Do you have Valves in your veins too?

The veins in my hands, arms and shoulders are very visible because of my translucent skin. Every quarter to half inch along every vein there is a pronounced bump which I have been told are valves. I was told the valves, which BTW makes starting an IV really difficult, develop to maintain the circumference of the vein because the EDS process is stripping out the lining of my veins. To go a step further, a little over a year ago, I had 2 strokes and a pulmonary embolism. These were not the weak spot giving way type of strokes but rather the kind that come from clots forming and blocking the flow of blood to parts of the brain and to parts of the lung. I was told that this was frrom the same sort of sludge coming from the vein stripping from the EDS. I have not read of this anywhere. Does anyone else have the same valves and been given the same explanation of EDS stripping the lining of the veins?

7 replies. Join the discussion

There are valves to push the blood towards the heart where it needs to go. Varicose veins happen when the valve stops working correctly.

Google "image valve in vein" for pictures of this - I couldn't get a short URL.
Tracy

I did look up the reference for "image valve in veins". I do understand what valves are supposed to do. I understand that valves are normal. But I don't think they are supposed to stand out and make drawing blood and starting IV's such a nightmare. I am starting to think that the story they gave me about EDS stripping my veins is a bunch of crap, pardon my language. Except I have heard it now from 2 separate doctors. And then all the story about this sludge causing my strokes and PE???

Although my daughter has not been diagnosed with EDS yet (her appointment is next month), she has a similar problem. We have been told numerous times her veins are very "valvy". The structure of her veins has caused countless sticks from all levels of iv teams at Texas Children's hospital on numerous occasions. Last month, her doctor ordered a thrombosis panel to determine if her blood is clotting abnormally. The lab draw took 7 sticks to get 3 vials of blood. The lab techs felt so bad, but we tried to tell them this was "normal".

Since I have EDS hypermobility and Factor V Leiden and her older sister is MTHFR homozygous C677T, I suspect my daughter will definitely have some sort of clotting disorder.

So, I can definitely relate to what you are going through, and I am so sorry. I hope you can find out the underlying cause for your clots.

Thank you. I am so sorry for your daughter. I am grown, OK, I am old, and I don't like all those sticks. It's so much harder for a child to understand why they have to go through all this. I am now on Coumadin on an on-going basis as an effort to prevent further strokes or emboli. It's OK, a bit of a hassle when I get ready to have surgery as we all know, comes too often.The surgeons don't like to cut on people who have EDS plus are on blood-thinners. But we have already weathered it through 2 surgeries since then. So it's not so bad. Boy do I bleed and bruise now though! So much we don't understand yet. It's just amazing!

I have the vaules, I also have had two strokes but there were herrheragic. my docter believes I have vasclar form on top of my HERDS. EDS still has more to it than what is known today, so maybe these coming years we will have more information.

I think your doctors are referring to the endothelial lining. http://thinkccsvi.com/2012/02/03/basics-of-chronic-venous-insufficiency-par t-2/
I'm also looking into all of this because I have blocked jugulars and I think it's what's making my head so sick.
Part one is also good to read. Most of the info out there is in the MS world.

Dear llannon, The reference you give is full of information. I don't think I understand it all but it has so much in it. I will look at it again and also look at Part One too as you suggest. Interesting to be finding material through the MS world!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders