Does anyone have pain in your ribs??

I have a lot of pain in my rib cage to the point it hurts to take a breath. I'm not sure if it's the fibro or the arthritis. So was wondering if anyone else has the same thing ???

29 replies. Join the discussion

I have pain in my rib cage but not as bad. My ribs hurt when I lay on my side to sleep...it truly makes sleeping even harder.
Shelly

Yes! To the point of going to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. I was told, after I gave them my history, of fibro, and my heart checked out fine, that some fibro patients get painful, to the point where it hurts to breath, inflammation in the connective
tissue throughout the rib cage called costchondritis, as the most typical trigger points in fibro pain, do not have to be in the rib cage. I've heard other fibro sufferers talk of rib cage pain, and also the breast bone. It hurts !! Heating pad helps a bit, til you get off it.

Yes, I have pain and soreness in all my ribs. I had so much pain in my left side under my breasts that I kept rubbing and rubbing it until I made it so tender that I can hardly raise my arm over my head or lift anything. I thought I might have broken a rib. I have the little sore knots on most of my ribs and if you put pressure(DON'T RUB) on them sometimes they seem to go away but other times it makes them worse or they just won't go away. Strange thing, this fibromyalgia.
God help us all!
Karen

I get that too. I breath shallow and I get like knots in between each rib I get messages for that but is very painful and burns when the knots get dissolved. My breast bone hurts and my muscle between my shoulders and breast. When I get messages it burns from the inside out.

Hi yes i have pain all over my body today i am seized up have had a walk but my whole body is just finding it hard to move my hips are not wanting to move and my arms feel so painful and heavy my ribs feel like someone is sitting on them and crushingnthem and excuse the awful type as my fingers are finding it hard to get moving to all in all a bit of astate today !!!! love to all diddle x

The hot water bottle, or heating pad gives some relief. Sleeping, what's that. lol. But you are right, it's the pain of staying in one position, that wakes me up, the hips the ribs, tossing, turning, up, down, it never ends. I take a xanax, and some magnesium before bed, the sleeping rx's lunesta, ambien, and the like, and I've tried them all, just have to many side affects, and they really don't allow me to sleep for any length of time anyway. I tried melatonin, valerian, still will take them occasionally to.

Well my ribs and breast bone also hurt and like many of you it hurts to breath. And on the hips. Ugh yeah my hips hurt a lot my dr diagnosed me with bursitis in my hips. I'm sick of the pain but more sick of having to deal and depend on dr's for meds for relief. I can't take sleep meds cause it tears my stomach to shreds. I take a soma ( muscle relaxer) on occasion to help me sleep. Pain meds I'm on are morphine and loratab. Also I take nurotin and that seems to help. I've tried a lot of meds over the years and the meds I'm on now seem to help me the most. I live in south Florida but may be moving to Colorado soon and was wondering if anyone lives in cold dry climates and how that is. I've been there for visits in the summer and winter but couldn't tell cause just traveling brings flares on. Also I've been getting the knots between my ribs since as far back as my teens. I didn't know that was a fibro thing. I'm also having my lymph nodes swell as of the past few years. If ya read my profile you'll see all my surgerys etc. the lymph in my lower right abdomen has been some of the worste pain since my hysterectomy. Ugh pain pain go away. Hope everyone has a pain free night.

My ribs are very painful if I touch them with light pressure. Otherwise, I don't notice it. But what the one peron described here is probably what is going on with you. Costochonritis is common in fibro patients I believe.
Debra

I am so glad i am not the only one my family thought i was making it up so I can totally relate to all of you!
sadly i had several falls thinking it was my fibro, i ignored it only to later find out i did have a hairline fracture, eventhough the hospital treatment was nxt to nothing. They just double up my drugs, turn me into a zombie and send you home.

So i now know to take it easy and take my prescriptions drugs as normal increase when needed and pace my daily exercises out. I pefer being at home and in the comfort of my surroundings than in hospital when you require assistance no one is available. at least there aint a que in my ladies Lol! x
Wishing you all a peaceful nyts sleep! easy said than done thats for sure. x

You should look into the Costochondritis. I too saw my regular doctor and an orthopedic doctor, had x-rays etc and no one knew what it was. Finally in so much pain I (slowly) drove myself to the emergency room and diagnosed me with Costo- nothing really can be done but pain pills and rest. Mine went away after a couple of weeks and I have had two more bouts of it. Look into it- it's always so nice to know it's not in your head. Take care!

I'm with the rest of you, mine is mostly at night i end up with spasms so bad in my rib cage I also thought i was having a heart attack. This sight it great for info. I also have hip pain, it was bursitis and was given a cortisode (don't remember how 2 spell it) that helped alot.It seems like nothing works right in our bodies with this disease. I DO LIVE IN A COLD CLIMATE it is hard with fibro all i can say is dress in lots of layers, keep yourself warm. I've had to wear long johns,long sleeve shirts,pj.s fingerless gloves and leg warmers 2 bed(it helped alot) I also find myself holding my breath all the time, which i guess could could be from the spasms anyone else with this problem? plus i'm extremely jumpy. Take care!

You need to get it checked. Probably costochondritis but it could be something like pleurisy as well.

Pain in diaphragm as well makes me scream sometimes, not fora while. I had rib pain and pain in the breast bone I hate it so and feel so sorry for everyone who has this beastly thing. It goes on and on I have had it for more than thirty years. Keep your beak up everyone, my little Mum used to say! sleep well.

Did anyone ever have any cortisone shots in any of there trigger areas?
More of a surface shot, not the ones that go deep in, that you have to be sedated for. It's my neck which has severe degenerative disc disease, but that area is also one of my worst trigger areas, the base of my head and upper neck. I had that way before my discs starting falling apart. Someone on the board said something about botox, but I don't know what would be right for me. The first dr I went to for the DDD said the deep shots under sedation for me, but I'm a little scared of it. That it would cause more pain.
Does anyone know about a lighter cortisone shot for relief ? Thanks friends.

I have had the cortisone shots years ago. For me I hurt worse in the area I got the shot for a week. Now that being said my father had RA really bad and he would get those and for the next three months he was like a spring chicken. I have been told in the past I have chosteocongritis also. Hope this helps good luck!

I have pain in my ribs all the time and I understand the pain when breathing. Pain level goes up when ribs are touched. Hot packs and resting do make you feel a little bit more confortable. Also doing relaxation type of breathing helps, although you still use your lungs the breathing comes from the "belly"

On the days when the pain levels are down a bit I do Tai Chi exercises that expand your chest. On warm/hot days I try to include swimming as it is important to have as much lung function as possible, especially if you have other health issues.

The most important thing I say to you all is: JUST KEEP BREATHING :)

Kath

YES! It hurts! THEY HURT! EVERYTHING HURTS! :(

Excuse me.....but, I have a doctors' appointment tomorrow & even tho he's a great guy
& very understanding.....I still hate seeing doctors/hospitals/dentists.....etc. You get the drift
here. Called STRESS!!!!!

(((HUGS))) from nerved-up eaglehaslanded

I've had fibro for many years, I am now 60. I have had intermittant pain in my ribs for about 26 years. Partly due to fibro I guess, but mainly due to chronic gastritis. I feel like I've been hit by a mack truck. And inhaling to breath does hurt like heck. I use a heating pad and take a form of ibuprofen, for the inflammation. Do you have any stomach issues? Perhaps you could get that checked out. When we have fibro, we tend to assume each and every pain is due to the fibro. If pain is new, different or stronger than 'usual', you really should get it checked out by your PCP, fibro doc, who ever manages your fibro. You could be hurting yourself by assuming it is part of fibro. Valery

I had cortizone/lidocane shots. First for my sciatica and one for my neck. You don't need to be sedated. I wasn't. You just can't be afraid, you do not want to move, and you must be able to handle the first little shots that numb you for the big one. It's quite cool actually, to be awake and know what they are doing. You can sort of see the florascope, type of xray that they use to see where they are putting the needle. It's in 'real time'. And where I went they were joking with me and explaining it. Then I was able to just rest, then drive myself home. No big deal. To have to have sedation when it's not really necessary. Not for me. It is a fast procedure. Why take the risk of sedation.

I don't know then, what type my nephew is getting, something in the facet joint in his back, where he has to be sedated because it is a very deep needle. The ones he got, before his surgery to stabilize his spine, did not help him, now he had the back surgery, and is still in pain, and going to try them again. I have a dr appt in april, I was going to ask about the cortisone shots, for my neck, but I was just wondering, I guess it's different for everybody, like anything else. Thanks everyone!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders