Aching Legs and Tingling

Hello everyone,
Just checking in and seeing if anyone else has this issue with their Fibro/CFS. My legs ache/hurt constantly, my ankles and feet do too and I have numbness/tingling in them. My neurologist diagnosed me with peripheral neuropathy a year and a half ago and I thought that was all it was. However, it has gotten worse, so I checked with my pain doctor (neurologist turned me over to him) and they did that test for peripheral nueropathy and it came back basically ok. He did find that my S1 (?) something looked wrong, so I am going for a lumbar MRI this afternoon. Possible spinal stenosis. But I am wondering if it is just Fibro related as I have read this can be a symptom. I am so tired of all the symptoms listed for Fibro. How do you ever know if it is something else? Thanks for any replies.

19 replies. Join the discussion

Yes fibro will cause numbness and tingling and they may find no explanation for it other than fibro. I get the numbness and tingling in my hands and fingers from time to time. Matter of fact that was one of my very first symptoms of fibro.

Bless you,
Debra

Oh boy - can I ever relate to the numbness/tingling thing. I am going through an extremely bad bout of it only in my outer left thigh. I agree with you Ivfrogs. It seems every little symptom is blamed on or related to fibro. Sometimes it feels like a "pat" answer. At least you are being tested to rule out some things. We all must be frustrating to out docs, because we all present some of the same (but different) symptoms (if that makes any sense).
Good luck with your test.

I went to my rheumy today for my yearly exam and told him about the symptoms that have gotten worse. One was the pain and tingling in my hands, especially sensitive on top. He just gave me a perplexed look. I asked if it could be the fibromyalgia and he said yes. I also have similar pain in my feet, achy bones and ankle pain. He upped my Cymbalta to 60 mg and said something about possibly feeling out of it the next morning. Has anyone on Cymbalta had this type of side effect?

You are all so informative and give me inspiration to take it a day at a time. With blessings to all of you for your strength and kindness!

Thanks for the replies. I will be sure to post when I get an answer back from my mri. I expect it to be normal though. Story of my medical life.
To Caterina - has upping your Cymbalta helped? I am on 30mg so would like to know if it helps you any. I hae the ankle pain and achy bones so bad too. Am curious! Let us know!

sassygram,
you are so right. I am sick of everything being attributed to Fibro. I am good on researching and plan on taking some stuff I have read to my doctor and getting tested. At least mine are willing to rule out stuff and thats a good thing! Hope you are having a good day today!

Yes, I have peripheral neuropathy. They call it, "idiopathic," which means they don't know where it came from. They have tested me for diabetes several times, but I'm only borderline diabetic. The leg pain is the worse! It started in my toe and moved up my legs slowly over the years.

Well, I can give you my experience on Cymbalta. I was on the 30mg for maybe 6 - 9 months or more (no concept of time..sorry).
When I started, and for maybe 3-4 months, I thought it was a godsend. I felt like a brand new person - almost human again and able to function so much better, although with limitations. Then I started having all the usual problems slowly coming back and getting worse. My body started getting used to the drug. Down the road, at the 6-9 month mark I am guessing, I was increased to the 60mg amount. Again, it was wonder drug - for about 4-5 months. Then my body got used to it.
I admit, I am probably not typical. Medication only seems to work for me for a while and then I seen to build up a resistance. Everyone reacts differently to every drug. It should be noted - my p/c advised me to take my Cymbalta @ bedtime to supposedly help me sleep (yeah, right), so I never experienced that "where am I" "out of it" feeling. I hope you all have good results - think positive thoughts & results.
I am hoping to have a good sleep (I am so tired) and not wake up from my achin' thigh....

Ivfrogs I haven't started the 60mg of Cymbalta because. . .I'm a little afraid. I reread the side effects and am hesitating. I did have mouth sores and still have unexplained itching that seems to come from deep within. Also, sleepiness is another side effect. . . I'm sleepy at different times during the day, and having more trouble sleeping at night, even though like Sassygram I do take it at bedtime. Have either one of you had more vivid dreams since being on the Cymbalta?

Ivfrogs I too feel that because there are so many symptoms for fibro, something else may be wrong in one part of the body (for instance lower back) that feels worse because of the fibromyalgia but is actually another problem. (arthritis, bursitis, stenosis, etc.)

If I have to courage to try the 60 mg I'll definitely let you know. It will probably be when I have one of those "can't bear it anymore" days.

Caterina,
I completely understand. If I had mouth sores and itching, I wouldn't be interested in upping the dose either. I have not had those symptoms on Cymbalta. I take mine at bedtime too, but often have trouble falling asleep. I am tired all the time and take a nap most days. I have very vivid dreams. Not sure if it's from Cymbalta or not, but I have them!!

and you are so right, who knows if new symptoms are from Fibro or something else. Can be very frustrating. I will let you know about my lumbar mri. probably will come back normal. As I sit here typing, my legs are killing me, my feet are tingling and my ankles ache so much and I haven't even been up very long yet. So who knows?

Yes, let me know. Hang in there!!!
Colleen

I take cymbalta 60 per day and it helps my depression. I have taken up to 120 a day and still would except for cost and it does not help my pain at all. Just my depression.
Debra

sassygram,
I didn't see your reply at first. So are you still on Cymbalta, 60mg? I feel like I should go up on mine but hate to do that too. I am on Gabapentin and whenever I have issues, they just up my medication. Anyway, I hope you all have as good a day as you can!

LearnFMnow,
The Cymbalta has helped my depression too but not the pain. Even the Gabapentin isn't working all that great now, that is why I had the lumbar MRI, they think something else might be going on. But my experience is that everything comes back normal or there is just a small problem.....so I don't think about it much anymore.

lvfrogs, I am not on Cymbalta anymore because, frankly it just stopped being effective for me. That seems to happen with any meds I take. I agree w' you about docs upping the meds. I am beginning to think they do that because they don't know what else to do for us. Fibro is so frustrating!

Hello sassygram,
Do you take anything else then? Any other meds? I know that happens to alot of people, where they just aren't effective anymore. That is why the doctors just up the doses but that always worries me. Upping the doses seems to up the side effects too!

I had been having horrible leg aches and pains, worse at night, that kept me from sleeping. My Dr says I have neuropathy, and possible restless leg syndrome. I had been taking requip, and it helped to some degree, but I still was lying awake at night going crazy with my legs. At one of my recent visits, I asked about increasing the Requip dosage, and he told me he had another med he wanted me to try. It is Neupro, a patch, and it's the best little patch in the world! My legs haven't bothered me at night since I put the first one on!! Ask about it - it can only help!!

I had the same exact issue....i went for 3 MRI's... all came back with a "buldging disc". I found out during my first spinal nerve block that my L5 disc was not buldging it was herniated. Due to that it caused excruciating pain where i could not walk along with shooting pain down the legs, tingling, numbness, etc. I am doing so much better with the 2 nerve blocks i have had. I am due for one more in November. It is amazing how i had taken advantage of the simple things in life like walking. But also know it could just be one of FM's wonderful effects that we get to live with! Are u taking any sort of muscle relaxers?

hugs, chris

tired42, thanks for your reply and I wish I had gotten it sooner! Just got back from my pain doctor visit. I have moderate spinal stinosis and lots of arthritis and a bulging disk. He wants to give me a lumbar epidural but I will ask him about that patch too because of my restless legs syndrome. I am so glad that it has helped you - wonderful, thanks so much!

and Christinejm - is a spinal nerve block similar to what I am getting in a few weeks? The lumbar epidural? I am so glad that you are doing better too. Yes, it's horrible not being able to walk, such a simple thing! I don't take muscle relaxers. I was on them for awhile but we decided to go ahead and take me off due to the fact they can be addicting. I don't want to take anything that is addicting if I can help it. ARe you on them? and what kind? I was on Soma/Carisoprodol. It did help me though.

My feet hurt so much in the AM that I don't want to get out of bed. Eventually the bladder pulls me out of bed. They hurt all the time. Hands and wrists too.
I have no answer, but you are not alone.

Littlemama,
What does your doctor tell you is the reason? Do they say?
I take Gabapentine for my peripheral neuropathy and it does help but not when I do alot of walking or any kind of exercise or standing. I am getting a shot in my back on October 30th. I pray that helps.
I hope today is a better day for you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders