Exercise options at 400 lbs.

I received the following question from "mykhenry:"
-------------------------------
Hi, Can u help me to find ex I can do? I am about 400lbs right now.My knees and legs are very painfull,what can I do safely but will still get my heart rate up? I am so afraid I will hurt myself,or have a heart attack if I do too much. Any help would be appreciated.I am soo scared to try anything,but I'm more scared of dying if I don't.
Thanks so much
diana

-------------------------------
I understand that it must be difficult for you right now to figure out what to do. The important thing is not to quit. It can be difficult to start doing traditional exercise with very high weight, painful knees/legs, and a high fear factor of harming yourself.

To begin, look for opportunities to move more as you go about your day. Force yourself to use your legs more and arms less when lowering yourself to sit in a chair or when getting out of one.

If there is some housework or other home-based task that takes you 30 minutes, try to quicken your pace and do it 25 minutes.

Take a short walk in your neighborhood only to a distance you feel comfortable with. Note how far it was. The next day try to go farther by picking a target object like a tree, street light, stop sign, or anything else that you will get to on your next walk. This will add a small distance to the ground you cover.

If you have access to an aquatic facility, try a couple of water exercise classes or simply get in the water and move around. The buoyancy of the water will help give you some relief from your legs having to bear the weight and will make it temporarily easier to move.

In general, try to look for more activity opportunities for your lower body while avoiding too much repetition, and perform strength exercises with your upper body. As your muscled and joints get stronger, then you may begin to look into sustained activity that might get your heart rate up.

With people in your situation, I take a "feel better first" approach and worry about the endurance a little later on.

Hope this helps you get started,

Jonathan Ross
National Body Challenge Fitness Expert

www.AionFitness.com
http://blogs.discovery.com/jonathan_ross/

8 replies. Join the discussion

Thank you so much Jonathan! I took your advice and signed up for a water aerobics class for people with weight problems and physical restrictions. I am excited to start next week.

Cheers!
diana

Love your enthusiasm and thrilled to hear you've taken the first, most important steps toward better living. Keep us all posted how it's going!

Jonathan Ross
National Body Challenge Fitness Expert

www.AionFitness.com
http://blogs.discovery.com/jonathan_ross/

Water aerobics is wonderful - you may be surprised what a good workout it is - I know I was! I started biking regularly several years ago and was able to take weight off and get in good shape. If you have an old bike in the garage, take it to your nearest bike shop for a tune up. If you are worried about balance, they make tricycles for adults now - from very basic ones to fancy recumbent trikes. Good luck whatever you do. Good job on the water aerobics classes!

I avoided the whole scale and go 10 feet then 15 till I had to get weighed and foud the number was 75 pounds heavier than I thought thanks for being slim and yet understanding the fear and pain some of us have at 365 pounds. The idea of going in the water sounds good.

Hi mykhenry,

Jonathan is right about the water exercise. I'm 400+ and I love it. It's soooooooo much easier exercising in water than on land and you feel refreshed when you're done. You will get a good workout and you'll sleep better at night.

I am down to about 280 from a start of 400+

I started using the isometric and self resistant body building program you can find at Transformetrics.com
I have the same username there as well.

No weights or equipment to buy.
Pack on muscle.
Burn fat.
Low impact.
Safer that weights and machines. (Did I mention I have dropped about 130 lbs?)

Check it out.

I just recently read an article about a woman who started going to a water aerobics class when she wieghed close to 400 lbs. Now, at 271, she is leading the class. Have fun and enjoy yourself and realize this is just the beginning.

Kevin Trudeau has a audio cd out that gives simple suggestions, most heavy people don't sleep enough, don't drink enough WATER, don't walk enough, (walking helps the stomache digest food), don't eat enough raw fruits and vegetables, it's a 30 minute cd with gobbs of suggestions. it's called lose 30 pounds in 30 days.
I lost 20 pounds over a 2 year period. 165 to 145. I took my time, after trying too hard and hurting myself 2 years ago. I drive a lot and now do most of my exercises while I drive; also in the shower
I push pull on the steering wheel, do leg lifts etc. I started at 5 percent strength for 8 months then 10 percent. now I do low and high strength depending on how I feel. I am in mid 40's. I do about 250 different exercises.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders