vagus nerves

Has anyone heard or read that the vagus nerves can be associated with esophageal spasms? Thanks

6 replies. Join the discussion

Yes! I think it goes along with dysautonomia, but I could be wrong. The vagus nerve gets compressed. I get them and its horrible. My MIL takes the pills that you put under your tongue for chest pain....nitrites, I think? She's only had to do it once or twice but she has them. I just ride it out.

I know, it's a shame that they haven't figured these spasms out.

Good informative article on the Vagus Nerve:
http://www.md-health.com/Vagus-Nerve.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting the link. Very interesting. Will do some more researching. Thanks Danno_59

I had severe esophageal spasms starting the spring of 1995. I learn the next year that they were due to eating potatoes and garlic. Not kidding, at all. I had gone through all sorts of testing and was on a acid reducer because it HAS to be GERD, right? (Even though they dropped HCL down my esophagus and could not reproduce the spasm).

I discovered it by paying attention to my diet and eliminating it and bring it reintroducing it. There was no doubt: I could stop of make it happen with those two foods.

I was tipped off by an alternative practitioner...... who I ignored until I wasn't given a solution from mainstream medicine. What made me listen was the 1995 Kelly et al small pedi study out of J Hopkins on kids with incurable GERD (worst cases) who were cured through elimination. Check it out.

Will do EhDoSomething Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders