Muscle relaxers

Does anyone know of any muscle relaxers that actually help, i have tried flexeril and robaxin but neither seem to help at all.

17 replies. Join the discussion

No, I haven't found any, and not only that, I'm allergic to most all of the ones I've tried.

See if you can be prescribed Baclofen — "Baclofen is used to treat muscle spasms caused by certain conditions (such as multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury/disease). It works by helping to relax the muscles." http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-8615-Baclofen+Oral.aspx?drugid=8615&drugnam e=Baclofen+Oral

It works for me, and has continued to work for me over a period of more than six months now. Notice, however, it works through a specific avenue, the spine—and it may not be right for you.

Mark, can you please specifically describe how baclofen has helped you? I have a gazillion muscle knots and baclofen didn't really seem to help me all that much. But I usually just took it once a day. Is that your dosage?

Thx,
dsal

Baclofen did nothing for me, Soma, worked great without making me sleepy, but they took that away because people were abusing it with opiates, and it actually works better with opiates, which to me that's the idea, for a drug to work, but they are afraid we might feel too good I guess.Flexeril makes me sleepy.

Hi--funny you should ask b/c I was just going to start a thread on this. I am in my third frozen shoulder flare (lucky me!) and got my MRI results back that showed "just frozen shoulder" plus some fluid that could be indicative of some autoimmune problems in there...not a huge surprise given that I also have an immune deficiency and that plus EDS = very high risk for autoimmune, plus I already have Hashimoto's hypothyroid.

Anyhoo, my surgeon and I mutually decided that PT is still the route to go, and no steroids for now b/c they will kick off my chronic shingles and, well, just aren't great unless absolutely needed. Well, my shoulder has been in terrible spasm which has been hindering my abilility to sleep, think, etc, much less make any progress in PT.

So when I was in PT the surgeon stuck his head in and asked how I was doing. I said my should was in terrible spasm still and I had tried muscle relaxant. He asked the PT if we should try dry needling or Valium, and then disappeared.

When I got home I surfed and found that Valium is the uber-muscle relaxant...and I had some prescribed by a neuro-otologist for my vertigo (it resets the vestibular system too!). So I took half a pill (the first and only time I took one I felt a bit loopy for over a day). I woke up and the spasm had subsided a LOT!!! It was amazing...I have taken 1/2 pill for 3 days now and every day is a bit better. The first night I also had to take Tramadol for the pain, but now I don't need that... And after 3 days of this I have almost full range of motion back when we could not get that with 8 weeks of PT alone!!! To be fair, my PT did a lot of deep tissue work that day and really mobilized my shoulder blade, so it was the combo of his work and the Valium, but his work only got me 15 degrees of movement; this morning I probably gained another 40 degrees on my own.

I am seeing my GP next week to get set up with a pain mgmt doctor as this shoulder thing will be chronic...Valium for spasms may be all I need. Whoo Hoo.
Thiathy

The geneticist who diagnosed me cautioned me not to take muscle relaxers during the day. His concern is that it could contribute to falling, which I do more often than most. It's probably my hypermobile ankles, and I don't need the surrounding joints and muscles any looser than they already are.

I use Baclofen (with caution) for spinal spasms and it help if you take it 3 times a day. It needs to be combined with manual manipulation of the spasm though. My trainer and hubby use one of those round foam rollers http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_127861 _-1__?N=619960634 across the muscles to help break up the knots. I cannot tolerate regular massage, but this feels amazing! Please be cautious when using muscle relaxers, as your muscles are all that are holding your joints together!

I have had luck with Zanaflex, a small dose 3x per day. It doesn't make me sleepy but loosens knots in my muscles and slows or stops the spasms w/in a short time after taking them.
I hope you find something that works for you :)

One pill a day of Baclofen doesn't mean much—what dosage, 10 or 20mg?

I'm supposed to be taking 10mg three times a day, with the option of taking 20mg at once when I think I need it. Because of consequent clumsiness, I'm taking 5mg twice during the day and the 20mg at night.

For me, it does what it says it does: "Baclofen is useful for the alleviation of signs and symptoms of spasticity..., particularly for the relief of flexor spasms and concomitant pain, clonus, and muscular rigidity." It relaxes my muscles, I don't jerk randomly, my muscles don't freeze up. I was waking up at night in peripheral cramping at the level of ten—in other words, I couldn't concentrate enough to stand up, much less manage to do anything but yell and shout.

Baclofen has a clear, day-to-day effect on my life. Flexeril didn't help me much except a single dose now and then, it stopped being effective with regular usage, and had more side effects than Baclofen. Zanaflex didn't help at all, either singularly or regularly. Baclofen's probably not a good relaxer/antispasmodic for everyone; but for those of us with problems resulting from spinal dysfunction, it may work well. If the others don't work, it may be worth trying.

I just put this in another post, but I use valium (on occasion) and tizanidine (zanaflex) and it seems to help. I get terrible ocular migraines and the valium doesn't work if something like that is brewing, but the tizanidine will help if I take it early enough. It also has helped me with neck and shoulder spasms.

I tried flexeril - knocked me out for two days at "homeopathic" dose.
Valium helped but left me feeling drugged and can cause memory problems.
Tried metaxalone at "homeopathic" dose, viola! notable reduction in spasticity. I just take it at bedtime, at first was overly floppy, hard to turn over in bed at night, limbs fell asleep if I stayed too long lying on them, but much less daytime fatigue. these have diminished over time.
seems what works for some doesn't work for others. if what you are taking isn't working, perhaps give another a try.

I agree, zanaflex worked wonders for me for a long time. I'd been on it 3 years. Recently tried baclofen and it made me sick and screwed up my sleep cycle something terrible

This is exactly what has happen in the past(preddiagnosed) when I've had any injuries. First thing they've done is scribe relaxants. Omg I feel like I'm literally falling apart, well now we know y. I have found tho that tizanadine for my migraines work well as a combo drug(multi purpose) and lorazapam scribed for anxiety is also a combo drug for me. My genetic counselor (seen once) said I/...we should def be on tier pain management

I seem to be extremely sensitive to meds often having a paradoxical reaction (opposite of what was intended). Flexeril dries me out severely making my dry eyes and mouth unmanageable. I just tried Baclofen at 10 mg x 3 daily. I could only take two max a day. While it worked to relax back muscles, it made me extremely dizzy, nauseous, and gave me a huge migraine. After several days, I became so jittery that I had trouble falling asleep even though I was very tired. Valium makes me hyper-active and jittery. I am thinking about trying zanaflex but I have to check it against some allergies I have had with other muscle-relaxants; I think I developed hives with soma. I would appreciate hearing about other experiences with these meds and if anyone has had the jittery problem.

I started out with baclofen 5 mg 3x a day. In the beginning it gave me some dizzyness and lowered BP when it just kicked in. Now I'm taking it for about 2 months and I'm at 10 mg 3x a day and now for me it really works! It doesn't do a LOT, but it helps me to keep my vertebrea in upper back and lower neck moving, or I can get them loose with a bit of massaging. I also have less first rib sun=bluxations or can mobilise them again. I do have some trouble when I forget to take the 2nd, so then stuff can cramp up again, but when I'm religious about it, I feel a lot better throughout the day!

Mari

Whooha, sorry about the sun=bloxations, no idea what those are;-)

I found that Soma was quite helpful when I used it back in 2003. I recently got a new script for it and it doesn't seem to be working as good as I remember it working in the past. The dosage is lower than before but even if I take two its as though I'm taking a sugar pill - not even a side effect that is typical of muscle relaxants. Its like my body just decided it didn't want to recognize that compound. I did have a gastric bypass which changes the way certain meds are absorbed, perhaps the absence of stomach acid is playing a role or the malabsorption is playing a role - I just don't know what is going on. I plan to ask for something new at my next appointment and I'll be sure to let you all know if anything starts working for me again.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders