it, other than it seems like the pain keeps on getting worse and worse all the time. But my question here today is about the weather. Does the weather play any part in making my fibromyalgia pain worse? Cold weather? Hot weather? I would appreciate any responses, even if it's just a quick yes or no. Thank you all!

33 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Kathy23,

I know that cold weather always makes me hurt worse. I don't know if that is true for everyone but the pain sure does seem be more intense when it is cold for me.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,
People in pain will tell you the weather makes it worse, Fibromyalgia or not. I get headaches sometimes that I think are connected with the barometric pressure. Are they connected with my Fibromyalgia? Who knows. After almost 17 years of it, it is difficult to remember what all I felt before. I try to focus on things I can control or at least influence.
Susan

i know before i get out of bed its bad weather ,i am in pain,but also if it get very hot and humid i am in pain also here in spain they will not do opps in august they say it takes longer to heal also your blood pressure can change mine drops so being on meds for high bp has me back to the docters,so yes i think it can effect all our health problems, here in spain the docter know and give the help we need

Hi Kathy,

YES!!!! Oh does it ever effect the fibromyalgia!!! When the barometric pressure drops, you will notice it. This year has been worse than usual. When I went to my Fibro doc last month ago, I asked about it. My doc confirmed that it will or usually does make it worse. My doctor said the reason it has seemed worse this year is because of the drastic weather changes we've had since December and so often. I am in Missouri and we will go from 80 to 40 within a day lately with all the storms.

I wish I had something to tell you to make it better, but I haven't figured that out yet. I do sit with a light blanket on me when I'm sitting. It doesn't work miracles, but it does help a tiny bit. When it is really bad sometimes I will put a heating pad or blanket on my body.

Good luck to you. I know it doesn't help the pain, but it does help to know you're not alone with this.
Carol

So appreciate you all taking the time to give me some feedback. I became curious last night when I was sitting outside for a good while at the baseball field and started getting attacked with pain. It was cool out as I live in the Pacific Northwest. Then after we got home and I warmed up I noticed that I wasn't hurting as much as I had been at the ballpark. That is what got my curiosity up. I have psoriatic arthritis and cold weather does affect it, but the pains that I was feeling were those of fibromyalgia.
Thank You all! Kathy

Weather DOES affect it. I know whenever it's cold, raining or snowing...things like that...my fibro acts up. Today is one of those days. :(

Chilly, wet days are the worst for me. I get really bad headaches. And it feels like somebody took a baseball bat to me everywhere. OWOWOWOWOW!!! In the summer, when it gets hot and humid, the headaches get bad. And in the winter..oh, I don't know. Guess what I'm trying to say...really echo what everybody else has said, is YES, weather definitely affects my fibro.

Matter of fact, we've had FILTHY weather in Chicago this last week and I hurt like crazy. Makes me look forward to the 60 degrees they've forecast within the next week. Cannot wait!!!!

The cold weather effects me the most. I live in Florida and am used to the warm weather although the humidity gives me an awful headache. I went to Ma. this winter for a couple of weeks and was miserable the whole time I was there. The only time I could warm up and feel a little bit better was in bed with lots of blankets. I don't know how you all can manage living in the north. I hurt enough with my weather. Who knows, maybe I was just having a bad flare up. I sure wish someone would find out some answers for us so we could live a normal life.
I do have a suggestion for everyone who hurts from the cold. I purchased a heated mattress cover at Bed Bath & Beyond (they had to order it) it has adjustable dual controls and really helps at night when I am hurting bad.
Hope you all start to feel better soon. Take care
Donna

You people are very kind, caring, and wonderful people. I so appreciate the answers and the advice too. I do live in such a wet, damp, and often chilly area. I spend a lot of time indoors with my cozy woodstove. But now that spring is here and my son is playing baseball I am all of the sudden spending more and more time outside. Couldn't help but notice my pain levels going up when I am sitting outside for 2-4 hours at a time. Come on springtime........please warm up!!!!
Thank you my friends & take care,
Kathy

I can tell a drop in temps outside when I get out of bed. I don't even have to poke my head out the door because my body will ache unbelievably worse. I have heard that our symptoms are affected by barometric pressure. (whatever that is...I am no meteorologist). But the winter months seem to bring more pain. However the hot humid east tx summers make me miserable also because I just don't tolerate heat anymore. It makes me so dragged down and more exhausted.
But the answer to your question is yes.... the weather does affect us and our pain levels.
Debra

One word: YES!

I take 60 mg of Cymbalta every day and it has helped tremendously.I can garden and go shopping now whereas before I was pretty much housebound. I had to watch what type of shoes I wore,what type of chair i sat in and what type of sidewalk i walked on. That made me very anxious and nervous because i knew i would pay for it later. Now i pretty much do anything I want to.Still have to not over excert myself . I also take Cyclobenzaprine(muscle relaxer) before bedtime and at least i get my sleep. Hope this will inspire some of you to tell your dr. to try Cymbalta and see what happens.I started out on 30mg and then a month later jumped up to 60. Prayer helps a lot too so i will pray for all of you who are suffering.

Hi Kathy,
I am an odd ball for you i constantly feel cold all the time although the heat really helps and even a hot shower. The i stay close by to my morphine so i can get from A to B.
Unfortunately in my case i have Fibromyalgia which likes the heat and prevents my joints becoming stiff and on the other hand i have kikuchi's which gives me a high tempreture so i need to stay cool. Though in my home im always wrapped in a sleeping bag to keep me warm as i constantly feel cold.

Try and enjoy the hot weather and the jucuzzi if you can get to one. I use to and it really helped me, when i was not so poorly.

Regards Jig x

OMG does it ever affect pain levels!!! Usually it's cold or rain or dampness ... or any combination thereof ... but now that the weather has turned HOT I've been like a dishrag! All I want to do is sleep because I usually don't hurt as much then. Note that I said "usually." This last week has been an exception to every rule. So the pain meds are out again. Damn I hate this disease!!

Here are some links you may find interesting. Yes, weather can definitely be a factor.

Aches and Pains Forecast from Accu Weather
http://www.accuweather.com/health-aches-pains.asp

Aches and Pains Forecast from the Weather Channel
http://www.weather.com/activities/health/achesandpains/

Weather and Pain from Arthritis Today
http://www.arthritistoday.org/symptoms/pain/weather-pain.php

Weather and Pain from WebMD
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/the-weather-wreaking-havoc-on-healt h

My husband claims I am a walking/talkig barometer.

In my case, the answer is yes. During the winter months i definately ache more than usual.

What I have to say on this matter already has been said, many times and by many people.

The only thing I have to add has to do with barometric pressure. Most of the posters here notice that their pain gets worse when that pressure goes down. Here's an explanation that could possibly explain what that is so.

Barometric pressure--for those who might not understand what that is--is the pressure the air around us pushes against everything, including our bodies. That pressure is affected by weather. Usually, but not always, a low pressure is accompanied by damp weather. Conversely, a high pressure is accompanied by very low humidity. However, it usually is not the humidity that affects our pain: it is the pressure of the air around us. When that pressure is high, it presses against our bodies and prevents any swelling of tissues. When the pressure is low, there is nothing to prevent our tissues from swelling. And it is the swelling of tissues that in turn allows our nerves to swell, and then we experience "pain."

I haven't checked the above to know if I am correct, but I think I am.

Gladys

Kathy 23,

I most definitely agree! YES, the weather plays a huge role into our pain! Extreme tempuratures, hot or cold can do it, and sometimes hunidity and rain contribute as well.

--Wenz

I am a new member also with Fibro. My feet are like ice blocks at night, but do have heavy sweat....can you explain that? We have a very cold and chilly winter this year.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders