Starch free diet

My Doctor put me on a starch free diet because of me diabetiesand I have in three weeks lost 17 pounds.
I can not have potatos , pasta, bread, or refind sugars or anything that has it in it. However I can have all the meat I want and fruit ,and vegies except corn , potaos and peas because high starch. But steal eat a lot of good foods.

14 replies. Join the discussion

Good job! 17 pounds is 3 weeks shows some serious dedication. I don't have diabetes but I eat this way. When I stick to this plan I feel great and look great too! I eat mostly meat and eggs. My biggest problem is avoiding processed meats like hot dogs and bologna ( I love fried bologna). As long as I stick to plan I don't have cravings. If I go off plan at all it is like going over a cliff. I use my crockpot a lot because even plain meat tastes good out of the crock pot. One of my favorite things to eat is eggnog: 2-3 Raw but pasteurized eggs, 2-3 T heavy cream, 2-3 packets sugar free vanilla flavored coffee sweetener (powder or syrup). Beat and eat. Yumm!

Did your doctor recommend any vitamins? I'm curious because I've been meaning to read up the recommendations. I take some vitamins, calcium, and fish oil when I haven't eaten salmon or tuna (which I eat often). I try to avoid "low carb" food bars, but occasionally rely on them when traveling or when I can't get away from my desk at work. I rarely eat fruit, but when I do it is almost always fresh, plain blueberries in plain (not low fat) yogurt. That is so good!
I should change my name to "Unsolicited Recipes."
Nice meeting you, and keep at it:)

Yes I take a multi vitamin. I will lose this weight and It will all be worth it in the end.

Hi all!

Good to hear there are others who are low carbing. I really do well when I cut the carbs, although I do miss eating lots of fruit. New to this site and never participated in a site, so this is all new to me.....will check in to keep up with what's going on. How do you know which area to go to to chat or do you just browse?

I just browse and I am fairly irregular at that. I have been "a regular" at some other sites, mostly not food related, where I joined groups and friended people. I normally enjoy that, but I'm just in a busy place right now. I haven't even looked to see if there are groups for low carbing on this site. I also haven't even seen the TV show that appears to have inspired this site but I keep meaning to.

I also miss fruit. Actually I miss all carbs in a way, particularly Reese cups and Fritos. But when I low carb I don't find them irresistible. I have two open bags of Reese cups in the cupboard that my kids had leftover from valentines and I haven't even thought about eating any. When I do eat fruit it is almost always blueberries.

I am a low-carber too. My dr recommends it because I am type II diabetic and on medication for it. Its pretty easy for me to stick to (except on Valentines day!) and I feel better when I cut out all the carby food I used to eat. Good luck to you!

I am sorta on a low carb. I have type 2 also. I just cut out all white products [grits, potatoes, rice, bread, cookies, cake, alcohol and donuts...] I still keep in 3 friuts a day, apples and berries for smoothies or cereal...also bananas...I have lost 60 pounds in 7 months since 7/21/08 when I began my journey...I work out so I need the natural carb for the energy...good luck sisters!

Congratulations on losing 17 pounds. i think I'll try your regimen. I am not losing and losing the battle of trying to limit my calories. Do you also count calories or just eliminate the starches?

Virginia

Way to go to you all! Nice to know I'm not the only one out there who is tempted. I do real well during the week, but it goes to heck on the weekends lately, for some reason. Slacked off on the exercise also. Time to get back on track. (In the tail end of a remodel job on the house).
To Virginia, the nice thing about eating low carb is not having to count calories. When you cut out all the refined foods, your cravings go away for the most part. I find I'm not overeating like I used to.
I haven't seen the TV show either. Thanks for the advise on browsing. Nice to have found a place to talk to others like myself.

Please be careful!! Not getting enough carbohydrates in your diet can dramatically decrease the amount of serotonin being released in the brain. This can and will make you tired and can lead to depression if continued. Look up forums on the ADKINS diet. That was their biggest flaw. A well-balanced diet is the only way to go to have lasting results. Talk to your doctor before trying a no carb diet. It can be very unhealthy for your mind. It's great to look nice, but not at the expense of your happiness.

I've read books that say that low carb is bad for a number of reasons and have read "Potatoes not Prozac." It just doesn't seem to be true for me. I haven't ruled out the possibility that I am an anomaly of some kind:) In fact, it is likely. I think people can take a number of approaches to limit weight: limit calories, limit fat, limit carbs. I find that for me, when I follow a low carb diet of mostly meat and eggs, with some yogurt and veggies such as spinach and asparagus (avoiding refined "low carb" products) I feel much better than when I try to follow a low fat diet or a low calorie diet. My mood is both better and more stable. I do exercise also and here's another crazy thing--I think most people need more sunshine and less sunscreen. Sunshine helps my mood a lot more than vitamin D in a pill/milk. I don't mean get burned and I don't mean lay out to get a tan, but get outside and move around--especially this time of year.

Anyway, good job to all the people here who have lost weight on their various plans.

My Dr suggested I try a low glycemic approach to eating. No white stuff by mouth. ;-] I just decided today that I'll try it for awhile since I need to loss 60 pounds.

Thanks for the concerns. I, like Amytay seem to feel best when I control the white stuff. I do eat lots of veggies, low fat meats and fish, yogurt (I learned to make it), and some fruits. I do love grains, but as soon as I eat them, I blow up like a balloon! I would like to follow a vegetarian eating plan, but when it comes to the grains and whole grain pastas, I can't seem to stop eating.......and gaining. I guess we all have to do what feels best.
GrannieLisa,
Kudos to your doctor, most just want you to take a pill!

I eat every thing I want except potatos , Bread , pasta , and refined sugars. I do not think it is the Atkins Diet. In fact I feel better than I have felt in a long time. I still eat my fruits, veggies, I even eat oat meal every day with splenda and a glass of milk. I do not think my Dr would put me on this diet if he thought it would hurt me. This is so far working very well for me alng with lots of prayer and and my Lords help anything is possible and I am trusting him.

Thank you and congrads to you!!!
This is going to be a wonderful experince.
I know it did not come on me over night and it want come off that way either. It's going to take determination and hard work and lots of prayer but I want give up.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders