Low Carb diet not working!!!HELP

This is the first time I have ever been on Low carb diet I have heard alot of people losing weight from it so I wanted to try it out.I was living on a low fat meals before I started my low carb diet. I weighed 187lbs goal is 170 lbs after a week of dieting on my low carb diet my weight is 195,yes it went up how can that happen??? !!! I was shocked been on the diet now for 2 weeks staying below 20 net carbs a day. I would like to know why I gained weight and why I'm not losing weight PLEASE HELP! I have always done great on a low calorie diet why cant I lose weight on a low carb.Do I count my meat as carbs too?? because I have been eatting around 16 carbs a day not counting my meat.I started to count my meats as 1 carb even to see if that helps.My sister been on a low carb diet before and did great.she doesn't know why I gained weight and haven't lost any.I'm getting so upset I was planning on going to my doctor to see why this diet not working.S.O.S

Edited March 24, 2009 at 9:02 am

13 replies. Join the discussion

There are hidden sugars everywhere and there is not many things that are "no" carb. Eggs have like .6 per egg, even though they are kind of listed as a "free" food as far as carbs go. Coffee is another, it has .6 carbs in a small cup, a few cups a day and you have 3 or 4 carbs right there. Carrots and onions have a few hidden in there as well, so if you eat them in salads you have to count them, tomatoes as well. Sauces have a lot of hidden sugars, ketchup, bbq sauce, marinades, dressings, etc. You have to keep a close eye on the small amounts that add up, hope this helps a little. I have to keep on eye on my intake as well, I have diabetes and the things are that are hidden can really get to you!

Before starting a low carb diet you need to read some books so you know what your doing otherwise there no point in doing it if your doing it wrong. Stop worrying about losing weight really fast and start your goal to one to two pounds per week. If I were you I would just stick a clean diet. Otherwise you have to worry about all the carbs and what you can or cant eat. Also writing down a few day of what you eat will help.

Thanks a bunch. I learned that Splenda has almost one carb per package thats almost 2 carbs per drink! I never counted Yes eggs do have carbs but does my red meat?I don't add onion in my food not tomatoe's and don't eat sauce.I think it was my drinks w/ Splenda that was making me go over 20 carbs.I was drinking about 8 carbs a day I wasn't counting.I have some Dreamfield pasta its taste great with only 5 net carbs!I wish they would mark food if it has any carb even .08 I did buy the ketone strips maybe that will help.

I have been on a portion controlled "diet" since mid-Jan. and have lost 21 pounds. I watch my calories and eat correct portions and choose better food options. I also exercise, on average 4 times per week at the gym. For me, any diet that limited what I could eat was not for me. I like being able to eat rice, potatoes and pasta...just keeping the portions under control. Just thought I would share my "success". I have a goal to lose 50 more, and I know I can do it.
Whatever works for you...keep it up and keep moving. Above all else...exercise is key...get out there and move. Best wishes.
Kathy

Low carb diets are not always good for you and I've read about a couple of studies comparing different diet plans where the studies showed that at the end of a year, the low carb & Atkins type diets didn't help people lose any more weight than other diet plans. You can get really good fiber & nutrition from carbs like brown rice, steel cut oats, whole wheat pastas & breads, etc.

This is a surprising result. I would look closely at everything you've been eating and look for carbs in unsuspected places. Eating out is one place. "Burgers" and hot dogs can have tons of carbs. If you buy at the grocery you can check the label, but even the people serving these at restaurants may not know what's in them. Serving size is crucial also when counting carbs. Many products like cheese can appear low carb, but most people eat what is 2-3 times the serving size on the label. Low carb diets work like a chemistry experiment. If you are a little bit off, it changes everything dramatically.

I think you should either figure out what is going wrong, (yourself or see a doctor) or change your diet plan. Obviously you shouldn't continue the way it is. Let us know how it's going.

You still need to control portions on a low carb diet. You don't say how much of certain types of food you are eating, but some people think that they can just eat bacon and eggs all day long and lose weight, and they call that a "low carb" diet. A true low-carb diet, as the Atkins diet, calls for controlled portions of LEAN meats and fish, with lots of veggies in the induction phase. I'll bet if you really wrote down what you have been eating every day, and counting up the calories, you will find that you have been eating way too many calories.

Honestly, I would chuck that low-carb diet out the window. First off it is restricting alot of what a person eats, which means people tend to fall of that wagon fast. I mean some of these diets say no fruits and even some veggies (boo in my book, lol). Secondly, carbs are a building block of what keeps us healthy, providing an energy source which we need to assist in getting us through the day. What I would suggest is not limiting carbs, but looking into getting good carbs into the diet. Look for products made with whole grain, instead of the bleached junk you find in white breads. Look at fruits, veggies, whole grains, fibers, etc. and you will find yourself in a much happier boat.

I tried a couple of time to do the low carb thing and it didn't work for me either... always ended up gaining weight and not having any energy either. If you want to keep up with the low carb diet, up to you... but my advice would be forget it and just stick to a reasonable eating plan, including moderate carbs so you have the energy to add in some working out. You say you have done well on low calorie diets before... why not go back to that since it works for you? Also... even though the red meat you are eating isn't a carb... all that protein can contain a lot of fat depending on how it's prepared, and can also impede your body's absorption of any vitamins you are taking in... just some things to think about...

Hi,
I am also having that trouble. I was going to a doctor where I was getting shots for getting rid of fat, b shot for making me move more, and a pill phen phen to help me slow down my eating. WELL, IT DID NO WORK. I am now seeing a diabetic dietician and she said I was having too much fat. (I am trying to get rid of it and I was getting more of it!) Anyway, I am going to follow a diabetic diet, hopefully that will help me and maybe you can do something like that or weightwatchers. thanks Norita

Thanks for bringing this up again Norita! You've opened my eyes to some areas that I may be slacking with. Appreciate it! Donna

Good points, everyone.
sweety - like your advice.
Norita - diabetic diet would probably be a healthy idea for most people (and a challenge, LOL)
My 2 cents - did you journal? Did you measure? Ask your doctor to refer you to a dietician/nutritionist and review your food logs and adapt as indicated.
Most of all, don't give up. You CAN do this!

There are a lot of faults with no-carb diets. I have written an article here: http://cfmcorrectivefitness.com/?p=82 that explains how carbs work and how to work with them to lose fat. Understanding what's going on is the first step for success.

Dave Smith CES
www.cfmcorrectivefitness.com

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders