Vision changes throughout the day?

My vision seems to change easily when I transition from reading to looking up and around me. And there are times when I'm driving and I notice the exit signs are a bit blurred; other times, they're crisp and clear. Does anyone else have trouble with their vision changing throughout the day? I know the eye is made up of mostly collagen, so I'm assuming this is a normal part of EDS. Yes?

25 replies. Join the discussion

I have VEDS and I have noticed vision changes for years, although my eye exams are always fine. Slight changes, like you said looking up from reading, looking away from my computer etc. They blur, then clear up, sometimes I can see signs at quite a distance and other times I can barely see the plates on the car in front of me. I have never been given a reason for it, other then disassociation disorder, but I have been labelled with several mental disorders over the past 20 yrs so I don't know what it is VEDS or not.

Yes I have this!! It got really bad for a while... every time I rode in the car I would get blurry vision and Dr. F thought it was related to neck instability so I started wearing an aspen collar in the car. I would still get a little blurry vision, but not nearly as bad. I was also pregnant and know that hormones/increase in fluid probably could have increased all my symptoms. Since delivering I haven't had any more vision issues yet, but I still have been wearing the collar in the car.

I still have to get my eyes checked... I have a ton of floaters in my vision... looks like a mass of cells under a microscope.

I have been having the variable vision acuity for several years, sometimes my eyes are very dry (allergies?) and that affects my ability to focus both near and far - I wear contact lenses, had been wearing reading classes as well for about three years - I can't stand wearing glasses, sunglasses, readers, etc or hats, headbands, etc.; anything on my head or face gives me a headache -- then switched my contact lenses to monovisoin and didn't need the readers, now I find I do need them off and on... my vision is worse at night, and with the daylight decreasing now...
My eye exams are so long because my vision changes a lot during them !! I attribute it to perimenopause/menopause, but I really don't know what is going on...

This isn't EDS related, but just wanted to add that what you eat can profoundly affect your vision, especially dairy and sugar.
A chiropractor I went to last year challenged me to try removing all wheat, dairy and sugar from my diet for two weeks. (I ate mostly chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli and salad with avocado for those weeks.)
The first four days were the hardest. I felt so weak and tired. The morning of the fifth day, I noticed everything looked so crisp and clear. I didn't even need my glasses! And I felt wonderful! I had so much energy.
I didn't continue with the exclusion of wheat, dairy and sugar, but I did cut down. Now, whenever I'm having a particularly hard time with my blurry vision, I think about what I've been eating.
Sure enough, I'd been eating too much cheese or sweet stuff.

I have this problem too. It's really irritating. I have regular eye exams and was told my eyes are healthy with 20/10 vision, but I'm perplexed at the vision disturbances. Once I had an exam for new glasses with disturbances, and the doc said it wouldn't interfere, but it did and I ended up with the wrong prescription. Mine is attributed to my Dysautonomia as this causes a constant state of dehydration. I'm suppoed to put lubricating eye drops in 10 times a day, but a lot of the time this is hard as my eyes don't always feel dry. When I'm driving, sometimes I have to try to force myself to bring on tears in order to take the blurriness from my vision.

Another poster mentioned diet. I am gluten and dairy free by necessity and also eat very little sugar so I know this is not a contributing factor for me. But I have heard that an intolerance can make a difference. Hope you find something that helps with your disturbances.

Beth.

Hi Andrea,

Yes, I have the same as you described (problems with visual accomodation). I received reading glasses six months ago but other than that, a normal eye exam. I have blurriness after looking at something close by and then shifting to an object further away (and vise versa). Not consistent but episodes are increasing. I have a clinical diagnosis of vEDS, awaiting genetic testing. I have not yet been given a reason for the problem with visual accomodation (another thing that get brushed away by the physicians and I believe it is something they don't understand). I used to have floaters when I was younger but don't have them now. I hope this helps. Best of luck, Isabella.

Accommodative issues have nothing to do with acuity. It is the ability to adjust near to far and far to near. If you have an eye exam, try to have it soon after waking and do not read anything or tax the eyes beforehand, Sometimes common optometrists overlook this problem and will overprescribe corrective lenses. Many times there is also a teaming problem.

A behavioral optometrist is most familiar with this. It is troublesome enough to require an accommodation to schedule math classes earlier in the day because school work had an accumulative effect making it occur more as the day goes on. Many times a b. optometrist will say that they never see it occurring alone. That is what the an attending optometrist (teaching---his wife is a school psychologist) told me 4 years before her EDS dx. I had to call him to let him know what it was that was causing it. He prescribe vision therapy when he saw that she was not going to out grow it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_optometry
(I am acquainted with Stereo Sue)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_therapy

Opthamologists and optometrists don't see eye to eye on vision therapy; Opthamologists many times don't regard optometrists as 'real' doctors..... so you kind of got to keep that in mind.

My daughter did vision therapy and it worked. There was a big difference in her reading and ability to persist in math homework and make less errors. It's no fun to do but when prescribed for the right situation, it works.

By the way, some times washing the eyes out with Johnson's no-tears baby shampoo helps if there is dryness. It clears up the ducts at the edge of the eyelid.

I have it too & was glad you posted this question. I know that if you are dehydrated it will change your vision and I know you should NOT get lasik if you have EDS because of the connective tissues in the eye. Therefore, I would assume that those same connective tissues that run through our bodies and get over stretched, can, in a sense do that in our eyes and could cause strains just like hips, shoulders, etc.?

FYI -The Optometrist told me ...lasik w/ EDS - "It could go very very badly."

I have Sjogren's syndrome in addition to EDS and have very dry eyes. I can always see better after I use artificial tears. As someone else wrote, allergies can also cause dry eyes.

Artificial tears are available without a prescription. I never thought to use them until my ophthalmologist recommended them but they have been really helpful.

Good luck.

Thank you all for your postings. They're very helpful. I also have vEDS. I've heard that the EDS eye can change shape throughout the day, which I'm assuming can cause vision changes. Very frustrating, and it's getting worse as I get older and is impossible to get a proper prescription, esp. for the bifocals. I'll try scheduling eye exams for first thing in the a.m. before reading anything, and I'll look into vision therapy/exercises. (I have lots of floaters, too.)

Go figure.. this would be one of those things I didn't realize wasn't 'normal' .. along with.. daily joint pain.. who knew.. thought that was normal too! And other such.

My eyes take a moment to adjust, especially when stressed/tired. I also often get an eye twitch lately.

I have hypoglycemia, and I've been told that when your blood sugar drops the eyes take them most energy/brain power so they 'go' first, hence eyes blacking out when standing up is beginning step towards completely passing out..

I recently ordered prescription sunglasses (way too expensive but I need to drive); they are thin light plastic and very dark, but I can still see indoors even when it is fairly dark. I have bad myopia (nearsightedness) now with some farsightedness (presbyopia) beginning at age 52. The eye dilates and contracts using ligaments/muscles controlled by our nervous system. So, whatever makes your other body parts weak, tired, is going to do the same to your eyes. My new glasses control the amount of light coming in whether I am in full sun or dark night; they work so well I can even drive at night better with my sunglasses on. It gives me the most restful, best acuity vision I've had since I had to give up my gas permeable contacts. True, I do look like Arnold Schwartzenagger, but hey, it works for me. One day I had to wait outside a movie theater for my kid, it was pitch black, and everyone was kind of eyeing me, like who is this peculiar woman wearing her sunglasses at night?? Just an idea for those who are ready to shout their mutant EDS status to the world....

Also, I just found out from my genetic analysis and family history that my risk of macular denegeration is 4X normal, so I need to protect my eyes anyway from the sun.

I have this problem too, especially at nighttime, I find it hard to read as my eyes skip lines and blur. I found the problem was that I have a fairly significant astigmatism and one eye is near sighted while the other is far sighted. It was fairly easily corrected with glasses. Hope this helps!

I first looked into this issue almost ten years ago because my new eyeglasses were always so difficult to adjust to; I would have sworn the Rx was made up incorrectly if I hadn't known better. The only info I could find at that time was from an EDS forum in the UK, where others said they had the same problem due to their eyes not adjusting normally when shifting focus between distances. One person descibed it as keeping your eye muscles flexed in one position to compensate for EDS instabilty, just as you might with a hypermobile joint; then when you need to shift focus, the eye muscles tend to stay spasmed in that previous position and your vision becomes out of focus and blurry. That idea also explains why headaches from eyestrain are more common with EDS.

I still keep and use eyeglasses from years past depending on what my eyes decide to do on any particular day. I also try to avoid doing anything where I need to refocus my eyes between different focal distances frequently (no watching TV while working on the computer, no reading the newspaper while I'm driving anymore, etc.). It makes me glad that I'm not a student needing to shift focus between a blackboard and a paper on my desk. I know my eyes take a such looooong time to adjust from one field of vision to another that going to most optometrists and opthamologists is a battle - they never want to wait long enough for my eyes to adjust between the lens choices during the exam, until the results start to be so contradictory and nonsensical that they start to believe that EDS just may effect my vision (or that I am just crazy).

I have this too. Although my vision is almost perfect it always takes a while to re-focus which is frustrating, and at times I see better than others. The most helpful glasses I have have "anti-fatigue" lenses. I don't know how they work, but I can use them for close up and distance without any effort, which is great for watching TV while doing something with my hands (crocheting etc), and for driving, and shopping etc.

My son did vision training, and it made a huge difference, but he still has accommodation issues (he's now 19, and did the vision training when he was 9/10).

I have the issue as well... Ive read all your posts and I didnt see it mentioned so IM asking.... When you driving and have to look maybe ahead or to the side or at the dash for a second (just normal driving adjustments), do you also get a slight disorientation little surge... ? Not really a dizziness, but a "out of focus surge" of disorientation... I think Im extra sensitive to motion in cars, so sometimes my brain feels like Im still moving in the car when IM stopped at a stop sign or stop light. Its like my brain is delayed a bit to realize Ive stopped moving, This happens along with my eye focusing... Do you guys get this. Being in a grocery store bothers me too. I might post about that separately.
By the way, I got a special pair of glasses called Irlen lenses. For Irlen Syndrome - or Scotopic sensitivity syndrome... its sort of a dyslexia of the brain... mine is more light sensitivity... Im extremely sensitive to light... but also have issues reading and seeing the words differently due to the black and white constrast colors on the page. These glasses help. They are more difficult at night. IM getting a little lighter pair for night, but hopefully still work with the light issues. Tracey

Tracey - I have not experienced what you describe. It sounds like it would be worth talking to your doctor about that. Be extra careful driving if your reaction time seems compromised. Just be safe!

Tracey:
Yes, I think I know what you mean. Even as a kid I couldn't stand even gentle amusement parks rides because of the visual disorientation (the few times I did ride any, the family photos show me with my eyes squeezed shut). I also get the same sort of feeling from being jostled when going over speed bumps in parking lots, or when I am looking too far to the side with just my eyes and not turning my upper body (just as examples). I started wearing an Aspen cervical collar when driving on the advice of a neurologist, who said neck instability and presssure on the brain stem could be a factor, and it seems to help with many of my eye symptoms, although I have also had to learn to move my eyes slowly from one point of focus to another (very deliberate coordinated head/eye movements without any darting glances in the mirrors or whatever). I have also found that having a car with a back-up camera helps since I can focus on one point and get a 180 degree view behind me without having to twist to look over my shoulder (which I can't do in a cervical collar anyway) or move my focus between various mirrors. I still have some days when I wouldn't even consider driving though, and those have become more frequent over the years. Whenever I do drive, I'm what my family calls "hypervigilant" and attentive to how I am driving and using my eyes, hich makes me a terrible "backseat" driver when riding with my wife (much to her dismay).

Interestingly, I also have found it harder to read over the years due to the eye movements required (I think) and have had more trouble adjusting to that than to driving. Have you had any symptoms like that at all?

Andrea, Im safe, it doesnt get to the level of being unsafe... just annoying.. after 20 years of it I learned to adapt and realize when its bad enough not to drive. My eyes have checked out perfectly fine. I really think its a brain processing issue.

Riems,
Im wondering if I have neck instability too... I have issues with C4-C7 with degenerative discs... I bet it plays a role... especially since some days are better than others... I also get paresthesia... I too try not to do sudden moves either, I get all your saying. I do have issues with reading sometimes... hence the scotopic sensitivity syndrome (Irlen Syndrome) diagnosis... my tinted glasses (Irlen filters) seemed to help with that alot. Even with driving too, as well as in the grocery stores. It doesnt help with the focusing issues from looking up after doing something on my phone example.

FYI: if one has corrective lenses for visual acuity, bifocals can address issues with visual accommodation difficulties. The bottom lense script just corrects for the over correction of the top one ... Or vice versa. For example: if one is near sighted and has lenses to see further, then the lower lenses script would be more 'neutral' so that the eyes are not taxed even more when reading a book (near work). Without bifocals or taking off the glasses for near work, this situation exacerbates or brings on the accommodation difficulties. The more near/far switching and the more detailed the work, the bugger the 'invitation' for accommodation difficulties.

BTW: vision there can make one grow a headache or become nauseous ... It is now easy to get a 12 year old to do it 3x's a week. It is particularly difficult to do during the school year when there is home work to do also. BUT in my daughter's case, it was SO worth it. Because of it, some clinicians will wait until puberty because it us not too unusual and they might outgrow it. My recommendation would be to not wait. Academically, there is some pretty important stuff occurring in the 5/6th grades while work load increases. I think it is worthwhile enough to bother doing it. Besides it us easier to gain cooperation if the are younger. The only reason we 'missed' doing if a couple years earlier was because I thought her eye checkups could be handle more locally. She already had the bifocals and, while the local MD was quick to poo-poo the accommodation issue, after the exam he admitted 'that in this situation' bifocals might be necessary (it helped that the prescribing optometrist was head of a pediatric teaching department and reputable.... and actually quite conservative). This was several years before being Dx'd with EDSIII.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders