Losing weight after 60 years old

I am 60 years old and on the weight loss journey yet again. I have just in the last week or so started to eat intelligently again instead of eating anything I wanted. I also have started walking on the treadmill again every day. Just wondered if there was any others like me out there fighting this fight. I think our problems are special because it's harder to lose the older you get.

15 replies. Join the discussion

I found that it isn't so much the age thing as overcoming the years of bad information. Us oldies have a harder time with the new ways.
But I also found that losing body fat and getting healthier is actually easier after I hit 60.

Ok, tell me your secrets then!!! I have this menopause pouch thing going and I don't even want to talk about the "love handles!"

I'm 62, and I have lost 33 pounds since I was 60. There has been a lot of sweat, consistent movement and healthy diet. I lost very slowly but the important thing is to keep going. I'm finding I move better now than at 52.

I still have some belly fat and muffin top but I don't expect perfection just improvement. My waist is 29 which is a healthy measurement. Keep at that treadmill, do dvds, walk outside. Don't be afraid to sweat.

I do sweat every morning on the treadmill. I live in New York so walking outside is not a possibility at this time of year. As soon as the weather breaks, I'll be back outside. I'm considering joining Curves. I also have some back issues going on but went to the doctor last week and he said walking nor Curves was going to hurt me so I guess I have the go ahead on that.

Hi Sailorsmom, I'm a 73 year old great grandma and have been workig on my weight issue since the first of last year. I found it harder to lose then when I was much younger. I had lost about 30 pounds last year but then I spent the month of Jan. in Florida where I walked but ate to much...Then we went on a cruise where we exercised some but again ate way to much. Now I'm up about 10 lbs. But am going to get back on track starting today. I live in the mountains of Va. and we have a lot of snow on the ground and it is snowing again so I will have to work indoors...But I have a treadmill,exercise bike, a WII Fit and lots of work out videos.
I find this sight a lot of encouragement and new ideas. I also have joined weight watchers. But I have been losing very slowly which I have been telling myself is the best way. Just hang in there..Eat healthy and move, move and then move some more and we will achieve our goal. Good luck to you and others out there like us.
Carol

Greetings! I will be 60 the end of March. I can't believe that I just wrote that but it's the truth. 60 used to seem so old but now that it's 6 weeks away I guess it isn't so old after all. I started trying to get healthier in early Oct. 2009. Since then I have lost 40 pounds and want to be as healthy as I can be by the time of my birthday. I have exercised for years but didn't eat right. Now I am watching what I eat, food journaling and exercise journaling every day. I want to be around to see my grandchildren get married some day. I want to be as healthy as I can be for many years. I recently read that 60 is the new 40. I like that! Hooray to all of us who are working hard to get and stay healthy!!

Hi sailorsmom.
I started on my Nutrition Quest when I was 61 that was in 2003 , I have been on my new lifestyle plan all this time
the first year and 4 months removed 97 pounds of unwanted fat ...
today my waist is 29.5 inches
I walk at least 45 minutes a day outside in New England It is cold out there I dress warm and hoof it ...
I do some weight lifting with dumbells.. 2 times a week
there is hope just eat as healthy as possable use portion control and move more,, the end of this week I will be 68 and stll going strong
Hugs Judy:)

Congratulations on your loss. I think anything we can do to keep ourselves healthy and moving is a plus. I'm not looking to wear a size 8. I would be very happy to wear a size 12 thank you very much.

I know what you mean about actually saying 60. I told everyone last year that I wasn't having a birthday and don't even ask about my age. I had a bad time with that number. Now it's over and this June I'll be 61. It's just a number I guess. I do like the idea of 60 being the new 40. That works for me.

Yesterday at work I said something about when I got married in 1969 and the person I was talking to said "you got married in 1969?" I thought you were 50. So that's good I guess!

I walk on the treadmill everyday. At least the days my Grandchildren aren't here. I've been going strong for a couple of weeks now. I don't lose weight by walking though. I sweat when I walk so I know I'm walking fast enough but I'm not going to lose weight just by walking. It's going to take doing something besides walking. I know walking is good for me though so I'll continue to do it.

Congratulations on your weight loss and Happy Birthday! I love to hear things like that. I love to hear about people taking control of their lives and being the best they can be. That's what I'm going to do. I wanted to do it before I turned 60 but that didn't happen. Now I'm looking at 61.

Not quite 60 yet - turned 55 a couple of weeks ago.
I was surprised that even going thru menopause that I was able to lose weight quite consistently. I just watched my calories and exercised everyday. I am actually surprised at how toned and slim I could get my physique at my age - but it can be done. My stomach is flat as a board (my waist is 25.5) - but my skin is loose and wrinkled - and not much exercise can do about that.
Pilates is great core strengthening. Weight training really helps to "sculpt". So - even in the later years - there is still hope to have a good body and be healthy.
The skin is another whole matter - that unfortunately doesn't pop back into shape. However, clothes cover most of that! You can still do it! It ain't over 'til it's over!
Ei

Went shopping the other day for new underwear (bras). Whoa, can't believe the saggy skin. Looked at the upper legs and they are wrinkled too. I am proud of losing over 40 pounds in the last few months just don't like the wrinkles. Oh, well, I am going to keep working out and maybe the skin will shrink just a little or maybe not. Life goes on. My journey to good health goes on. What are a few sags and wrinkles? I just keep thinking that 60 is the new 40. I will say that all day on my 60th birthday in about a month.

Hi Jeanne - One of my daughters recommends using a lotion with collagen to help with the wrinkles. I haven't been disciplined enough to remember to do that regularly but moisturizing will help a little. But you know, I'll take the wrinkles with good health anyday over that extra weight (and being a little less wrinkley)
Great job on the 40 lb loss!
Ei

Going shopping this afternoon any way so maybe I will check out the stuff with collagen. I, too, will take the wrinkles with good health over the extra weight any day!!!

I am 61 and I hear ya, honey. I never had to worry about weight until I crossed the magic "55" line. Used to struggle to weight enough. Well, those days are long gone. What has been a savior for me is becoming a fitness instructor at age 59. I started attending some classes, and when the instructor got sick they asked me to sub, and long story short I got certfied to teach. It is really an inspiration to me because I HAVE to attend - I'm the teacher! I have lost 1 clothing size in the past 2 years, only about 10 lbs, but gained muscle. It's hard to ignore the call of chocolate tho. Hang in there. We can do this!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders