stopped drinking 2 months ago

I feel that my biggest issues came from being such a heavy drinker. I noticed a lot of weight coming onto my abs as i drank more and more. Now that i have quit drinking, it seems as though the pounds have hit me much harder. i have gained 20lbs in 3 months. i thought by not drinking it would halt the weight gain. Now what do i do to counter all of the doubts that I am having about my choices? Does anyone have any ideas on meal planning that is healthier and easier to do than just following a menu? I find it very hard to stick to a menu plan. I would like to create one with healthy ingredients of my own choosing.

18 replies. Join the discussion

i know how you feel, every time i give up drinking i do not lose anything either. i am right now after all the holidays cutting out most of my drinking, just now once a week, lets see if i lose. i find that i want sweets more when i do not drink. I really do not know what to think, my cousin swears that drinking helps her lose weight. i know that wine has calories in it but i never see a change when i drink water with dinner instead!!
I am not drinking as much for my health not really for the weight lose. good luck

I hate to say it but my story mimics yours the weight just came on me out of no where and I didn't seem to notice. Like you I am trying to lose it and having a very hard time. I hope some one out there can help. Hang in there they say it just takes time, but I know its real hard at least for me not to drink when I don't see much weight coming off.

I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago, I found that my weight was creeping up too.. so decided I would lay off the drink. I have started to do weight watches. I signed up a year ago online so I am doing it myself, it is really easy to do the best thing about it, they plan your meals or you can type in what you are looking for and it will come up with lots of choices.. its fairly easy.. and if your having trouble figuring out what you want to eat, like I said just type in what your in the mood for and it will give you some ideas.. I like it. I have been using it for 2 weeks, along with a workout plan, which you can also look up on the weight watches site. if your having trouble losing weight and trying to find new healthy things to eat, this will help you out, I hope this helps.
Carol

Alcohol has a lot of sugar. So you still crave the sugar and many people eat more after they stop. What helped me was to give up sugar and watch portions.

I was horrified when I realized that 6 oz of wine has 100 calories. That isn't even a cup!! And I never drank just a cup... so stopping drinking has decreased my total caloric intake each day and I am losing weight (I also started adding exercise too). My crutch is sugar-free gum. Whenever I feel the urge to snack on something sweet, I have a stick of gum. When I cook, I have another stick (with gum in my mouth, I won't put samples of what I am cooking into my mouth!) It seems to be working for me.
Have you tried keeping a food diary? Keep a piece of paper on the frig and write everything down AS YOU EAT IT (or you will forget). Knowing I have to write it down keeps me from eating an entire bag of Cheetos... I wouldn't want anyone to know I was doing that! After a week or so, you may be able to figure out what is sabotaging your plans to lose weight. Write what and HOW MUCH you are eating... good luck.

I think it comes down to our addictions. I started drinking when I stopped eating. So I just moved from one addiction to the other. I decided to stop drinking over a year ago. Although I stopped drinking as often I found that when I did drink about once every month I would not stop until I was completely drunk. I am trying to walk everyday which really helps me unwind. I also read inspirational books that help me. I also cut out things in my life. I have two teenagers, a full time job, and was enrolled in a masters program. Although I was near completion I gave it up. I try to take each day as a new one. My hardest time to control my eating is a night so walking gets me out of the house for at least an hour, which is one less hour thinking about food. It also helps that I have the thought in my head that “I just walked; I am not going to ruin it with eating some sinful delight I have conjured up in my head”. I also try and keep my breakfast and lunch the same. I eat multi-grain cheerios with light soy every morning for a week then the next week I have low-fat cottage cheese with fruit. I always bring 5 healthy choice meals with me to work to eat. My favorites are Lasagna Florentine and Angel Hair Marinara. They are vegetarian and really hit the spot. Then If I eat a not so healthy dinner ever once in a while I don’t feel as much guilt. Hang in there and keep logging in and reading others post, it really seems to help.

First of all congrats on making the decision of not drinking. That is a huge thing. I am working on kind of the same thing. I was real big on having a few beers at night or on the weekends after the kids went to sleep. But the weight just was pilling on.I have decided not to buy any beer, wine or liquor to keep in the house untill I get a hold of the weight issue. But I haven't limited myself if my husband and I get to go out sometimes I might have a few drinks but that hardly ever happens. I have stocked up on bottles of water and the packets of crystal light raspberry ice. Its easy to grab and has a great flavor as an alternative.
As far as healthy meals, I have a strict budget to stick to so i have to cook for 2 kids, myself and a husband who is so thin i swear he has a tapeworm. I always make sure thatI start with a vegetable, not cooked with any butter but with seasonings.Then pick a lean meat. The main thing that I am learning is to pay attention to portion sizes. There are all kinds of web sites to get healthy recipes from just google and you will have lots to choose from. Good luck and hang in there.

thank you everyone for your support and suggestions. it means a lot to know there are others out there that have the same weaknesses and issues. this will be one battle i know i will win. thanks to everyone that is supporting OUR goal to become healthy, feel free to send as many suggestions as possible. Food is definitely my weakness. i love snacks because my kids do a lot of snacking. and my demon is chocolate. i find myself wanting to get up in the middle of the night and engorge myself, but the battle is already started. last night i laid in bed until 2am before falling asleep thinking about that guilty pleasure. for the first time in 2 years i didnt let that demon win. for me i have won at least one battle from this war

I have first hand experience with this issue as I have a lot of people in my family that are drinkers. Several have said that they were going to stop drinking due to weight gain, and others say they are going to stop due to health issues. I do not think that the alcohol is the issue of anyone's weight gain; however, drinking is the reason for weight gain. I know that seems like a conterdictive statement, but it does makes sense. The reason why people gain weight when they drink is because alcohol is a sedative. When you drink most people sit on the sofa.
There needs to be physical activity introduced during the drinking.
As for the menus.....i too have a hard time when it comes to following menu plans. I am a fairly picky eater, and have been adding more variations into my menus. I have started using Green peppers, Red peppers, onions, and diced tomatoes in my meals. I like to use ground turkey instead of ground hamburger. I use steam fresh bags to cook with rather than pan frying in oils.
I have found 3 variations to making tacos.
You will need 4 chicken breasts fillets (boneless and skinless)
taco seasoning
green chillies
green pepper
onion
re-fried beans

chop up green peppers and onions and place in steam fresh bag with chicken breasts. (place 2 pieces of chicken in each bag) steam for 8 minutes a piece. Let cooked chicken stand 2 minutes. Chop chicken into small pieces place in large skillet with some pam cooking spray. Add green chillies, peppers, and onions, water, and taco seasoning. let the mixture cook down. Heat taco shells and re-fried beans.
Place re-fried beans on taco shell, add meat mixture, top with you favorite toppings, wrap and enjoy!

I too have quit drinking. I find that writing down all that you eat helps a lot. I really don't stick much to a plan per say. I have oatmeal (instant packet) or yogurt for breakfast along with some type of fruit. Salad and some type of protein, fish or chicken for lunch and veggies and protein and a fruit for dinner. Usually there's a snack in there somewhere like a piece of cheese, popcorn, jello or some almonds...something light and usually crunchy. I drink a lot of water and herbal teas. I walk a lot and exercise too. Good uck and hang in there! It gets easier!

Thank you so much for your insights. I too have a problem drinking too much wine and have gained a lot of weight. I also thought that if I just stop drinking I will lose weight, good to knowI might not.

I am going to try 14 days of not drinking, working out 3x a week and walking when I can. I find I sit on the couch, drink wine and snack. I am pleased to find that there are others with an issue with drinking as I do, and that stopping drinking and losing weight is doable. I decided to do 14 days because when I look down the road with how much weight I have to lose I get overwhelmed. so 2 weeks is doable I hope.

Wow, I really thought that I was the only one struggling with the drinking issue. The problem is that my family and friends have always been drinkers. I have drank for 22 years now and have come to the conclusion that it is not worth it money or weight wise. Alcohol does pack on the pounds. Think of the empty calories and how much you drink. I know how much I have in a single sitting and it really is scary. I have not had a drink for two straight weeks. This is coming from someone who usually has one or two when getting home from work and then for sure on Friday and Saturday nights. I have noticed that my belly fat has reduced as well as the money in my pocket book increasing. I also believe that the alcohol has played a major role in my overall outlook of myself. In other words, it made me very moody. I exercise at least 5-6 days a week and drink lots of water, some coffee, and tea. But, please don't think that drinking helps you lose weight. Follow the advice given about writing down what you eat. I think that you might just be substituting the drinking with something to eat. Thanks to all for your input.

Hello Buday,
I too am trying very hard to quit drinking. It has been two weeks and I fight the urge everyday. I have been a drinker for a very long time. It is typical within my family and all of our friends, husbands side included. I also am keeping a journal and making a note to not have a beer or drink. It is hard but I am doing it and feeling so much better than those early mornings with a savage hang-over.

I am going on 3 months of not drinking, and 7 mos. of not smoking. Naturally, being an addictive sort of personality, I found myself over-doing it on the food, especially sugary treats over the holidays, resulting in an unwanted weight gain. Now I am working hard to get into a healthier routine and get a grip on this before it gets out of control, so that's when I joined this website. Lots of good advice and tips on this page alone. Like Denise1972 said, logging in and reading other peoples posts does seem to really help. So, good luck everyone and don't quit quitting!

sdavis 2000 one day is great, we have to take it one day at a time. I gave in and drank on Saturday. I had a dinner for my girlfriends and one brought supplies to make these wonderful drinks. As the night started I sipped very slowly and tried to keep busy cooking and cleaning as we went on. After dinner I really felt the pressure and they kept saying drink up your way behind. I ended up drinking more than I wanted to but I did not get toasted. How do you tell people that it a problem without offending people. I don't want to come across as a snot I just really don't think I am ready to play with alcohol right now. I even have alcohol in my house for cooking, and I don't mess with it. However I give in when I am with friends or family that pressure me. The problem is they may drink a few and be ready to go home and end the night.Meanwhile I am up after they leave still drinking alone wanting more and more.

denise,
i find that pure will power is what keeps me away from the drinks i know i wont be able to stop. if your friends and family already know you are trying to stay away from the alcohol then you should not be afraid to offend them when you turn down their offers. i would politely remind them of your concerns and goals. if they continue to urge you then let them know they are offending you. YOU are the most important person in your journey to quitting. Dont let your friends pressure you into drinking because youre worried about offending them. when you forget your goals and allow them the power of you not only have they gained the upperhand but you have fallen yet again off the wagon. just remember your goal. ALWAYS KEEP IT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU AND DONT LET ANYONE TRASH IT. show it off proudly to the world. no matter how long you decide to stay away from drinking always remember that you made the decision and only you should be able to change it. peer pressure can affect even the strongest of people. but will power can only be affected by you

Thank you that is very true. I really have not told my friends and only a select few in my family that I have issues with alcohol. I guess maybe it is time to tell them I have only admitted to it myself in the last 6 months.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders