Electrical impulses in the brain

That's the best way I can describe it. I'm 3 1/2 years removed from E and have noticed lately (past 3 months) a weird vibrating feeling in the brain every once in a while. It really feels like some kind of electrical impulse/shock. I notice it more when I am more tired. Anybody else experience anyting similar to this?
Thanks, Brian

24 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I get a weird sensation in my head. I find it very hard to describe. It's a bit like a cross between an adrenaline surge and a slight electric shock. It isn't painful, but it is annoying and it happens a lot more if I'm tired. It just happens randomly, but sudden noises trigger it and if I'm tired, even little noises like the click of a cumputer key can trigger it. The sensation only lasts for a moment, however when I'm feeling really tired or unwell, the surge can spread from not just my head, but also through my upper body.
There are so many strange sensations and residual problems with E. that trying to explain each one to a doctor would take forever and I believe that this is why so many of our symptoms are never addressed. It also doesn't help when you have symptoms such this that are intermittent, because of course you can pretty much guarantee that if a neuro runs tests to check your brain responses, your blasted brain won't comply on the day!
I'm just curious, what area of your brain showed scarring on the MRI images? (mine showed near the brain stem)

L. x

Interesting topic.......I get a "rush" feeling, it feels like electricity from my neck into my head, when I've been really busy and meditate (which I do once/day. late afternoon). It seems the more active or busy my brain feels, the more likely I am to feel this and it feels like it's getting rid of some of the "extra" electric activity. This happened even before I got HE.

If you haven't gotten an EEG, I would suggest that to learn more about these electrical impulses.

Occasionally when I'm laid in bed and just about to nod off I get what I can best describe as a "whole body whooomf", like someone's trying to restart my heart with those electric "cup" things in a hospital! Not painful at all but quite interesting. Neither is it particularly unpleasant. It's like something passes right through me - no warning, and only ever happens when I'm tired. Had these since before I can remember - they're very infrequent though, many months apart.

I once wondered if it was some cosmic particle whizzing through my body, but I can almost sense when it's about to happen - so I think it's a purely biological thing and nothing to do with neutrinos from a distant supernova. Saw a guy in my office "shudder" today which reminded me of it, but that's quite different - I shudder sometimes too, my mother used to as well, and always said "someone's just walked over my grave".

Back to the "whoomf" - I'm not sure what triggers it but it's interesting that other people have said it happens more when their body is at rest. I like the "discharge" idea - that some kind of "reset" button has just been pushed. I definitely feel more relaxed after it happens.

Paul in Tbilisi - I get that whoomf too, but unfortunately for me it happens over and over and over again, many times a day. So for me, it has become quite unpleasant and it's especially bad when it happens while I'm walking. (I fall down, unless something is nearby to hang on to.) Most frequently it occurs when I am on my back resting, though.

I am interested in talking with anyone who has these weird electrical current sensations in their body to find out if they were diagnosed. I started getting these in December 2010. In March, 2011, I had a full-blown episode that woke me up at 3 a.m. with a loud buzzing/droning noise at the back of my skull, along with a very loud BEEP-BEEP-BEEP. The beeping has faded to the background, but, I still hear the buzzing/droning--it sounds like a computer running. If I plug my ears, it sounds like a computer booting up inside of me. I feel these currents in my brain, heart, stomach, and skeletal frame.

Would be curious to know if any of you were ever on any anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, or anti-anxiety drugs or had been in the hospital a couple of months before this started.

This week I have been having it too! I told my husband that it feels like my brain is vibrating. The vibrating is in one location - the back of my head on the right side closer to my ear. I have left side damage to my brain from the encephalitis. I have having a hard time with the full moon this week, with a lot of brain pain & swelling in my throat and gums, so I thought this was just something else to add to my sensitivities. I have lots of lack of concentration. My eyes have been burning too, along with my left eye is droopy. But the vibrating thing is new. It concerns me to. The vibrating woke me up 2 nights ago, but no sounds.

Thank you for posting this - helps me in knowing I am not the only one experiencing this. I called my husband at work and told him, "something is happening in the encephalitis world, there are others experiencing vibrating".

I am wondering if it is caused by meds.

I have been trying to describe to my husband this exact same feeling that happens to me! He just didn't understand. But for me its at night when I'm trying to sleep! So that's very annoying. It's actually why I take Lorazepam at night to help those symptoms. But yeh, its not a nice feeling. Just reassuring to know that others have experienced this same feeling/symptom...whatever...

I feel more anxious and upset when this happens because something weird is going on in my body that I can't control. I also feel like it is frying my brain cells--I have been having memory lapses and I attribute it to this. The electric jolts to the heart were definitely not pleasant as they left my heart burning, racing, and palpitating.

I get kinda of a "staticy" feeling in my head and causes me to shake my head to "clear" itself. I also get these muscle twitches quite randomly mostly on my right side. Neurologist says to get a video of them, ha, so random and most often at night so no way to get a video.

My ears, particularly my left, rings so sharply that it hurts. Doc says nothing can be done. At times, it vibrates and it is akin to hearing a large truck gearing down coming down a hill. I not only hear it, I feel it to.

No answers, and no one seems interested either.

I have had EEGs--showed nothing. Next, I would like to have a MEG scan and a EROS done. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroimaging

Just for the record in my case I'm a carer so I haven't had E, nor do I take any medicines whatsoever.

Wow, surprised by the increased activity on this post. This sensation in my brain has since ceased. The only thing I can think of was that the previous year was incredibly stressful for me (mostly work related). Then, around August of last year my stress level went way down. Subsequently, these impulses/sensations begin around October. My theory is that my brain was "rewiring" itself, or re-connecting. Hopefully, it was a one time thing and a lower stress level can fend it off in the future. Best of luck to you all!!!

I have something similar TigerWiger.

I often think there's a blockage in wiring and neurons unable to communicate together smoothly.

Have you had either diagnosed or undiagnosed (you know you had it) Encephalitis? Are you taking any medication for this?
It sounds really bad from what you say.

stillsmall

Have you had encephalitis (are you a patient)? Not sure but what your Neuro is saying to you is "you have had encephalitis, it's no surprise that you get these things after E has been sorted out"?

If you had a viral/bacterial infection in your brain, there is bound to have a scarred tissue (either large or small) which may give rise to various Neurological issues. That's how I look at mine.

I had encephalitis many decades ago when I was 12. I still remember very clearly the moments before the seizures hit me, felt like part of my brain lit up white hot. Everyone at the time ignored my pleas for help. Ok so that was then. "Today", I have muscles jerks and tremors on my right side, and my neck/head. It is particularly with my head I often feel something "staticy" just before my head violently jerks. No one has any answers. An EEG did not pick up anything despite flashing lights triggering these muscle jerks. I have no answers and no one seems interested in sovling the mysteries.

My stomach is once again on "fire" and perpetual "heart-burn". Yeah, I'm having problems but this is the first time I have heard anyone else mention these "strange feelings in the head", similar to mine.

Yes, I know this feeling well. I am 3 yrs post E. When asked while I was hospitalized what my head felt like, I told the team of Docs in the room that It felt like things moving in my head. One replied that's impossible. Ugh...don't ask if you won't listen. Well, I still feel it at times especially when lying in bed. It also seems as if I can feel my brain and that my head feels really heavy when I am tired. I have pretty much quit telling anyone including Dr's this. I am on anti-depressants and anxiety medication as well as sleep meds. Personally, I see no relation to the meds, I have been on several different ones and the impulses are still there. I have just learned to deal with the sensations and try to ignore them.

At this very moment, my head feels like it is being compressed on all sides. The pressure hurts, sometimes gives me headaches, I get "jumpy/jittery". There are times I wonder if I should be out driving, I do ride a bike when weather permits. It is frustrating because Docs do not want to try and help figure these sensations out.

Maybe if all of us who have strange sensations in our heads showed up at one ER and complained, ???? but then they would probably turn around and say "Its all in your head"!!

Well,? It is isn't it?!!!!

When there is a full moon and solar flares my head becomes very heavy and there have been times when it felt like things were moving in my head. This is the first time that it felt like my brain was vibrating. I have also had the experience where I felt like I was in a different dimension. It was like I was there, but I was watching what was happening. My head was heavy, spacey and painful. At that time there was a Xclass solar flare - that was 2 weeks ago. There has a lot to be said for solar flares and the moon and how people feel - I know why the crazies come out during a full moon. The moon controls the tides and the solar flares emit radiation.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Encephalitis Global

Help Encephalitis Global reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Encephalitis Global

Discussion topics

Special Encephalitis Report

Free special report: I'm Not the Me I Remember: Fighting Encephalitis

Fighting Encephalitis

Community leaders