gastro paresis

my 30 yr old daughter who has type 1 diabetes (20 yrs)now has gastro paresis, for about a year now. she is miserable, can't eat much, always nausea and vomitting. i read she needs a low residue diet, does anyone know what that means or know any suggestions on foods to eat??

4 replies. Join the discussion

i have gastritis and maybe gastroparesis (nobody will do a colonscopy on me), but anyway, there is a post on here for it. I know instant potatoes are good for me, when i'm having a flare up. the only thing i can take to make things move along, so to speak, is Colace, b/c my kidneys are going poopy (ha,ha little funny there)......if you have trouble finding it, check in Groups in Digestive Disorders and i'm sure you will find a wealth of info

oops, my bad, you are already here (sorry long day, change in meds) .... use the 'find it' option at the top of the page.

Hi, Monna. A low residue diet is generally what is recommended, if food can be tolerated. I would suggest checking out the AGMD GI Motility Disorders Support Community (another group on Inspire). Lots of people there have gastroparesis (including myself), and there have been a lot of discussions regarding diet, medications, etc. The people tend to be very supportive and have a lot of good advice. Good luck!

Kate

The book Diabetes Solution by Richard Bernstein MD has a chapter (very substantial) on GP. Dr. Bernstein himself is a type 1 diabetic. The book could be very helpful -- a great reference. I read it several years ago and keep it as a reference.

take care.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders