Intermittent sudden onset of red checks and ears

Has anyone dealt with red, hot checks and ears? There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or for how long it will happen. It's not usually painful, just hot to the touch and the color will sometimes deepen to a purple hue. It will extend from the top of the cheekbones to just short of the angle of the jaw and the entire ears. Never touches chin area or nose and the heat and redness will often go away as suddenly as it appears. It happens no where else on the body.

37 replies. Join the discussion

Check out mast cell disease/syndrome to see if it makes any sense. Prettyill.com has lots of good info on EDS and mast cell involvement.

Thank you!

My children and I do this quite often, it is always just our ear though. I never thought anything of it, and it has never caused problems.

I had a reaction like that whenever I took prednisone--have you noticed if it happens when you take certain meds? I don't take prednisone any more because of the weird reaction, but when I was little I used to get so red that when I went to school, people asked me if I got into my mom's make-up and put lots of blush on!

Yes it sounds like the same thing but there is absolutely nothing in common when it happens and dr has no clue. Like I said other than appearance and the skin being hot to touch, like if you had been out in a winter wind except it happens inside, outside any time of day or night, suddenly comes than goes just as unexpectedly. Weird! I'll look up at the mast cell thing when I have more time on my hands. Thanks.

Me too. Speranza

I get facial flushing on my cheeks and my ears. When it happens, it feels like they are burning up with heat. Usually when I have overdone or having a flare.

my cheeks turn red as the first sign of my allergic reaction to a food/drink that i am consuming. when i feel my cheeks getting hot, i know that i have to stop eating/drinking.

My son was extremely hyperactive as a child, so we put him on a diet that removed chemicals from his diet (food coloring, preservatives, etc.). When he ate something that was not on his diet, his ears and cheeks would become very red and hot, and he would have a glazed look to his eyes, a reaction to something he had eaten or been exposed to somehow. It still happens to him occasionally (he is now 25), but it is not as obvious as when he was a child.

I used to get facial flushing all the time whenever I had an IBS flare-up. After seeing an allergy doctor, I learned that my red face was connected to food sensitivies including gluten. For me, certain foods create an inflammatory process. I'd recommend looking into allergies, especially food intolerances.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. He is set up to see an allergist this month.
Denise

This has happened to me since I was a child and I was told it is rosacea, but I don't have the pustules and pimples, just the flushing. I actually kind of like the feeling because it's not painful and it's been with me for so long. But I've never been able to determine what sets it off--sometimes seems like food, sometimes seems like weather, sometimes there's no apparent trigger. Now I just figure it's another weird EDS thing.

Evelyn66, this is exactly how my son is. It happens all the time in any place/condition. We have even noticed he can be outside, swimming, inside and he suddenly turns red and then without any changes it goes away. Frustrating, I am just glad that other than appearance and heat it causes him no other problems and as far as appearance of course he wishes it wasn't there. Maybe the allergist will come up with something.

It is the same with all of us. Nothing seems to cause it, it is completely random. Only the ears and it goes away as quickly as it starts. We are so used to it that we hardly notice unless someone points it out. We have many allergies, but it doesn't coincide with anything. Sometimes it is just one ear at a time! It does feel very hot. I figure it isn't anything serious and we don't stress about it.
Christina

I have also had this symptom in the past with no apparent cause. However, since being diagnosed with and treated for allergies, it has become very rare. I initially thought I may have lupus as it seemed to be like the "butterfly rash" they get across my cheeks and sometimes involving the nose. Many of us with EDS have multiple allergies, so I suspect this could indicate an allergy problem. It is interesting to hear of other EDSers with this symptom. I recognized this symptom before suspecting I have EDS. It would be interesting to know how many other EDSers get this and whether or not they also have allergies, or if some us have it without the allergies.

As another poster wrote, we had the same situation with our son. We noticed
the red cheeks and particularly the ears, without understanding why. An osteopathic
doctor requested that we put him on a very "clean, allergen-free" diet and to slowly reintroduce
him to foods that could cause him to have his frequent ear infections (this is what we originally
went for treatment for). He'd been on the diet for a month, when unbeknownst to us, a friend
gave him some "Red Hots" candy. We found out when his ears & cheeks turned red but worse
yet he developed wheals & itching all over his body. This lead us to finding out he was allergic to
red and yellow food dyes, something very hard to stay away from. He develops worse reactions
when exposed to the sun after eating them. We found that an extremely clean diet made the
allergy worse if he got even the smallest amounts of them. At 21, he decided to watch and only eat
small amounts at a time, avoid the sun and to take Benadryl if things get too bad.
Not all places test for dyes (just foods) so we never did get the official diagnosis but were able to
reproduce his symptoms, which made it pretty clear. Best of luck!

Thanks, It seems this is an opinion that keeps re-surfacing so he'll mention the redness to the allergist. Unfortunately my son became violently ill the last 2 days with the flu and hasn't been able to keep even water down, so he took some gravol not realizing this was one of the substances he wasn't suppose to take 48 hrs before his appointment. Now he is going to need to re-schedule tomorrow's appointment.

I get this even after insect bites(fire ants and mosquitoes). I do not get a reaction at the bite anymore, but will get heat induced urticaria or hives where I get hot. I have been plagued by the face feeling sunburned every time I lie down or go in the hot bath for 6 months now. I used to get it if I took tylenol, but now I cant seem to find out which food or trigger is the cause. Extremely frustrating. It also is frequently associated with face swelling. My mom gets bright re ears if she drinks wine. It has become a family joke on guessing how long it will take before her ears turn red. My son and I get it on the entire face after exercise and overdoing it. It usually freaks other people out because it is so red. My first son would get red eardrums after eating an allergen. ....fire engine red. This made it extremely difficult to know if he actually had an ear infection or just an allergic reaction. It would happen withing an hour of eating an allergen sometime.

Denise, Have you any results or answers from the allergist? I too have that problem. It just recently started a few months ago. Here's hoping your son is doing well

I get this too! Never thought anything of it - I always assumed everyone had a hot ear now and again. Just asked my boyfriend if he ever gets a hot ear and he's looking at me very strangely :-)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders