Does anyone else have sharp stabbing pains in their thigh?

For a couple of years I have suffered with sharp stabbing pains in my left thigh, mostly on the outer left side. I do have arthritis in my knees, but this is about midway between the knee & hip. It is like someone is stabbing me with a knife and although it is not constant it is quite often. It eased up quite a bit when my chiropractor tried using accupuncture on my lower left leg, but it gets much worse if I dont do that. I have had a nerve conduction test done and it was normal, but it definately feels nerve related. I try not to take pain meds for various reasons, so I suffer quite a bit, but I am more open to taking a more natural approach to healing such as supplements, amino acids, vitamins etc. Has anyone else had the same type of pain, do you know what it is or how to help? The orthopedic dr said it is periphial neuropathy but the only treatment seems to be anti-depressants or pain meds, and I have been resistant to those so far. I don't know if I can afford to continue the accupuncture that seemed to help the frequency of attacks. Thank you so much for any support with this.

12 replies. Join the discussion

Little sharp pains in my thighs, knees, butt. Not debilitating, but annoying, and mostly at night, or if I'm sitting on something hard.

I get those kinds of pain at times in random places. So the answer is yes. It happens once in a while but usually that type of pain just lasts a few minutes for me.
debra

My parents have used Neurontin/Gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy with some success. I get fibro pain in the area you mention and I'm not sure why it is particularly there, but I have a hunch it is hormonal cramps made worse by fibro! Wrk

i have that pain almost everyday, except mine feels like a little man pulling the muscles at the top of the thigh and his mean friend pulling from the area above the knee. or if i was able like 100 lunges per thigh. i just whince whenever i go out to pull weeds or sweep.

trade a friend a job you can do . like you'll read her book for her while she pulls weed. lol !!!!!! keep me posted. and bless you

yes, I know the pain. Mine was like the nerve pain when a dentist hits an exposed nerve but 100 times worse. Happened at night when I was asleep then BAM!!! I was up in a flash trying to stop the pain. It would last about 20 miniutes before subsiding. I tried Neurontin/Gabapentin with absolutely no help. The only thing that took care of it was a epidural steriod injection. Now I only get a nerve shock from time to time in that area and in many spots throughout my body. I also have sarcoidosis so I do not know if this if from the fibro or the sarc. It really doesn't matter as it is all painful. I hope you can get some relief.

Can you tell me what the epidural steroid injection is like? Did that give you any side effects, and how long did it last to relieve the pains? Is is just an injection in the leg? Thanks so much, I'm glad you are feeling better. The fibro seems to bring on new unpleasant surprises in different ways - the gift that keeps on giving.

I am so afraid of injections. I had that pain for a stretch of maybe a week or so and was fearful that I had torn a muscle or that a muscle was separating. It seems to have abated now... it feels more like an ache instead of sharp.

Actually, I did not have any problems with the injection. It was a bit uncomfortable during the procedure but nothing I could not tolerate. Of course, how it affects one person could be totally different than another. I have had two of them and have had no problems. The injection is done in the spine in a very small area close to the area of the pain. As with anything, there are risks. I had to have a driver as the dr does not let you drive after the procedure. I went home and rested and was able to go back to work the next day. For me, the relief was almost instant and the pain has never come back as severe. Form time to time, I will get a wakeup call letting me know that it is still there but considering it was happening every night and during the day at times for about 4 months, I was very happy with the results. Prior to this injection, I did have just a steriod injection in the leg but it did not do a thing to help. The second injection was for severe pain in my arm and I had the same great results. Once again, how it affects one person does not mean it will affect another the same way. I would discuss with your dr of the risk and benefits. As for me, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I hope you can find some help as this type of pain can be maddening.....

Brahms-4me, i was afraid also but I could not take the pain any longer and had to do something and no medication was helping at all. I could not sleep and it was affecting my work. I hope you can get some relief because pain affects every aspect of your life and if very difficult to deal with. Take care

Thanks, tysonboy. I know that if it got to that point, I would cave and take the injections, too. It sounds like (as I believe) these types of pain stem from teh central and peripheral nervous system. The pain is actually caused at the nerve root, so any type of injection or treatment to the limb is less helpful than addressing the nerve root.

I am so afraid of injections in the spinal area that I avoided epidurals with all of my children. THEN, gave in and had a spinal tap to determine if it was MS I was dealing with, and it turned out not to be so terrible. :-) I"m just a sissy when it comes to that...it's a mind over matter thing.

You are right, it is mind over matter and I went in with the attitude that it certainly could not hurt more than what I was already dealing with. I had a spinal tap done many years ago and did not have any problems with that either. I think part of it is being able to relax during the procedure. The do deaden the area and the discomfort is mostly the pressure you feel. You will know that if the pain becomes unbearable and nothing else will help, you might just decide to give it a try. Be sure you know the risks vs the benefits......take care

I want to thank everyone for their input & support. It means alot, when someone is in discomfort, and it helps to hear from others who know what it is like to live with chronic pain. I might try that epidural injection if it gets worse. I did get an accupuncture done last Tuesday, and so far it seems to be keeping it under control. Thanks again to all, and best of health to everyone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders