Are my lungs hypermobile too?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone else noticed that if they get a cough or chest infection, their lungs seem to have to work extra hard at coughing? The infection symptoms seem to last twice as long as non EDS people. I cough SO much yet it's non productive and so my lungs don't seem to be able to cope with getting better.
To add insult to injury, I've also managed to 'pop' a rib and my voice gets croaky in no time at all. I'm completely drained and exhausted.
Thanks for reading this!

DevonBlue

42 replies. Join the discussion

HEDS causes a higher risk for upper respiratory tract infections, causing bacterial and viral infections in the lungs and upper respiratory system. Collagen gives strength and elasticity to connective tissues such as the skin, tendons, organ walls, cartilage, and blood vessels, so why WOULDN'T HEDS affect the lungs?

Mari,

Your story sounds so familiar. I was diagnosed with asthma for about 20 years. Used every inhaler out there, took singulaire, just about everything, but I still continued to wheeze and was constantly getting severe lung infections that would knock me out for weeks to months. Several years ago, saw a pulmonologist who did a metacholine challenge to determine if I truly had asthma, and it was negative - no asthma. Stopped all meds. Still continued to get infections that took forever to clear, and because I had been on multiple types of antibiotics, most did not work or gave me severe stomach problems, once resulting in ulcers. I finally, about 3 years ago, saw another pulmonologist who ordered a high resolution CT scan of my lungs, and I was then diagnosed with bronchiectasis. This can be related to EDS. There was a report put out by the American Thoracic Society re the state of lung diseases in 2010 and under bronchiectasis they listed EDS as a possible cause. Anyway, it would be important to find out for sure that you do not have bronchiectasis because with each infection more damage is done to your lungs, and the damage is permanent. Everytime I start to get an infection, at the earliest sign, I call my pulmonologist and he orders one of the antibiotics I can still take by mouth. I usually end up taking them for at least a month even when I catch it early. The severity has slowly developed over the years. After multiple life style changes including diet and avoidance of dust etc., I get fewer infections but I always get one in Feb/Mar every year that puts me out of commission for at least 3 months. I just don't recover as when I was younger.
Anyway, best to everyone w/ lung issues. It's one of my main issues and unfortunately does not get diagnosed very often. The only way is by the high resolution CT.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support EDNF

Help the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Discussion topics

Community leaders