Swollen & stiff joints after activity...

I started a walk to run program this Monday. I started with a 5 minute, then I picked up the pace and walked another 5 minutes, then jogged 2 minutes. My right knee swelled the next day & was stiff. Certain ways I turn on my knee sent a shooting pain up my leg. This is not the first time I've felt the stiffness in my knee, it seems every time I do any type of workout like running or jump rope, any thing with a pounding motion on my knees. My right knee gets stiff & swollen for days.

Is there something I can do to reduce the feeling in my knee or is this swelling & stiffness due to my body getting used to my new found running? I don't want to stop running after just one try. Am I causing joint damage? I have no clue...? Anyone else have this issue?

9 replies. Join the discussion

I know all about knee pain! I injured it years ago and while it is getting better and better as I lose weight, it still barks at me after workouts. I always elevate my leg and ice it for 20 min after exercise. I do recommend that you go get it checked out by your doctor. He/she may recommend you get an MRI or just look it over and give you suggestions on how to protect it better.

Yea. I know I need to check with my doctor to see whats going on with my knee. Right now it seems to be just the right knee that bothers me. I just don't want to cause damage to my knee by continuing to workout on it with it being stiff.

Thanks for the info!

I have RA, so joint pain I get...I walk in the pool to reduce pain and swelling. I know it's not the same, but on those days when working out seems like too much pain, that's what I do.
cari

I agree with "aburnett". Get it checked out just to be sure. Ice is my constant excercise companion as I have Osteoarthitis in toe joints. It may be nothing! You may just have overworked muscles. Are you stretching? I have found if I do a few minutes of yoga before I excersise my joints and Osteo seem to be less severe afterwards. As a bonus, I start my excercise session with a much clearer head.
Good luck!

Lots of great suggestions so far! Here's a couple more, in case you have never injured your knee or have some underlying condition:

Make sure you have really good running shoes. You can find a specialty running store in your area that will help you determine the best shoe for you.
Also, running on concrete tends to aggrivate the knees &
other joints. If possible, run on a indoor track, a high
school track or even a treadmill.

Hope you get this worked out. I know know annoying it can be to get hurt & then get pulled out of your exercise routine.

Hey and thanks for all the advice. I don't do as much yoga as I use to. I do stretch though, before & after I workout be it walking, running or using my treadclimber. I did go to a running store for shoes, but I am running on concrete. So that could be whats aggravating my knee.

I mean this isn't the first time this has happened. I was using a jump rope on & off for the last few years to help build endurance when I started skating & the same thing would happen to my right knee. I was just curious if anyone had similar issues like arthritis or if my joints just were not use to the type of workout & if the stiffness/swelling would stop once I got use to running.

I do plan to check with my doctor when I get a chance to go. In the mean time I plan to do low-impact workouts to prevent possible injury to my knees.

Low impact workouts are a good plan! Keep us updated on how you are doing and what your doctor says!

I was just going to add that maybe you are not drinking enough water, and watch your sodium intake. Not sure if this is the reason but may help. Good luck:>)

Yes, please get the knee checked out. You may need a gait check as well. Go back to low impact workouts until you find out what is wrong. It may just be suprination or pronation because of your running style. Which part of your soles of your running shoes wear first? This will give some indication as to where the load is impacting and this may be affecting your knee. There are many other things to take into consideration as well. Make sure that you are always well hydrated as dehydration affects your joints. Fish oil is good for your joints and has actually proven to assist in fat loss.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders