Has anyone tried Mobic for pain control?

My son will be going away to college in the next couple of weeks and his doctor just prescribed Mobic to help control his pain . Has anyone had success with this and are there any side effects to worry about?

11 replies. Join the discussion

My son has been on Mobic for about 6 months and it has helped control his pain. My son is taking it in liquid form since he is only 10 years old, the only side effect for him is stomach pain (not always but he does suffer from stomach issues too). What I had to do is adjust the Mobic myself and give him his prevacid a couple of hours before the Mobic. Hope this helps.

I love my mobic and noticed an immediate improvement in my joint pain (mostly knees and ankles) starting on day 2. I would fight my PCP tooth and nail if she ever tried to take it away from me. I time it to take it later in the day after I have already taken stomach meds for the day and so far *knock on wood* have not had any additional stomach issues from the mobic.

I have taken it, but I definitely had to take Prevacid along with it. I still sometimes use it for breakthru pain when my patch/other opiods aren't helping enough. It's really just an easy way to take an NSAID because you just take one per day instead of multiple doses of ibuprofen or naproxen sodium etc...

My Ortho Surgeon started me on Mobic (taking me off Naproxen) in May after my Total Knee Replacement. I had some minor stomach irritation and decided to stop taking it. WOW. I had no idea how much it was helping. So after speaking with the Doctor they started me on Prilosec along with taking it later in the day with food . No more stomach issues. I can really notice the difference in my joint pain if I do not take it. I just had arthoscopic surgery on my other knee a week ago. As with surgery, you need to stop taking any NSAID a week before surgery. Boy did I hurt. Again, when taken daily don't necessarily notice how great as there is still pain, but take it away - no thank you. I would say give it a try. Also with most teenagers, they are not great at taking pills let alone consistantly many times a day. So the one time a day dosage is more conducive to their lifestyle. Good luck.

Mobic is not pain medicine, it is an anti-inflammatory. It will only help you if you have inflammation in your joints. I have RA, and I take Mobic daily with food, and I have had no stomach problems.

I am on a generic version of Mobic - meloxicam, and work in manufacturing. I have not had any stomach problems myself, but I always make sure take it with food, or at least a glass of milk, to avoid any stomach irritation. Like Lizzerdh, I could tell when I fell off the Rx for a week. I hurt so badly it induced a migraine that put me down for 2 1/2 days. It doesn't help with my pain as much as I would hope, for it is still very much there in my neck and shoulders, but it does make it much more bearable. I take my doses 6 hours apart and put heat on every night at home, but that's because 99% of my pain is in my shoulders and neck and I'm a machine operator. ilovemykids2, I think your son will be just fine as long as he doesn't take it on a completely empty stomach. I wouldn't risk it. It is an anti-inflammatory so the swelling should go down somewhat to alleviate pressure on the nerves and muscles. My chiropractor has suggested ice when it's swollen and heat to help relax the muscles. It's worth a shot for when the pain gets really bad.

Hi! I have been taking Mobic for two weeks because I just left for college as well. If your son is living on campus like I am, tell him to fill in his RA about his condition. It could come in handy should an incident occur. If he is on a large campus like I am, It may be in his best interest to file a motion with the Office of Students with Disabilities. They have given me a special parking permit that allows me to park in the handicapped parking spots in faculty lots making my classes much easier to attend. The mobic is working well but with my level of pain its still a bother. Good luck to you both!

Thanks for the input, especially the RA idea. I'll mention it to him but he is a guy that doesn't think he needs to mention this stuff to everyone. He is on a large campus also and his first lass of the day is across campus about a mile away. He has chose to see if a bike would help him out. I'm not sure what his plans are when it snows but we'll deal with that when it happens. Thanks again.

Mobic was great - for a while. I am an Ultram lover and now they have a long acting version called Ryzolt. The best part is not stopping to take meds during the day. This med iss for pain and not for inflamation. Mobic worked for a while but I still had pain. I have discovered that there are different types of pain - muscle pain, joint pain and that oh so lovely nerve pain. I take Ultram/Ryzolt and does a pretty good job of covering the pain. I will add in Nuerotin twice daily on am and pm to cover the nerve pain from herniated cervical discs.

The mobic made my stomach upset and then the regime of meds for that was too much!

I have been on meloxicam (Mobic) for about a year and a half now, and it is helping. I had breast reduction surgery a year ago and had to stop the Mobic for 2 weeks prior, and golly I hurt and relized how much it really was doing. It does add to my hearburn, so I am now taking famotadine 20mg twice a day. This is OTC strength generic Pepcid, but I have a script from my doctor so it is a) cheaper and b) eligible for FSA (pre-tax) funds.

My rheumatologist yesterday due to increased pain, and she switched out my Cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) for metaxalone (Skelaxin), another muscle relaxer. We'll see how that goes.

I had been using tramadol (Ultram) when I got home from a long day at work, but have found that it gives me insomnia. The pain relief was not worth continual lack of sleep.

Years ago I was prescribed meloxicam (mobic) for joint pain that was thought to be inflammation (Ankylosing Spondylitis) pain. The pain was in my SI joints, and was not inflammatory, so it did very little for me. I also got freaked out when I read the warning label on it, as it is known as one of the more powerful anti-inflammatory drugs. However, if it had helped my pain significantly, I would have continued it. Anything that relieves pain, real agonizing EDS pain, is worth the risk. As with all anti-inflammatory meds... TAKE WITH FOOD!!! I would send your son off with some power bars, incase he ever misses breakfast, so he will be sure to take it properly! I hope it works!

Unhinged

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders