shoulder surgery with cadaver tissue?

Today I saw my EDS doctor (Bradley TInkle) and my ortho and we've decided to do another shoulder surgery. They want to use cadaver tissue to tighten my shoulder capsule...Has anyone had any luck using cadaver tissue?

5 replies. Join the discussion

My knee surgeon used cadaver tissue to repair my MPFL last July. So far it seems like it has worked! My knee feels very stable and "tight"...but I'm told that what I feel is "tight" is actually considered "normal" :)

My shoulder surgeon has talked about using cadaver tissue, but as of right now we have opted out of that option because my shoulder repair doesn't need to be that extensive. However, she has also had good luck using cadaver tissue with her other EDS patients.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

I had a second acl ligament replacement in my right knee, (because the first surgeon did it wrong, according to the second surgeon), so I had to use cadaver tendon. (Normally they take a slice of the patellar tendon to use as the new acl, but since they had already done that in the first surgery, they couldn't take another slice). Anyway, that was almost 6 years ago and I have had no trouble whatsoever with the cadaver tissue. I don't really have an opinion on the "tightness", because at that point it was my 5th and 6th knee surgeries (I had both knees repaired at the same time), so I decided I was not going to exercise or stretch anymore. So it feels tight, but I do not do anything to stretch it or tax it, other than normal everyday walking around, etc.
This was before I accidently heard of EDS and looked it up to see what it was....and had an epiphany.

Linmin: You brought up something I forgot to add, so thanks for reminding me!!! My surgeons said that in EDS patients they prefer to use cadaver tissue vs. harvesting from the patient because if they use tissue from us, it will have the same collagen make-up and will more than likely quickly stretch out again. They also said that if they take tissue from EDS patients, it is one more spot where we have to heal, and since we already have issues with healing they prefer not to do that. I'm not sure if they are right, but it made a lot of sense to me when they explained it that way! I wonder if your first surgeon really did do the surgery wrong or if because it was your own tissue it just didn't work as well? Not that it matters now, but it's just a thought :)

It makes sense, but over time won't the cadaver tissue change over to "our" makeup? Otherwise wouldn't our bodies "reject" it? I mean, it is being supported by our blood and cells and stuff....I really don't know that much about it. It made sense to me at the time, too, though.
The first repair on that knee was 'wrong' because of where the surgeon attached the new tendon, not so much because of being stretched out or loose. It never worked right, even from the get-go; and had only been 4 or 5 years since it was done.
I had the acl on my other knee replaced when I was sixteen - way back in 1983. That was also my own patellar tendon. I have had multiple arthoscopies to clean up torn cartilidge in both knees. That knee is much "looser" than the right, but it was done so long ago; it has gone through 3 pregnancies, (by the way - I noticed both knees getting so much worse during and after being pregnant - the hormonal component, I guess), raising 3 small children, (lots of time on the floor, which I can't do at all anymore), and almost 30 years of normal wear and tear. My kids are 15, 16, and 18 now, so that part is easier! Anyway, you have to weigh it for yourself, and decide how you feel about the cadaver tendon. I didn't have any other option, and it felt like kind of a weird thing to do- but I was OK with it. Good Luck!

Naynay,

I just listened to a radio show last week with a woman named Ellen, a fellow EDSer, who has had MANY successful orthopedic surgeries using cadaver tissue (ligaments, mostly). She was in a wheelchair for four years, until she had surgeries with cadaver ligaments to replace her damaged/faulty ones! good luck! Sounds like it could be a successful surgery!

Unhinged

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders