Ehlers Danlos and Tattoos

Hello everyone my name is Jacob I have Classical EDS, Very soft skin that comes along with easy cuts and bruising. I was wondering if i could get a Tattoo, would my skin be cut by the needle?

11 replies. Join the discussion

there are some old threads about just this issue, so maybe try a search for responses?

i also have eds and am covered with tattoos. i take longer to heal and need some touchups here and there .i bruise but it looks good after.just make sure that your artist has a light hand and that he or she does quality work!

mine was on my ankle and it took 4 months to heal

i got mine on my ribs and it was fine no worse than anyone elses. i healed normally no more pain than anyone else. and I have no only EDS but a nerve disorder called Autonomic neuropathy.

I have a tattoo and it turned out just fine, but I don't have Classical. My daughter, who is undiagnosed, but most likely HEDS, just got her 1st tattoo this weekend. So far so good, but one thing: the artist kept stretching her skin to create more of a "flat" surface when he was working on her. I think this affected the overall shape of her tattoo in some areas. She's planning on going back for some minor corrections in a few weeks. I would think with Classical, you would not want your artist to stretch your skin much while doing the tattoo.

I have H EDS but I do have soft skin, irregular scarring, and easy bruising. I have four small tattoos - one on the inside of my wrist, two on the top of my foot, and one low on one side of my stomach near my pelvis. It took me a little longer than the artists said to heal, but it wasn't the four month experience another poster had, luckily. The tattoos on the bone, the ones on my foot and wrist, took a few days or a week longer to heal and bruised worse than the one on the stomach (for a total time of 2-3ish weeks). When I did go to an artist who was rather heavy-handed for the ink on my wrist there was some unsightly bruising for about a week and a little more blood during the tattooing than might be exactly normal, but it was definitely not an anything to be concerned about, the artist just had to wipe the area a bit more frequently.

I hope this helps and good luck on the potential ink!

I have type 3 with TONS of classical overlap symptoms...I have 6 tatts and had no trouble with any of them...they did take a bit longer to heal, but beyond that, just fine :)

I have Hypermobile EDS & as one of the ladies mentioned, I did bleed more with my tats. I remember the artist commenting on it. My skin bruises easily & I scar when I heal. But my husband & I got a tat at the same time & I don't remember mine taking longer to heal. He acted like his hurt much worse, but he got his on his chest kinda over his heart. I got mine on my back at the top of my spine. Good luck. Get what u want where u want it, u have to live with it forever!

I did fine with my first two tattoos, both small and in color. My third tattoo was a disaster, and I think part of the reason is that it is a large tribal design. The heavy black lines and fill-in required a lot more needling than the colored fill-in does, and as a result, my skin scarred more and was left permanently upraised (keloidal scarring), causing the lines of the design to bleed together and ruin the tattoo :-(

You might try to find a tattoo artist willing to "test" your healing abilities by dry-needling (using the tattoo gun without ink). I have seen this recommended for people who are worried about whether they can take the pain to get a full tattoo, so I know some artists will do it. Explain a bit about EDS, and how it might affect your healing ability, and they should be even more willing to try it. No artist wants someone walking around with their art messed up! Have the artist dry needle a small patch of skin as if he were filling it in with color. The skin will still bleed and/or bruise just like a real tattoo, and you can watch to see how it heals, without risking a permanently disfigured mark on the skin.

I have five tattoos and classic eds. Mine have scarred, but it didn't disfigure the tats. They are raised, almost like braille tattoos, I can feel them. It has been 18 years for some of them and they do still itch sometimes. If I scratch them they raise up and sort of swell, but it goes down again. I did bleed very heavily but it didn't take very long to heal. I think we are each different and you are going to have to decide based on your own symptoms. I will say that I have wanted to have mine removed (personal issues) and no doctor will even consider it. They are completely permanent for us that scar and bleed badly!

I have, but I wish I hadn't...young and dumb! Your skin may well stretch more than others as you age, choose wisely, or better think if this will really be cool at 50. I am 34 and regret it and its nothing bad. Also, never get one you can't cover up, it can hinder job possibilities and a lot of bias exists...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders