Allergic to Neocate Jr.?

My 6 year old tried the elemental formula for on day. Started drinking at 9am - by 5:00 - he was violently ill with massive stomach cramps. He threw up all of the formula. I put him back on his limited diet and now is better. The doctor's are stumped at this - thinking he could be allergic to the chocolate flavor. Anyone have a reaction to the formula similar to this?

10 replies. Join the discussion

We did with elecare.Tried for 2 days and always a violent throw up followed. Tried Neocate and it has worked great for us. So yes, I believe you!

Does he have an allergy to corn? A majority of the elemental formulas have corn syrup solids in them.

My daughter had acute reactions to both Neocate Jr and Elecare, but tolerated Splash.

I will say that when I tried the powdered formulas myself, they made me incredibly nauseous, so it may just be his stomach having a hard time with the switch.

Also did you measure the formula with a gram scale rather than the scoop ? I have heard some kids react if the mix is just slightly too concentrated.

Wow - you guys are great..these are all good ideas and perhaps some of you are right. He won't drink the splash. I don't think that tastes bad. Thanks so much for your experiences. I am going to let the doctor know i'm not the only.
We may have to get a scale and switch formulas.

Absolutely there are some who have allergic rx to elemental formulas. DS also had violent reaction to Neocate, Jr. We switched to Splash (tropical and grape only) due to corn allergy. He tolerates fine. Also, he did not tolerate precisely measured Neocate, Jr. Check with your doc and nutritionist to get a diff mix of elemental formula. Good luck!

I got sick the same day I switched from Tropical to Chocolate. Other folks around me were sick with a stomach bug around the same time so I never did figure out if it was two separate things or the chocolate flavor.

My son got terrible cramps and diarrhea from mixing just a little bit of Neocate Jr. into his Nutramigen AA. He could not tolerate this formula either.

Hundreds of hives from Neocate Jr chocolate for my son. He is extremely allergic to coconut so that's what our dietitian ended up blaming it on. Funny how they call them "hypoallergenic" formulas, isn't it? I'm too scared to try the other flavors as they all have coconut oil in them.

@EDMOM - we have similar issues with coconut (and similar hesitance around coconut-derived elemental formula). fwiw my son has been doing really well with hemp milk + a very limited diet. Hemp milk has been a great alternative to formula for us: it is nutritionally rich but not complete nutrition so you do need to make sure that you provide any missing nutrients - e.g. protein - through food/supplements.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support APFED

Help the American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the American Partnership for Eosinophilic Disorders

Discussion topics

EOS Resources from APFED

More from APFED

APFED's Educational Webinar Series
"Answers from Experts"
Sponsored by EleCare®

APFED's Educational Webinar Series

Community leaders