Seasoning for Beans???????

I understand that pinto beans are very good protein and low fat. I am from the deep south, and we cook beans of anykind, we throw a big chunk of fat back in there. There goes the healthy part. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I could season these beans with that will make them taste like southern cooking?

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi! I'm in Texas and yes, pinto beans are low-fat and very good. My mom taught me to cook them with bacon or even better a big ol' hambone,but when I started cooking low-fat I gave up the bacon. I cook them all day in the slow cooker. Cook them in water. Buy a bag of cubed ham. I store it in a zipper bag in the freezer. When you want to cook beans, just take a small handful of ham cubes out and throw them in the pot, a half to a whole sliced onion too. I also put about five jalapeno peppers in them. When they are done, add salt and pepper. I put mostly pepper now days. I promise you they are sooo good,you will want to lick the bowl!!! As a matter of fact, now that you mentioned them, I believe I'm gonna have to cook some tomorrow!

I do the same except I make meatless chili out of mine.

Thanks guys! I did cook them most of the day in slow cooker. All the season that I added was onion powder and some garlic. When they were done, I tried some with Salsa. I know it sounds disgusting, because I thought the same thing. But honestly they were very good. My little 2 year old at about 1/2 cup of them with the salsa.

Do you drain the water? I think if you cook the beans in the water that they were soaked in they taste better (if you use the soaking method) If you do soak them overnight then take the foam off the top with a spoon and use the water to cook the beans. I use ham chunks and onion for cooking also. I put jalepenjo slices in after they are cooked. My family love them.

I used to put the hambone and the bacon in mine also. But now I just like them plain. I got used to the taste after the last time I had to lose weight, and I have since then just cooked mine, and added the pepper and/or salt in them after they were done. I also just open up a can of them from our local Save a Lot store and cook them on low for about 1 hr. and then add the seasonings to them and they actually taste like I cooked them all day and I didn't have to worry about left overs, or over eating since a can only has about 2 1/2 cups in them I have enough for a meal for hubby and I or a meal for me with a few in the fridge for later, or tomorrow.
You can add all the chili seasonings to them and have a vegan chili and that is good too, but I kinda like plain old Pinto beans. LOL

Sugarplum, many beans including pintos are great with salsa. We eat them in tacos all the time. My DH used to make them with some seasoning from Goya, but it had MSG so we don't use it anymore. Mostly I buy them canned and we warm them in broth with peppers and onions, garlic powder, chili powder. Yum, pintos. :)))

Try cooking them in low-sodium stock and use turkey parts instead of ham, less calories.

I am a northwesterner but I am the queen of beans around here. Cook the beans with chunks of chicken breast. Add celery, onions, carrots, green, yellow and/or red peppers, garlic and chicken boullion. Use a lean cut of pork loin - baked first to remove the fat. You can eat it thin or soupy or thicken the broth with corn starch. OR add canned tomatoes, chilis or jalapenos or serrano peppers. Change the beans for great northern, navy beans, kidney beans, or black beans or even use a combination. Add corn, yellow/green zuchinni, and/or cilantro.... Every pot I make is different. I serve it with different breads each time too - low fat cornbread from krusteaz is a favorite, high fiber whole wheat bread from my bread machine, whole wheat crackers, are good things but I am known to serve biscuits mixed with chunks of cheese and green onions on occasion.... Wish I had a lower fat version but I generally reserve those for the vegetarian beans.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders