Weight loss at 60

I have just turned 60. Last November I started swimming each day to try and lose weight. Between Nov and Jan I swam 40 miles. Didn't lose an ounce. Joined the gym. Worked out each day with the odd exception. Treadmil xtrainers rower bike, the gym computers said I was burning 400 cals a day. After a month the big weighin. Weight exactly the same although clothes feel a bit different (no not tighter). Now half way through second month. Is anyone else experiancing the same.

16 replies. Join the discussion

YES!!! And I know that is why they tell you to go by how your clothes feel and to take measurements. But the scale is soooo much easier and sometimes you just NEED to see those results. But don't give up, it WILL happen, we just have to be patient and stick with it. That's why it is a lifestyle change and NOT a diet!

Sadly my trousers still feel just as tight

Hi Robin, I admire your dedication. That exercise is doing a lot for your mind (releasing endorphins that make you feel good) as well as your body. All the coordination that goes on with swimming and being in the water is so good for the joints to keep you limber. This is an investment so that when you get into your 70's and 80's, if for example you fall, your bones won't be so fragile and your recovery will be faster and better. They say that regular exercise gives you back years. So while right now you aren't seeing a weight loss, you probably are gaining some youth years.

By the way, have you consulted with your doctor about how much weight you have to lose and worked out a meal plan?

This site here, Discovery National Body Challenge, has an on-line survey you complete to help you get that information too. And you can get a meal plan and work out plan here as well.

But probably the next area you could examine is your portion control and what you're eating. I'm in Weight Watchers and I've learned so much about that at the meetings where I also get a lot of in person support.

Good luck! Visit HIKER GROUP for more support. We're a friendly bunch and love to have you there.

Thanks for the encourgement. I own a narrow boat so I do a fair bit of hiking between locks.

Yeah, I'm 62.5 and lost about 35 lbs over 2.5 years. I have made big changes in diet as well as develop an exercise routine that includes cardio and weight training. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables, high fiber foods. I lost very slowly but developed new habits that I hope to continue indefinitely. I have changed my thinking to the point where this is not some gigantic effort on my part that demands big results, but this is the way I am going to live from now on and I can see the healthy results it has brought. I would like to lose about 8-10 more pounds but this seems like it might not happen. Fitness and nutrition are hobbies for me and this is the way I want to live.

Cant see that, if you are exercising surely you most lose weight as you are using calories, inmaterial what the machine says, my car says it does 42 to the gallon, I dont believe it.

Robin, don't give up on the exercise. I will be 60 in one month and since Oct. I have lost over 40 pounds with watching what I eat and working out every day. I also now use a food journal. I write down everything that goes in my mouth-good or bad. If you are not food journaling-try it. I also keep an exercise journal so I know how long I am exercising and what I am doing. I also wear a pedometer from the minute I get up until I go to bed. Sometimes when exercise isn't working than we have to take a look at other things and then "tweak" it a little like a little longer exercise or taking a closer look at what we are eating. so that we start seeing changes. Keep coming back. The support is awesome. Good luck!

Jeanne K - You go girl! and RobinAt60, don't get discouraged. I am now 61. Until I reached about 55, I had to struggle to keep weight ON. Once I passed that magic number my metabolism seemed to go the other way. The only way I controlled it was by adding power workouts to my routine. Machines are good, but they are so routine. You do the same thing over and over and your body accomdates for it. I teach 2 different fitness classes, and although we do many of the same moves in each class, we never do them the same way. You have to constantly be challenging your body to get your metabolism to take notice. I have only lost 10 lbs in 2 years, but I have dropped 1 clothing size, and dropped my cholesterol from 239 to 183. Keep on keepin' on!

Happy Birthday next month and thanks for the encourgement

Robin, while I am still a young one compared to everyone else who has responded, I can give you some advice. My Grandpa is 72 and he is in great shape, He has diabetes but other than that he is healthy as a horse. He says it is because he runs 10 miles a day. I think it is because he relaxes and enjoys life, he doesn't worry about the scales or anything, he just runs for him and to clear his head. He says he uses that time to be with God (he is a very religious man) and he says he uses it to think about his great grand-kids futures (my kids who are 3 and 5). I think with all things if you stress about why you are there or why you are doing something, that stress can have harsh effects on your body and can do the opposite of what you want it to do. I am sure that with the weeks of swimming alone, your body is toning up, remember the muscles below tone first and with muscle tone comes a higher calorie burn to sustain those muscles, even in their resting state. Good luck and don't get down!

Thanks

I'm 56 and have seen a real difference in weight loss this time too...Seems like it takes a lot of eating better AND exercise even to maintain. The exercise seems more and more essential though (building muscle)...I also keep a food log and give myself a shiny star for each 10 minutes of exercise a day (goal is 30-50 minutes on most days). I also try to vary my exercise more (weights, water aerobics, walking etc.)...I know losing the weight is possible (I've done it before), but it's much HARDER at this age (post-menopause now too). Thanks for putting it out there and good luck@!!!

Hi robin
I started a nutrition quest when I was 61 that was april 2003 . I wasn;t even trying to lose weight at the time I had allready estabished a walking habit . but getting the food right helped oodles
I began by cutting way back on unhealthy foods and increaseing fruits vegies and whole grains some nuts in moderation and fat free dairy lean meats
the usual recomended foods for a healthy diet I was trying to improve health and I was successful with the health goal the weight loss was a bonus.
I started out 247 and am currently maintaining 153...Most of the weight came off in the first year ...

http://mysite.verizon.net/jis4judy1/1/weightlo.htm

the above link show me after I lost 50 pounds and then after I achieved my goals
I used to believe I couldn;t lose weight because of my age I am happy to report I was wrong
Hugs Judy:)

Great pictures, Judy!! Wish I had thought to take a picture of myself before I started this journey. Usually I am the one taking the pictures. No matter what peoples age is, they can lose weight. Eat less, move more. That's my secret.

I am trying but it's slower since got off 50lbs I yoyo around that now.But clothes are looser,can feel a couple of ribs.I appreciate the stress point above.Work is too tiring,bs running about 30 points higher.I am 59.I will not stress about my weight loss.I look and feel better mostly.Thanks,Robin for this post.I hope you see that it comes off but things influence our metabolism even within a few months.I think you will suddenly see a pleasant drop.My husband didn't for 2 months back and forth 3lbs 2 weeks ago was down 9lbs,than this past week 2.5.So don't quit.He will be 63 in May.AndiB

encouraging, things feel loser but I sending the scales back, they must be faulty :-)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders