feeling like something is stuck in throat

Has anyone had problem where they feel something is always in their throat? I have this feeling for several months then it goes away and comes back. I had a upper endoscopy done which came back ok. The Dr sent me to an ENT dr and he did not think it was related to anything with ears/nose/throat. I tried antacids thinking is was related to reflux but that did not help. if anyone had or has the same syptoms and can help please let me know.

18 replies. Join the discussion

I have had the same problem for years...had 5 endoscopies...found nothing...but a NP at my primary care office suggested it might be esophageal spasms. Don't know if this helps but I will be asking my GI about it the next time I see him...Does yours get worse when you try to take a gulp of liquid? Have you noticed a difference if its, hot/cold liquid or solids? Hope you are feeling better soin...:-)

Thanks for your feedback. I wake up with the feeling it seems to stay the same all day if I eat, drink etc. If I cough I feel like something flaps its really weird. What do you do to help the feeling??

Nothing to do...it comes and goes so I just try to ognore it...wish I had betternews for you...you should ask your internist or GI to see if it is spasms or something else...:-)

LIke Clecook said it definitely could be spasms. I have had ebbs and flows through the years and found it related to my GI system. I am in the process of checking my motility and other possibilities. I hope you get relief.-Jon

Can you swallow ok? I had food getting stck and they had to dilate my esphogaus! Now i am 100%

Thank you all for the responses. I had the endoscopy done in November and all looked good. I never suffered from stomach issues though I had a sub-total colectomy in Jan 2012. It seems to come and go thinking it is an allergy of some sort. I have never had allergies in my life but you never know. Mr. dr. gave me acid reflux medication but it does not help at all. I do not have a problem eating or swallowing its just a weird feeling at the bottom of my throat where it just feels like something is there. But thanks again to anyone that responded.

Not sure if I have Gerd Or LPR seem to be going around in circles with ENT maybe should see a different doctor.Anyone know of a good ENT and /Or Gastro in the Bradenton/Sarasota Fl area???

i had this so bad i landed in the er - round and round with docs- i was put on dexilant 60mg daily (like nexium but better), it is also better when i eat well .... another thing consuder getting u thyroid checked...they will tell u no, but it could be a little enlarged or a thyroid nodule

It's a good idea to check out the size of the esophagus-it can be widened as stlucia said. Also, my protonix helped me-I had trouble with oemprazole. I take it 1 hour before I eat breakfast and I take a gas-x before bed.

I get the feeling that my throat is swollen and its hard to swallow. My ears would be full of pressure and hurt too. Turned out to be swollen salivary glands. Have you had a CT scan of your throat and neck? That might be helpful in figuring this out. Good luck. :)

snowbear, I don't know if your asking me the queastion,
but no I never had a CT scan of my throat.
I had a endoscopy, and was told I have GERD.

Yeh, I had the feeling of food stuck in my throat!
I scared me so #$@%&×+! bad I made myself vomit for 6 months!
True story!

The sensation that you have a lump in your throat may actually be one of the symptoms of Ehler's Danlos. Also it may be a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea. A mueller endoscopy can determine the % blockage of your pharynx. I have OBS and may have EDS too. I often feel like something is stuck in my throat. My vela-pharynx is obstructed 90%.

Thank you wnorm for this information.
I alway wondered if I have sleep apnea.
I had a endoscopy, but it wasn't a meuller endoscopy,
what is a meuller endoscopy?, I just had the regular endoscopy.
They said I have GERD. and maybe I still have a hiatal hernia.
Besides the constant lump in my throat I am constantly clearing my throat.
Now when I feel like food is stuck, I know better and do not panic and make myself
vomit and more, I just wait till the the feeling passes.

bird22
Have you found any answers yet as to why you
feel like something is always stuck in your throat.
Sorry to get carried away and forget who originally
asked this question.
I hope you feel better soon, it really is a scary feeling at first,
and still can be from time to time.
I hope you get some answers.
JoJo

I have that same feeling. When i had my endoscopy they said my esophagus had to be stretched. And told me no hit fluids for the day or it would shrink again.

I have osa too but didnt know that might be a connection. But i also havnt heard of the other disorder. How are you tested for it?

Bone marrow biopsy. People with EDS often have OSA.I am waiting for my consult with a genetics team.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders