my weight is at a stand still what can I do.Is a cry for help!!

I am not giving up though the skill is not moving,I am still trying my best to keep going strong.I work out so hard and eat what is right.It looks like I am gaining muscles because I am not gaining nor loosing.I need some help and insight.Am I doing anything wrong that I dont know.someone please help the sister out.Is a cry for help.

11 replies. Join the discussion

Velbra,
I've suffered from this problem for years and you have to fight thru it. What are your weight loss goals and how are you attacking it? I've learned that you really have to increase your cardio and do strength training. Strength training increases lean muscle mass and burns a lot of calories. I workout at Ballys and my center has a class called powerflex. it's a total body workout that is amazing. The class is an hour long and is held 3 times a week. i've been taking the class for a few weeks and along with cardio, i've dropped inches and pounds.

Hi Velbra!
Have you tried keeping tracking of your progressing health in other ways? For instance, taking your measurements in addition to weighing yourself? If you are indeed gaining muscle, I bet you will find that your measurements are going down...

Hang in there!
-patti

Me TOO! I lost 5 clothing sizes a year ago - wham bam in a 3 month span and then NOTHING!!!! I continued to work out 2-3 times a week 1.5-2.5 hours each time, walking 1 mile a day, and continued to eat a low fat, low carb, high fiber diet and yet n-o-t-h-i-n-g. Then I went on vacation - a fantastic cruise with fantastic foods. I was oooh soooo careful by merely sampling the foods and not eating the full portions and I continued a rigorous aqua aerobics work out at the motels we stayed in after the cruise and went snorkeling almost every day while walking miles between. I put on 5 lbs which I now cannot seem to lose. I am still dieting and working out - 2.5 hours daily and while my tummy muscles seem to be getting firmer my pants are still too tight.

Surely there is something we need to eat or do to boost our metabolism to get over this hump. I would buy an over the counter diet aid if I wasn't so afraid of them.

I recently started introducing 100-200 calories more a day than I had been eating, and that actually got me over a plateau. It turned out I had been eating too few calories for the amount I was working out, and so my body had gone into starvation mode and was holding onto every little morsel I put in my body. I was eating 1400-1500 calories a day, but because I work out 6 days a week and tend to burn about 500-600 calories with cardio and weightlifting, my body needed a little reassurance that I wasn't going to stop feeding it. So I bumped up to 1600-1700 calories a day and it's really helped. Also, shaking up my workout helped because my body had sort of gotten used to the routine I was on. Some days I do the elliptical, and others I do the treadmill on an incline, and other days I do rowing. It keeps my body guessing and it makes it hard for it to stop burning calories and go back to "normal".

Try mixing up your exercise a bit. Your body may be getting use to the exercise your doing. Try bumping up your weights, or exercise longer or both. Also if you haven't been doing this already, write down what you're eating. Try to consume more vegetables than anything, fruit the next, lean protein third, & whole grains lastly. If you are consuming more grains, then drop a serving & replace it with a vegetable. If you do this you are more likely to pass through your plateu. Good Luck!

Word on the street is that plateaus that last for more than two weeks are usually caused by consuming too few calories. Try adding 5% more to your intake. Can't hurt, right?! At least you'll be able to rule that out.

It does sound like your body/metabolism has gotten used to what you are doing... I like the other people's suggestions about changing it up...maybe take a different class (dance, aerobics, boxing...something DIFFERENT).

The Doctors TV show presented a newer diet "4 Day Diet," by Dr Ian Smith." It was an interesting proposition where you change up your diet every 4 days (there were something like 7 different 4 day phases to work through). His program was pretty specific about what you eat during each module, but maybe that could get you off the plateau...

Good Luck!

thanks GQ. my weight loss goal is 25lbs.I work out really hard 7days a week for 45mins to an hour.every other day I add weight training. not forgetting I tried to eat right and stay as far as possible from junk food. I eat mainly friuts veges and protein.and drink only water no sugary drink at all.I have also stepped up my cardio by doing interval training.what else can a sister do to keep going on? like I said I will not give up.either I loose the weight or the weight loose me lol.

thanks to all of you for the love, support and concern you showed to me , I will take your advices and put it into pratice.merci beaucoup.

Hey V,

you gotta stick with it i was stuck in a rutt for almost 3 weeks and was doing cardio like a monster then i started doing weights arm and leg weights on the machines and then i also started incorporating more clean calories like good protein i like protein shakes as well and now my body is starting to respond finally.

so you may just need a routine change but please dont stop or give up you owe it to yourself/

Hello,
I have been succesfully losing since 10-29-08, I am down 70 lbs with 30 more to go. The last month I have been plateauing. I just started to increse my food to around 1400-1600 as of Tuesday. I am counting all calories, carbs, protein and fat.
I too work out 7 days a week for 60 min of cardio always switching what machine im on I burn around 600+ cals per day in adition 3 days a week I do weights. I was wondering how long it took you to get losing again? What kinds of things do you eat? I eat 5 servings ofveggies, 3-4 of fruit, 4 protein and 2 starch.
As of this week I started adding a little goody snack per day either no fat ice cream of course only 1/2 cup, or something comparable popcorn or something.
Always staying within cals, carbs, etc.
Please help.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders