Do you metabolize non-pain medications faster than normal?

I know that EDSers metabolize pain medication faster than non-EDSers, but what about other medications? Does anyone have to take higher than normal dosages for other medications?

10 replies. Join the discussion

I am not aware that it has been established with certainty that ALL with EDS metabolize pain medications, or this medication vs that medication, faster than others, so I cannot generalize.

For me, it's not so much that I definitely metabolize pain medications (or medications in general) faster - more that they can have unpredictable effects on me. So, some don't work at all, some I need more of, some I need less of, some have weird side effects, and some affect me totally normally.

Whoops, was going to reply in detail but I see this thread is open to the public, so I'll generalize instead...

Basically, I'm much like theholla. For non-pain medications, some stuff wears off fast, other stuff I can only take half a dose of. So far, everything I've taken that's notorious for common and awful side effects is tolerated by me perfectly with no problems, while stuff generally considered non-problematic often causes me some horrid obscure issue.

Strangely, my prescription pain meds are actually the only meds that DO work just the way they're supposed to! Go figure...

I'm similar to bendygecko and thehoola...some meds (including pain meds) I metabolize faster, some I metabolize much slower, some I get weird side-effects from, and others don't seem to work at all!! Most meds I actually take a much smaller dose of because I tend to metabolize them slower than what's considered normal. Thankfully I have a great pharmacist who can typically figure out what the correct dose for me will be!

I am similar to the others. Pain meds seem to go very fast, morphine does nothing. Novacaine does not work at all, but others cause bad side effects. Sudafed puts me into a zombie state, and benadryl does not make me sleepy. I have a lot of allergic reactions to antibiotics, almost all of them, but I don't know if that is EDS or just my family.

I think everyone metabolizes differently. For instance if my daughter takes gerd meds other than simple tums she gets no relief but gets severe lower abdominal pain. She gets no relief form any type of pain med in tablet or capsule form but liquids or iv work but the iv meds really cause her to have a lot of side effects. She can only take tylenol or products that will not affect her platelets so we have to be very careful. We both have to have more novacaine than most normal people. I have begun really working with her med dosasges so that she takes the lowest amount that works for her. Hopefully this will help her to be able to take some of them longer.

I will say that the majority of meds I need to be maxed out on. There's only three that I've ever had any side effects from. The rest(non pain meds and pain meds) have little to no effect.

Normal doses of pain medications have NO effect on me, or on my pain. I have been this way since I was a child. I would drive surgeons crazy when I was younger, because I would refuse, or not take the pain meds after surgeries. They didn't do a thing for my pain. Now, years later, I have to take higher than normal doses to get any effect. Doesn't seem to be the case with other classes of meds.

Unhinged

I am deficient in an enzyme responsible for metabolizing pretty much all drugs LOL, I forget if it was CYP2C6 or CYP2C19, I'll have to check. In any event I have found out the hard way which drugs I can and under no circumstances should ever be given (i.e. Versed and pretty much all anxiety & migraine/anti seizre medications). I take 80 mg of protonix every day otherwise I would not be able to eat due to the reflux burning and causing swelling in my esophagus, and am currently on 45 mg Adderall a day for my ADHD, although I feel I could go to 60, but I am waiting it out especially where Aderall is a pain to get right now.

I can't metabolize CYP2D6 either!!! I am missing one of the enzymes and the other one I have is "inactive"...so I know what you mean about having to be extra careful with meds. Before we knew I had this, I was prescribed a med and, in a matter of days, ended up "overdosing" on the smallest dose prescribed. That's when they did the testing and figured out the CYP2D6 thing.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders