Going to bed hungry???

So i usually eat dinner anywhere between 5 and 6pm and then by 10pm (like right now) i get hungry. But i've learned over the years that my digestive system doesn't like when i eat late at night, if i do, i wake up with a nauseous sick feeling in my stomach that lasts all day so i make sure not to eat past 8pm. So basically what i'm asking is...is it ok to go to bed hungry?? I'm hungry now but i know its too late to put anything in my body unless i want to feel sick all day tomorrow. And i keep track of my calories and i am eating an adequate amount of food throughout the day.

13 replies. Join the discussion

Try running in place for 10 or 15 minutes or do some jumping jacks. Exercise always curves my hunger. Or at least it takes my mind off of feeling hungry.

I can't exactly tell you when to eat but if I eat my dinner before 7:00 .....again within next 2 hours I usualy eat a fruit/small bowl of cereal/fatfree yougrt[anything 100 calories].......
Praveena :)

I am the same way, if I eat too close to bedtime, I wake up starving, feeling sick to my stomach, so if I am really hungry before going to bed, sometimes a cheese stick or a handful of almonds, or even a low cal or low fat yogurt helps. When I do go to bed, feeling hungry, (but am able to kind of ignore it), I wake up feeling tons better than if I did eat something heavier the night before.

eat a banana....105 calories and provides a "full" feeling.

Just go to bed and don't think about it. or think about this....we(americans) have noooo idea what it means to really go to bed hungry. Does that seem harsh.I am sorry but I agree with the nuts, string cheese too, but there is many nights where I fight with myself to stay away from the frig because I think i am hungry. i just go to bed feeling better about myself for the self control(will power) I had. That is...like you said that you had your calories for the day. Sometimes I just make myself some de-caf green tea, which takes a while to drink(cuz its hot....Mcdonalds disclosure there) and often its enoough to calm my belly and the time to drink it relays to my brain as full.

jaroven, I've thought the same thing, and you are so right about us (and me) not really knowing what it is to go to bed "starving". I've thought of that often enough, in fact, I try and play a headgame with myself and tell myself that I'm just a little hungry, and I think about how so many others that really are hungry, starving and there have been times I felt disgusted with myself after giving in and gorging. I feel guilty at times when I think, "all I have to do is open the fridge, open the cupboard and there is always something available". And how others aren't as fortunate. I actually have been donating to the food bank here, but for animals. Instead of people having to give up their animals, the food banks are trying to have supplies/food for cats and dogs. I do also give a $ donation for food banks as well/for people.

I saw something on TV that often our signals for hunger and thirst are misinterpreted. So lately, I have a glass of water before bed, and if that doesn't work I have fruit or sugar free jello =) Good luck, and have a great day!

I have the sugar free jello about an hour before bed if I get that hungry feeling. The ones that I eat are only 5 calories. There are some days, that I feel I could a t-bone steak and baked potato before bed. So, I know exactly what you are talking about.

Also, when I start feeling hungry and I do not want to eat, that is when I write in "my weight loss journal". I write down everything I feel like I did good that day, and any bad things that I may have done. I write down goals I want to reach, just whatever is on my mind I guess. It keeps my mind off of the food. (sometimes)

Good Luck

I went to bed hungry many nights when I was on the Special K diet. You burn calories while your are sleeping so I think from personal experience that it's ok to go to bed hungry. I lost 30 lbs in 2 months doing this. I'm starting the Special K diet again tomorrow and will continue it until I lose 45 lbs. If you stick to it, the pounds will drop

Thanks everyone! I will start drinking water before bed or maybe a cup of tea if i get really hungry.

I think it is odd that you get sick if you do eat - I have the other problem, I cannot sleep if I don't eat and my blood sugar plummets. I generally will tank up on something like a graham cracker and glass of soy milk or a bowl of raisin bran. One of the diet experts on the Today show said that it was myth that we cannot eat before going to bed - it is all about total calories just save a few from your earlier meals to use for nightie night snack. However, if you get sick from eating, perhaps you have a digestive problem and should focus on what foods are the triggers.... Lactose intolerance? Fatty Foods, Sugar Foods, High Acid Foods, complex carbs vs simple carbs....

I think a snack would be okay, as long as you don't gorge (and of course count it into your daily calories) or try eating six smaller meals a day, as opposed to three large meals to help feel fuller throughout the day.

I think it's ok to feel hungry once in a while. The book The Beck Diet uses cognitive therapy to help you diet. This means changing your thoughts about things--about hunger for one thing. In the book she says that it is not an emergency to feel hungry. I think that that thought is what has stayed with me from the book. If you make it a habit not to eat at night or just to have a small snack, you will probably stop feeling hungry then. Your body is designed to want less at night. You say that you are eating adequately during the day. That should be enough.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders