Does the Ab Lounge work?

Hey I have been doing crunches and yes I am firming up some but they hurt and I was just wondering if anyone has the ab lounge and if it really works or is it just one of those machines that they make to just make money? Thanks!!!

11 replies. Join the discussion

If you are looking to maintain form, then that would be good for it. What is hurting? If it is your neck, then you may be tugging on it too much if you actually grip the sides of your head with your hand. I actually lightly touch my ears to avoid using my arms to physically pull my head and shoulders up in to the crunch, and really focus on lifting from my stomach.

My neck yeah...I have had to kind of adjust how I do the crnch with the bent knee. Instead of putting my hands behind my head I stretch my hands over head and then bring them down toward my feet when I come up. I have tried to do it the other way but I always hurt myself

I've tried that and gave it away. I didn't care for it, but I really like the balance ball. You have more motion to arch backwards (and have the support of the ball). I hold my neck also, otherwise it really bothers me. You can even lay almost sideways on it and do side-type of crunches. They're pretty cheap and you can do lots of other exercises with them, they either come with a DVD or cards.

You can have my Ab lounge if you want to pay the shipping. I didn't have that much luck with it! As far as I'm concerned it just another Gimick thing. I'd stay away from the info-mercial stuff and invest your time into a couple of sessions with a personal trainer.

Most gyms have one that you can book for a hour.

Save your money. They might be a little useful for a short time for someone who does not have the correct technique or strength to do core exercises. You should be learning this anyway. I know the infomercials tell you that you will lose kilos & gain a six pack. This type of exercise you could do all day and not burn the calories that you will from other forms of exercise. You might get the six pack, but it will still be hidden under fat layers. If you must invest that kind of money for something to use in the home, go for an elliptical. This will give you cardiovascular exercise and burn more calories. I can stay on mine for 1 1/2 hours with a good DVD. When you first start on one, 10 minutes is enough and you can build on this. Don't forget to do some strength and core work as well.

It def works for me..I use it usually 3 days a week..Starting at 255 using it, ive def seen MAJOR change in my abs..Id def reccommend it..slim

i've got a ablounger. it seems like it works for me, i feel a difference, plus i do most of my crunches in my bed lol, that works for me too.

i dont think it works at all. myself and two other family members, and we have all given up on it. i can do crunches on it for hours and feel no burn. and BELIEVE me im not in shape enough to not feel anything in a workout

Hi NavaehsMommy06,
Please save your money. I found a description of the Ab Lunge Sport which says, "The Ab Lounge® Sport supports your body, especially your head, neck and back through the entire ab exercise....resulting in no more stiff necks. Because you are up off the floor you experience a total range of motion for ultimate results."

Huh? I could post a long time on what's wrong with that statement but in a nutshell here are my thoughts. No gadget, gizmo or machine can give you rock hard, six pack abs. I've talked to countless clients who've ordered machines like the Ab Lounge and been very disappointed.

Getting flat abs is best done the good old fashioned way; sound nutrition, cardio training such as interval runs and strength training. Some of the best ab exercises involve your own body weight such as push-ups, assisted chin-ups or the plank to name a few. Enjoy that $100 you just saved.

Be inspired,

Valerie C. Merriweather NASM, ACE
Discovery Health Fitness Expert
National Body Challenge

www.fitwellsolutions.com

I think that the ab lounge is a great tool for those who are NOT apt to use a stability ball or will NOT do floor crunches. Sometimes, what works, works. Although it's not the best device on the planet, it does have some advantages. If it gets people who normally would not do any crunches at all to do them? I say hooray! I have a friend who refuses to do crunches on a ball or the floor because of her lower back. I bought her an ab lounge off of Craigslist for $20 - she uses it! Her abs are defining and she loves it so it's NOT a waste! Maybe it's not the perfect machine for the more experienced person but, I believe it's a great way to get beginners and those who hate exercise motivated. Once they see improvement, and inches lost, they might be more prone to continue.

I would have to agree with the above statement. The Ab Lounge is not the cure all, but if used properly works. I was former Army and was in good shape, then slipped a little. I started jogging again, combined with the Ab Lounge, now I am right back on track after a few months.

So, like almost any other exercise equipment, it works when used frequently and in the intended fashion.

Later, Ben. And good luck!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders