Cymbalta

Hey all. I tried lyrica and had really, really bad side effects. Then tried savella, not much help so md added neurontin. I then got really depressed & had horrible mood swings. Off those, now trying cymbalta. What are your experiences with this med? Thanks, Ginger

15 replies. Join the discussion

im sorry ur having such problems with the meds u have tried. i unfortunately cant relaly help u because i am allergic to all antidepressants. i do know from experience that is trial and error with many meds. until u find the right combo for u... its gonna be a bit of a rough road. I heard cymbalta works for many but coming off of it people have had issues. I do wish u the best of luck and wish i could have been of more help.

hugs, chris

Hi Ginger,

I have been on Cymbalta for almost a year and a half. ..for about 1 year I was taking 20mg and presently I'm taking 40mg a day. When I've had severe flare-ups, my doctor has suggested I take 60mg, but I didn't want to up it. It has improved my ability to sleep more deeply at night, but I'm still fatigued most days. It has "dulled" some of the pain at times. It has suppressed my emotions. . .I used to cry easily and found it necessary to release actual tears. But since I've been on Cymbalta I've only had a "good cry" two or three times, and the pent up emotion is a little frustrating. Hopefully you will understand what I mean. I have read that coming off of it can be difficult and it should be done very slowly. Also, you have to have your heart checked regularly, and possibly bone density too.

Good luck if you decide to try it. . . .Take care! Caterina

Unbearable nausea from Cymbalta. I am trying LDN (low dose naltraxone) and it is lovely, no side effects so far great sleep, less pain. My doctor gives me four full dose tablets a month that i crush and mix with water and take just a small dose (1.5.ml in a syringe) at night. It really works.

I have been taking Cymbalta now for a few years. I take it for depression and it works for that for me very well. However, I don't believe it helps my pain levels. I could be wrong about that and I could be getting some relief that I don't realize.

Debra

Wasnt sure if you are taking these meds for depression or fibromyalgia or both? For me, Cymbalta was a lifesaver. For the first year & a half & worked amazing for my fibro pain. That wore off, but I'm still on it because my doctor feels its still helping me more than i think. I started to experience some depression about 6 mos. ago & could not get rid of it, even with therapy....so my doctor added Ambilify to my meds and I cannot tell you what a difference it has made! Depression is gone! On a pain patch for pain...so I am working, am able to grocery shop, clean my house...I still have pain 24/7...but it's all in check & i can live a somewhat normal life. One thing about Cymbalta tho is if / when u try to go off, ugh...it is hard! I turned into Cybil when I tried once. Worth the risk tho.

I started taking Cymbalta for anxiety and depression. Quite by accident, I discovered it helped with fibro pain and SFN caused by neurosarcoidosis. I also sleep better.

Bev

I have been on Gabapentin for 2 yrs and I have had very very little relief, I have one more jump to go to max dose. How ever I have been told by others on it that it works great, but a couple of those was on pain killers, I take gab. and cyc, something sorry I cant remember the complete name but its a mild muscle relaxer and Naproxen which is aspirin. I haven't had any side affects to the Gab. except when I have ran out of it and had to wait almost 2 weeks for it to come in the mail, then you can go into some really bad withdraw symptoms.

Patti,

I used to take gabapentin but since taking the Cymbalta I haven't had to with the exception ofthe occasional night when things are super bad. I've had much better results with the Cymbalta. Note, I take 90 mg day.

I also don't have to take my cyclobenzaprine (flexeril, muscle relaxer) as often either.

Bev

I have been on 60mg Cymbalta for about 2 years now. It works very well for me. I can feel the difference when I am late taking my meds. I do still have flares, but usually know that they are coming; ie: weather change, improper diet. I was prescribed Lyrica last winter to help control flares, but had bad side effects from it and so did not continue.
I hope that this little info helps and wish you well in your search for the proper medication.

My dosage was upped today to 900 mg of Gabapentin a day and my anti inflammatory was changed to Etodolas 400 mg x a day, cyclobenzaprine (flexeril, muscle relaxer) I don't remember the dose but its 2 x a day it don't really seam to help. It seems that most of the ppl on Cymbalta 60 mg is the best. I am thankful for your help Bev, I am taking this to my Dr to see if I might be able to switch. If I am right i MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE THESE UNTIL oops sorry they go to generic. Government policy I go to the VA.

Thanks for the input! I am on cymbalta 60 mg & going up to 90 mg next week. I do have depression sometimes but it's for the fibro mainly. I sure hope it helps!

my last post I said that I take 900 mg a day, correction that's 3 times a day. Aunt Bev that is the muscle relaxer I was talking about. It's now been 2 weeks since my gabapentin dose was raised and I started the new anti inflammatory med. some times my arthritis is a lot less pain at least the edge is off now, still no difference with the fibro.

I take Cymbalta 90 mg for my depression & anxiety disorders, but I have been on this for over a year, prior being diagnosed with Connective Tissue Disease-Unspecific. and Fibro. I know it is suppose to help with pain as well, but in my case it does not, but it works great for depression/anxiety.

I need to find a pain medication that is going to help me lighten this consent pain. I am currently on Plaquenil & LD of prednisone (which I am weening myself off don't like the side effects- puffy face, hands, headaches)

:)

When I ask for pain meds my V
A dr sayesthat the gab and the naproxen was my
My meds for pain, I was told by the norolgesttold me that my
Dr needs to change my meds and put me on pain meds I
Have asked her when she was going to change. Y meds
She was mad because the other drs told her she was wrong

NovRain, i started with Lortab pain medication--it worked for a few years. Problem is, you cannot go without it. Even on your better days, you will have to take it because if you don't, you will start to not feel so well. My doctor has since up'd me to a Fentynol patch 50mg. That is quite a strong pain med, but like you, I was in constant severe pain all the time. Now, I am almost normal. I work full time, i clean my house, go out with friends, it is great! I do not like the fact that I have to depend on a pain patch, but when you are sick, you do what you have to do. The Cymbalta also helps with the pain. I just started to have symtoms of depression (probably because of my fibro when it was at its worst) so my doctor added Abilify to my meds & let me tell u, this stuff is great, great, great! I feel happy, so much energy & best of all, it has helped with my pain too!!!! This is my pain regiman. If it works for me forever, i will be on it forever. I feel so bad for the people on here that have doctors that wont give them pain meds. You know what I say? Find another doctor. Seriously, that doctor has no clue then, and is worried more about the reports they get from the insurance companies, etc. than they are about that patient's pain. I realize they have to be cautious on who they give it to; but if you have never had any addiction problems, etc. there isn't any reason why they shouldn't prescribe something to help you live your life.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders