Humira

My husband is going to start taking humira injections for his crohns and the joint pain, does anyone (Randynoguts) know anything about this drug?
I have read a little bit about it and from what I read this may be exactly what my husband needs to get his quality of life back, he is miserable and needs to feel normal again.

Denise

20 replies. Join the discussion

well im not an expert but i have had no problems so far. in fact, a possible improvement in some areas. i really thought it was healing my fistula pretty good but it got back to draining last week. :-(. but how bad would it have been if not for the Humira? who knows. it stings a bit when its injected, but not everytime for some reason. if you have a choice the auto pens seem the best from my other contacts. thats what i use. clean and efficient... tell him good luck

How long have you been on the humira? so just possible improvement not great improvement?
My husband is taking enbrel now and uses the auto pens.
We are hoping for huge improvements in how my husband feels, if not then this will be such a disapointment.

Thanks
Denise

I just started taking Humira for the 2nd time. I first went on it a little over a year ago and had success with it overall. It did clear up all but one really bad area of inflammation. I eventually had to have another surgery and had to stop taking it. Another flare started recently and i'm back on it and hoping it will do its job again. The pens are easy to use and I've had no side effects other than a little bruising at the injection site. Tell your husband to give it a chance because it can take several weeks before he feels better. I hope it works as well for him as it did for me.
Laurie

Thanks Laurie, did you have joint pain and fatigue? This is a big issue for my husband more than his flareups. He really don't get bad flare ups just right after he eats something not good or to much he is in the bathroom but as far as long flareups he does not get these. He just feels like crap 24/7 with joint pain, fatigue and sometimes stomach.

Thanks
Denise

I have been on humaria for a year. I take a once a week injection. In 17 years this has been the only drug that has helped besides the prednisone. I have not noticed any adverse side effects. My energy level is way up and it has greatly reduced my joint pain which was a major problem for me. A bit of advice the injections are much less painful if you give them in the stomach

Thanks for the reply, your experience with the humira sounds promising. If my husband could just get rid of the joint pain and the fatigue this will be huge.
He does give himself injections already of enbrel and he gives them in the stomach so he is a pro at this :)
Thanks for the help.

Denise

sorry denise, i have been on it since about early sept. give or take a couple weeks.

Well we just got notice that my husband was approved for the humira. we have kaiser ins. and sometimes they do not approve things, so this is a good thing. He will start this weekend with the injections. Thanks for all the help. I will let you all know how it goes.

Denise

Yes, I do have joint pain and fatigue, but the Humira will help that also (Humira is also prescribed for Rhumatoid arthritis, which is similar to Crohns arthritis in that they are both inflammatory). As the Humira kicks in the fatigue will also get better..
Laurie

My husband just started the shots yesterday, they had him take 4 injections at once, then 2 more in 15 days then once every two weeks from there on out. We both pray this works..

Denise

My husband is actually starting to feel better, he did his second set of shots of the humira and is noticing more energy and feeling better. We still need to give it more time but so far so good. This is just a miracle if it continues to work and make my husband feel better.

Denise

Just and update, My husband has been on the humira for a few months now and it is not working. The loading phase seemed to work but after that the joint pain has gotten worse and is having some flare ups.
They just put him on prednisone last week and it is helping but will only be on it for a week. This is so discouraging, we really thought this was going to help him.

Denise

thats too bad, i would give it some more time i think though.

hi. i first started on humira in march of 2006. i used the standard injection syringe as the auto-pen did not yet exist when i started on humira. i liked to use ethyl chloride spray (numbing spray) before the injection which helped some with the intense burning i felt as the medicine went in, i then would ice for several hours and many times would get brusies afterwards that sometimes would blister and peel off...i still have scars on my thighs from the injections, BUT humira DID work for me. i am currently NOT on humira because i've had too many septic and MRSA infections in the last several months for my infectious disease doctor to want me back on humira. humira is also supposed to work better if one also takes an immunosuppressent like 6MP (Purinethol, 6-mercaptopurine) or 6TG (imuran, azothioprine), i take 6MP and have taken it for almost 6 years. i have joint problems caused by Remicade which is another biologic drug, simillar to humira, but remicade contains mouse protien and humira doesnt. just know that humira, while i think can be a great treatment choice, has its own risks, if you get sick, a cold or the flu, PLEASE see your doctor ASAP, and let them know that you take humira and if you also take an immunosuppressent, the combination can make you much more susceptable to infections and the flu and especially now with this swine (H1N1) flu going around...IF you DO get sick with a cold, flu, or infection, ask your doctor if you should SKIP your humira until you're better...when ever i have gotten a cold, or infection or have needed surgery my doctors have had me STOP the humira...preferably ONE month before and until ONE month AFTER surgery (if at all possible) and in the past at least ONE month after being OFF antibiotics...but after spending nearly 8 months in the hospital in the past year, my infectious disease doctor would like me to stay OFF humira as long as possible. i honestly believe that humira really did HELP me, but also believe it contributed to the infections...unfortunatly when you have serious illnesses, serious mediciations are the options and should be explored and discussed throughoully. every medication and treatment option has risks and benefits, and its up to you and your doctor(s) and your family to decide what the best option for you.

oo and one more thing, Humira has a patient care program where they'll send you information on humira and will also send you FREE sharps boxes!! if anyone is on remicade, they also have a patient care program called remicare and they sent me a blanket to take with me to the infusion center...many of the medications have patient care programs where they provide information on the medication and the disease for which you're on it, and also will often send you "treats" like blankets, sharps containers, travel cases (for humira), among other things...

It sounds like this drug could be really dangerous, not sure it is worth staying on expecially if my husband is not seeing much relief.
Thanks for your input.

Denise

I have been taking Humira since June of 2005 and it has helped me a great deal. I take a shot every ten days, but I don't use the pen, I found that to be too painful. It has helped both with the CD and my Rhumatoid arthritis as well as another condition I have, Hidinitis Supperativa (sp). While it has not been a cure all it has helped a great deal. Since I can't take steriods, and am allergic to Remicade this has been helpful. When I first started taking Humira it took it about 3 months before I started seeing a real change. I haven't had any side effects from it at all. I hope your husband is doing well.

Emily

Hi, all this is my first post! My DH has had severe Crohn's since age 24 and is now 67. He is currently taking Humira injections every two weeks. He has two abdominal fistulas which we had hoped would be healed by the Humira. . . but no luck. However, it does cut down on the drainage so we continue with it. I don't think it is the "wonder" drug for Crohn's we all had hoped. DH is prednisone dependant, can't function without it. Nasty side effects, but everything about this disease is a trade off it seems. I wish you and your family well.

Hey all. 25 year old (me) has had CD since I was 10. Took prednisone (spelling?) when things got bad, but case is pretty mild. Started purinethol about five years ago, and haven't had any problems at all, no more steroids, so nice. But now I have a very very small amount of bleeding, and new Dr. wants to put me on Humira. It seems like Humira is only for more severe cases, and there are more severe side effects. Should I do it, or up the dosage of purinethol? I don't want to reach the ceiling of options, is there anything above humira if it doesn't work?

Humira is suppose to be the last resort from what I last read (last summer). Any immunosuppresant is risky. I haven't taken anything but Asacol - it works OK. I only take it when I have to of course - during a bout. Every now and then I'll take a course of antibiotics but they mess up the digestive tract, inhibit protein synthesis, etc. Everything has its pros and cons.

I don't understand why nearly all drugs for IBD are immunosuppresants. The reason for IBD is not always the same - theory was that our body is attacking itself but not anymore.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders