Clothes

I'm trying to decide comfort or look cute and trendy. I'm most comfortable in my tennis shoes , track pants and a tshirt. But this isn't very cute or attractive but honestly my "cute" clothes are uncomfortable and dress shoes or flip flops are a joke. It takes so much energy some days to get dressed and ready...Anyone else feel like this?

9 replies. Join the discussion

Hi there,
I have two children with EDS type 3 and they both struggle with these issues too. As children, they can get away with a little more and I just bear the comments at formal functions but here goes for us:
casual but more dressy then track pants we wear free flowing cotton skirts and coordinating tops or rayon material soft and comfy with some sort of sandal that has a cushioned insole we got ours at Target and Dr Scholls make some too hope this helps :) completely understand the discomfort of clothing. My son has a more difficult time since he has sensory issues as well so buttons, zippers and tags drive him crazy ahhhhhh! As he is getting older it has become more difficult to find these types of clothes but Hanes underwear and comfort tees is a start lol! Stay well!
Erin

Yes, comfort is our priority, too. I buy second hand tees because they are softer. And my daughter buys "dress flip flops" with the sequins for piano recitals! I have been following the "running barefoot" vs. huge running shoes with some amusement and curiosity.

I really would love some ideas for bras, wires kill us and we get skin breakdown from sports bras. Anyone have some soft comfy ideas for the larger sized women? How we envy those of you who can wear tanks with shelf bras.

Yes for bras, I'm larger on top. And lane Bryant sells a bra that has no underwire wth padded cups that is awesome. It works better than my old underwire and is super duper comfortable!! Love it!!! It was like $40 but well worth the $$$

Oh, thanks, and they are on sale right now, too!!

I rarely dress up been long time that I have gone to the mall. Now I don't enjoy it!!!! I have few stores that I get in & out no more than 30 minutes of trying clothes on or will flare my pain up in my arms. So when I do have to dress up, the only shoes that I can wear for a long period of time is YELLOW BOX. They have different styles but the style that is most comfortable on my feet is ones that don't have a heel or thin bottoms. The thick bottoms give the best cushion. I even wear them around the house. But I always get compliments from strangers when I'm out. They have really cute shoes. My friend bought a pair at DSW shoe store. As for bras, I wear a bra that's for night time for breastfeeding. They don't have wire or hooks in the back. I will put 2 on at the same time if I need the extra support. I bought them at a maternity store when I was pregnant but I still wear them 4 years later. But they are the only one that doesn't put my pain out of control!!!!! But if I'm home, indont wear anything!! I was diagnosed with EDS III & thoracic outlet syndrome, it's compression on nerves down my arms.

Also I have big bust 36 f. I'm very jealous of small boobs!!! But wearing the maternity bras two of them at once really holds them up . Lot less pain.

I'm with you on the stretch skirts! I have a whole pile of them and add to the collection anytime I find them. I would even consider buying the fabric and having a local seamstress stitch them up for me just so I can have more colors. I've paid anywhere from $6 to $20 each for them, so they're always a bargain. They can go from day to night, any time I want. Just add bling or not, make it whatever length is appropriate.

I seldom wear anything that doesn't stretch. That doesn't have to mean gym clothes. Spandex is your friend. Weight doesn't matter. If you're heavier, just buy a heavier fabric with spandex in it so it will hang better. If you're skinny, buy it slinkier. If you think you're too old for it, you're wrong. You can get it all cottony or all sparkly without losing the stretch. I take the tags out before I wear it, and pass on anything with that nasty non-stretch invisible thread in it. It moves when you move, no strain against your skin or your joints.

Done this way, you have the bottoms and they last well, all you have to shop for is tops and accessories - and you can pick any price point or style that makes you happy. You could literally go from a snowball fight to the beach to work to a nightclub all in that same skirt. It packs flat if your travel, and I've never had to iron one yet. Don't get me wrong - I've got plenty of yoga pants and bike shorts. They just don't suit every situation, where a skirt and top will work almost anywhere in any situation.

Hi there, I know what you mean. I have always been into fashion, but as I got HM-EDSIII, the pain in my legs and butt is very sensitive to certain types of material. I used to be on a designer jean forum and have about 18 pairs in my closet, but cant wear them right now due to sensitivity.
I think you can still wear nice clothes though, dresses are easy, especially in summer, sundresses are so comfy. I bought these Clark Artisian sandals as I have foot pain, and the foot bed is very supportive and cushiony like walking on clouds, they have a flower on the top.. pretty shoes not old lady shoes.
I have skirts, my favorite shop is Ann Taylor Loft, and also cargo pants. If I dont want clingy stuff sometimes I will buy a size bigger. You can wear lovely tops, skirts, dresses, and comfortable pants. I dont go to the mall much anymore, cant do all of the standing, I buy online, and find it more fun any way, it is like getting a gift everytime a package comes in the mail. :-)
Much of the time, the selection on line for clothes is pretty good and if you know your size I find it is the way to go.

Hi there, I know what you mean. I have always been into fashion, but as I got HM-EDSIII, the pain in my legs and butt is very sensitive to certain types of material. I used to be on a designer jean forum and have about 18 pairs in my closet, but cant wear them right now due to sensitivity.
I think you can still wear nice clothes though, dresses are easy, especially in summer, sundresses are so comfy. I bought these Clark Artisian sandals as I have foot pain, and the foot bed is very supportive and cushiony like walking on clouds, they have a flower on the top.. pretty shoes not old lady shoes.
I have skirts, my favorite shop is Ann Taylor Loft, and also cargo pants. If I dont want clingy stuff sometimes I will buy a size bigger. You can wear lovely tops, skirts, dresses, and comfortable pants. I dont go to the mall much anymore, cant do all of the standing, I buy online, and find it more fun any way, it is like getting a gift everytime a package comes in the mail. :-)
Much of the time, the selection on line for clothes is pretty good and if you know your size I find it is the way to go.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders