Eat lemons to reduce bodily inflammation

I was reading posts on the Arthritis Inspire Forum and was just reminded that lemon turns alkaline in the body. The bottom line is that it's a good, natural way to lessen inflammation and there are so many creative ways to use lemons in one's diet.

14 replies. Join the discussion

I would just like to add a word that if anyone does start eating lemons regularly, remember to brush your teeth directly after doing so as the acid in lemons will erode the enamel on our teeth and we already have enough problems with our chompers.

That said, have you tried it, creakysusan, and how did it do for you?

I've not yet tried it but I am interested in trying this. It sounds like many people for whom the primary illness is arthritis have experienced benefit from using lemons in their daily cooking. Your comment about being sure to brush your teeth if the enamel has been exposed to lemon is certainly a good thing to remember. Also, in addition to ingesting lemons, I read the following from another source about use of lemon peel as an external poultice:

"Lemon peel relieves joint and nerve pain.
The fragrant volatile oils found in the peel help relax blood vessels and produce an anti-inflammatory effect, making them useful for joint and nerve pain. Grate the skin from 1 lemon, being careful to get only the yellow layer and none of the white pith underneath. Rub the grated peel into the affected body parts, and then wrap them with a bandage. Keep it in place for 1-2 hrs."

I find that poultices that relieve pain are invaluable and anything that can be added to one's warchest is great.

I last month I had a kidney stone from hell that I could not pass. It was stuck and lithotripsy did not work so I had to have it blasted with a laser with a cystoscope. When the stone was completely gone the urologist told me to take Theralith XR which is made from lemons because lemons have high amounts of citrate. The doctor told me that the citrate binds with calcium to keep from large kidney stones forming. I was also told to incorporate lemon into my diet as much as possible. That is not always easy so I decided to try Theralith XR which means that I have to take 4 pills a day. Two with breakfast and two for dinner. My though is that this herbal supplement is easier to take that sucking on lemons!! Just a thought.

Creakysusan: interesting. I've never heard that lemon peel was good for joint and nerve pain. At times my HEDS associated polyneuropathy pain can be more intense than the joint pain, and my meds don't touch it. And to think I throw away lemon peel all the time. I make a lot of recipes that call for lemon. I usually buy 5-10 pounds at a time, juice them, measure out by 1 Tblspn and freeze in ice cube trays. Then I can just grab the number of Tblspn cubes my recipe calls for. To think I have been throwing out all those peels. I just picked up 8 pounds of Meyer Lemons a couple days ago. Guess what I'm going to try with all those peels? I'll let you know how it does.

Slinkyone: I wonder if lemons would be as beneficial for gall stones as it is for kidney stones? Sorry to hear about your stone from hell. I really wonder if these types of things are more pronounced for us. Thanks for the info on the Theralith XR. That's one I haven't heard of before.

Learn something new every day and glad for it.

interesting ! back before dx with EDS I thought I had RA as it runs in my family, and during my research on natural treatments for RA and joint inflammation I read that citrus fruits should be avoided, as should nightshades, as they might increase inflammation... which saddened me as I enjoy citrus fruits so much, especially in New England winters. I also learned that the grapefruit I love interacts with certain thyroid medications, so I stopped eating them...
Then I became interested in Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine) when I began to go deeper into my yoga studies and learned that for certain body/mind types citrus is beneficial, especially for inflammation. I noted this contradiction. Ama is toxic waste that can accumulate in the body, especially when allergies or sensitivities are present, or other reasons for malabsorption, that can be managed by several means, one of which is to sip warm lemon water prior to and with each meal.
Then I was diagnosed with EDS and learned that vit C is beneficial to maintain healthy collagen and I now enjoy an orange with breakfast and for an evening snack.

I've posted on this site before that I use something called Amazing Pain- less cream (available at amazingpain-less.com) It has lemon, orange and grapefruit peel extract as some of the ingredients, as well as tea tree oil, arnica and other goodies. The stuff really is amazing for pain. Thanks creakysusan for making sense of this.

Eccentric: Thank you for posting this because even though you've said you mentioned it before on this site, it is new to me and looks very promising. I've tried all kinds of rubs and while they help a little, so far none has done the trick. This Amazing Pain-Less is that good? Does it take the pain completely away or just take the edge off? I plan on trying it none-the-less, but am curious as to what to expect. Thanks.

I hear brushing one's teeth straightaway after eating acidic food like lemon would lead to a rapid erosion.

Omega36, I agree...
I asked my dentist that same question due to the noticable and deep lateral "scarring" of my tooth enamel on my front teeth; only on the lower 2/3 of the teeth. The dentist questioned me at length re: my eating/drinking habits, usage of antibiotics, etc. I shared that I drink lemon water each morning and was worried about too much acid - the dentist told me NOT to brush my teeth after drinking my morning lemon water; rather to brush first and then drink the lemon water, which he had no problem with my drinking.

(the tooth scarring might have been from frequent use of tetracycline (sp?) as theorized by my dentist, but it appears to me that the enamel damage was from sleeping with my mouth open back in the 80's when I had chronic sinus infections/bronchitis; chronic to the point of being on antibiotics for months on end. my upper lip would stick to my front teeth from the dryness of my mucus membranes, and a humidifier didn't help. you can nearly see through my front teeth, they are "opalescent". )

EhDoSomething: I'm like you - can and do drink pure lemon juice straight up without a problem. When I was younger, I also used to eat onions like apples. Both made my husband shudder when we first met. LOL.

omega36 & yogateach: how interesting as my old dentist told me to make sure to brush right after eating lemons. I have a new dentist now, so I'll have to ask him.

BethJordan, the Amazing Pain-less cream is great, and I've tried several different kinds. My hands have become arthritic on top of the EDS pain. The cream usually stops the pain within 10 minutes or so. If it's really bad I'll do a second application. I have a small tear on the tendon in my right shoulder - ow! The cream takes care of it. I have sciatica from sitting in my wheelchair so much. I apply the cream to my ass every night and it really helps. When my ankles start screaming I use the cream. You get the drift. If I'm having deep joint pain In my hip the cream does nothing. Sorry.

The trick is to massage it in as they say. Let me know if you like it!

Eccentric: please see the new thread I started called Amazing Pain-Less Cream review. Thanks.

Eccentric,

Thanks for the recommendation of Amazing Pain-Less Cream. Following your suggestion, I bought it and am a fan, much as you. Who knew? I'm using it for arthritic hands and painful shoulders/upper back. It works on both counts! I haven't tried it yet in other areas of the body but will focus on such in the future.

This is very interesting. I am allergic to citrus and onions. Malic acid helps my stomach pain and lysine puts the balance back....kinda....hmmmm very interesting! So very much is unknown about this world of EDS.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders