vegas nerve

Hi,I went into hospital on the 3rd of november 2009 to have my gallbladder removed. I am now fed by a nasal gastric tube until a PEG is fitted in a couple of weeks. The diagnosis is severe maldistribution of food and severe gastroparesis. Apparently the surgeon cut the vegas nerve. In doing so he has changed my life and i am strugglig in coming to terms with this problem. There is also a problem with my small bowel which is still under investigation. Does anyone else have the same problem as me

Edited January 3, 2010 at 3:40 pm

1 reply. Join the discussion

Hi Charliechops,
It has been 17 months since my surgery for GERD. Since the surgery I have suffered with severe gastroparesis and dumping syndrome. I was told this was a complication of the surgery and of course the complication would be damage to the nerve. The doctors can not cure it, their only hope is to help me manage the problem. I go in for a botox injection into the stomach which relaxes the muscle that opens into the intestines. This I do every 3 or 4 months. I asked if I needed to do this forever and the doctor said, "Sometimes it gets better". As for the botox injections, they do not last long enough. I get a month or two of relief and then the symptoms start again. It takes 3 weeks to feel any relief after the injection. I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it.
I have not been able to go out for dinner or visit friends, especially in the evening for 17 months.
The doctors don't even address the dumping, so that's another problem I have to deal with.
Everyone's system is different, so hopefully, the doctors will be able to treat you with more success than with me.
If I can be of help to you in any way, please let me know.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders